[sci.electronics] "smart" houses

faustus@tartarus.uchicago.edu (Kurt Ackermann) (04/18/91)

I am interested in information on "smart" houses, the
kind that automatically adjust heating/cooling, lights,
sprinkler systems for lawns, answer/forward phone calls,
manage alarm systems, etc.

Anyone have information on these?

How about individual components mentioned above or
similar features?

Costs? CPU involved? manufacturers? Literature on this?

Any help greatly appreciated!!

--Kurt Ackermann

faustus@gargoyle.uchicago.edu

dave@dlb.uucp (Dave Buck) (04/22/91)

In article <faustus.671992759@tartarus.uchicago.edu>,
faustus@tartarus.uchicago.edu (Kurt Ackermann) writes:
>I am interested in information on "smart" houses, the
>kind that automatically adjust heating/cooling, lights,
>sprinkler systems for lawns, answer/forward phone calls,
>manage alarm systems, etc.
>
>Anyone have information on these?

I recommend a subscription to Electronic House mag., which does
a reasonable job of covering the field ... they list themselves as
covering "Advanced Housing and Home Automation".  Bimonthly,
30-40 pages, 1yr/$14.95, 747 Church Rd, G-11, Elmhurst, IL 60126-1420,
(219) 256-2060.  A number of advertisers there can give you info
via the ever-so-popular bingo cards accompanying each issue, plus
of course direct contact.  So-called "standards" such as CEBUS and
Smart Home (House?) (TM, I'm sure) are frequently referenced.

I run a mailing list on this topic, where people sometimes send
out their queries or describe their projects, in which you might
find interest ... contact
{amdahl|ames|daver|netcom|sun}!dlb!intelhouse-request
for more info or to join the list.
--
Dave Buck	{aeras,amdahl,ames,daver,netcom,sun,zygot}!dlb!dave
D. L. Buck and Associates, Inc.; San Jose, California 95119; (408)972-2825