[sci.electronics] Remote stereo destruction- truth or fiction?

rcte2q@jetson.uh.edu (04/16/91)

I have heard this story some several sources.... An E.E., who hates loud music,
builds a device that can cause a stereo system to self destruct. When teens
pull alongside his car with their subwoofers kickin', all it takes is a push of
a button, and the sonic pollution is stifled....

My question is, is this a B.S. urban legend or not?

I would think that, since many power amps are designed with a wide bandwidth,
all it would take is a sufficiently strong ultrasonic signal to overload the
amp... which begs the question, how would one inject souch a signal into a
stereo system 10 feet away from you...

Just something to ponder over.

   --l.liska, UofH

lrk@k5qwb.lonestar.org (Lyn R. Kennedy) (04/17/91)

rcte2q@jetson.uh.edu writes:

> I have heard this story some several sources.... An E.E., who hates loud musi
> builds a device that can cause a stereo system to self destruct. When teens
> pull alongside his car with their subwoofers kickin', all it takes is a push
> a button, and the sonic pollution is stifled....
>
> My question is, is this a B.S. urban legend or not?
>
> I would think that, since many power amps are designed with a wide bandwidth,
> all it would take is a sufficiently strong ultrasonic signal to overload the
> amp... which begs the question, how would one inject souch a signal into a
> stereo system 10 feet away from you...
>
> Just something to ponder over.
>
>    --l.liska, UofH

If he's listening to the radio you could inject a signal there. I
think a 20 Hz square wave on FM would be exciting. If he's using
the tape or CD it still might be possible using an AM transmitter.
Reminds me of the good-ole-days on 80 meters. Pull in to the Dairy
Queen and place your order over the jukebox........

                 lrk@k5qwb.lonestar.org        lrk@k5qwb.UUCP
73,              utacfd.utarl.edu!letni!rwsys!kf5iw!k5qwb!lrk
Lyn Kennedy      K5QWB @ N5LDD.#NTX.TX.US.NA
                 P.O. Box 5133, Ovilla, TX, USA 75154

-------- "We have met the enemy and they are us."  Pogo -----------------

whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (04/21/91)

rcte2q@jetson.uh.edu writes:

>I have heard this story some several sources.... An E.E., who hates loud music,
>builds a device that can cause a stereo system to self destruct. When teens
>pull alongside his car with their subwoofers kickin', all it takes is a push of
>a button, and the sonic pollution is stifled....

>My question is, is this a B.S. urban legend or not?

It could be done, maybe, perhaps, I guess, if you sent a signal of extremely
high amplitude out on the frequency of the station  the kids are listening
to... The speaker's coil would become a coil gun and shoot the cone 40 feet
away...
--
whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM | I don't know, who's at DDSW1? | whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM!
I asked YOU who's at DDSW1! Ok, there's a guy at DDSW1, right? | Right!

gt0869a@prism.gatech.EDU (WATERS,CLYDE GORDON) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr21.051154.18708@ddsw1.MCS.COM> whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:
>rcte2q@jetson.uh.edu writes:
>
>>I have heard this story some several sources.... An E.E., who hates loud music,
>>builds a device that can cause a stereo system to self destruct. When teens
>>pull alongside his car with their subwoofers kickin', all it takes is a push of
>>a button, and the sonic pollution is stifled....
>
>>My question is, is this a B.S. urban legend or not?

Legend or not, this would probably require the broadcast of EXTREMELY high
levels of radio frequency, thus being most lokely ILLEGAL. You also would
not only destroy the one offender, but also anyone else tuned in to the
same frequency. I would hate to be you if anyone found out( visions of
brickbats and Uzis fill my head). As for direct injection into the system
wiring- notvery likely- most amps are wired with shielded cable , usually
of GREATER shield percentage than most RF applications since internal
noise in the car is such a problem with stereo installation.
Moral: it most likely won't work, and heaven forbid if anyone found out
if you managed to do it(jail, fines, broken bones, death, etc.)
note: the abive should be taken with a few :-) if it is not already obvious.
My$.02
Gordon.

--
WATERS,CLYDE GORDON-Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta Ga 30332
******<LANGUAGE IS A VIRUS! - Laurie Anderson-Home of the Brave>*******

dag@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (David Geiser) (04/24/91)

You don't need to destroy it to have fun.  It's pretty easy to
make it wail like a mashed cat.

dag
"Keep the smirk off your face for self-protection."