[sci.electronics] "Smart" Houses, Cars, ...

Ed_Meyer@mindlink.bc.ca (Ed Meyer) (04/20/91)

> faustus@tartarus.uchicago.edu writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <faustus.671992759@tartarus.uchicago.edu>
>
> Org.  : University of Chicago
> Person: Kurt Ackermann
>
> I am interested in information on "smart" houses, the
> kind that automatically adjust heating/cooling, lights,
> sprinkler systems for lawns, answer/forward phone calls,
> manage alarm systems, etc.
>
> Anyone have information on these?
>
> How about individual components mentioned above or
> similar features?
>
> Costs? CPU involved? manufacturers? Literature on this?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated!!
>

> --Kurt Ackermann
>
> faustus@gargoyle.uchicago.edu

Kurt, there are many current manufacturers of "smart"-whatevers, but I think
the next wave will employ some "goodies" from Echelon.  There Neuron ICs (I
disagree with their use of the term "neuron") being manufactured by Motorola
and Toshiba (if memory serves) are going to change the way control systems do
things.

I was at a seminar on Thursday (here in Vancouver, Canada) and was impressed.
They have done things "right" for Local Operating Networks (LONs) -- stuff I
tinkered with over 10 years ago -- and have a list of the who's-who preparing
and manufacturing products for market.  Give them a call in California (sorry,
my lit' is packed in preparation for moving) and I'm sure they will be glad to
inform you.  Of particular interest may be their 9600 b/s over-house-wiring
unit(s) available in the near future.  Maybe some others on the net can help
out.

Cheers,
        Ed Meyer