[sci.electronics] room shielding

digex@world.std.com (doug e humphrey) (04/13/91)

I am building out a computer room in my basement, to hold all of
the fun machines that are sitting around running and producing
bad EMI.  Not a real problem before, but now I am getting into
shortwave and other DXing, and suddenly my basement seems like
a bad place to receive anything at all.

Since it is basically new construction, it might be the time for
a faraday cage type of enclosure.  Since my chances of getting
the local fusion lab to cut an enclosure loose for me are low,
I will have to do it myself.

References as to books on the subject (leaning toward the practical,
since I want to get this done fairly quickly) and places to obtain
materials would be welcomed.  Ways to cover the power lines and
phone lines coming in, and of course the data lines going out of
the room would be useful too, etc.

Thanks.  Hope this is a fun discussion for all of you too!

Doug Humphrey
Digital Express Group
Crypto Systems Division (this week...)

agengcc@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (Gordon Couger) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr13.031643.3772@world.std.com> digex@world.std.com (doug e humphrey) writes:

>I am building out a computer room in my basement, to hold all of
>the fun machines that are sitting around running and producing
>bad EMI.  Not a real problem before, but now I am getting into
(stuff deleted)

I would start by getting some thin sheet iron (not galvinized zink

fumes will kill you) cut them out to fit floor walls and ceiling and
solder all the joints. Cover the windows with hail screen and
electricaly connect it to the walls. Doors should be plated with

steel and connected to the sheild. All power lines should be in
conduit properly grounded. Ideally the computer room should have its own
electrical service on a seperate transformer. Ferrite chokes and rf
opto-isolation of all rs232 lines and parallel would be nice. The lines
should be carried in conduit grounded only at the computer end. I would
think that isolation of the computer ground and the radio ground would
be very helpful.

This is best performed on the third day of the new moon accompanied by
the sacrifice of an administrator, an elected official or a any number
of lawyers.
Battery powered computers seem to cause me less trouble in the shack.

Gordon
agengcc@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (Gordon Couger)

the sacrifice of an admistrator or
the sacrifice

opto-isolation
bypass capacitors across the AC at every outlet. Opto isolation
conduent

>since I want to get this done fairly quickly) and places to obtain
>materials would be welcomed.  Ways to cover the power lines and
>phone lines coming in, and of course the data lines going out of
>the room would be useful too, etc.
>
>Thanks.  Hope this is a fun discussion for all of you too!
>
>Doug Humphrey
>Digital Express Group
>Crypto Systems Division (this week...)

bame@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (Paul Bame) (04/15/91)

Conductive paints have been advertised for the purpose of shielding
rooms at reasonable cost.  I know nothing of their performance and
only dimly remember seeing an advertisement in Radio Electronics (no
doubt there are lots of ads in the right Industry rags) within the
last 6 months.

			-Paul Bame
			bame@hubble.sde.hp.com	N0KCL

robf@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (Rob Fugina) (04/18/91)

In article <6560012@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM> bame@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (Paul Bame) writes:
>Conductive paints have been advertised for the purpose of shielding
>rooms at reasonable cost.  I know nothing of their performance and

This reminds me...  I would venture to say the most effective way to
sheild a room is to line the walls with lead...  (This comes from the
fact that I work (over the summer...I'm a student) in a hospital lab
which is located where the radiology dept used to be located...  we
couldn't pick up a radio station if the transmitter were accross the
street!

Rob

Nandu@cup.portal.com (Narendra J Kulkarni) (04/24/91)

There is a wallpaper like covering made from iron/metal shavings, I have seen
it used to shield rooms for FCC testing. It is fairly cheap about 50c/sq.ft
and comes in different strengths probably based on conductivity. If u need
more info send me e-mail at nitinj@chips.com and I will send more info

charlies@hpnmdla.hp.com (Charlie Sallberg) (04/25/91)

 We recently built a "low-cost" shielded room here at HP for an antenna
 testing range, using two layers of foil-backed wallboard on both sides
 of the metal 2x4 framing (4 layers of foil total). The seams of the foil
 were taped with 4-inch wide aluminum tape. The seams of the two layers
 on each side of the wall were also staggered.
 The ceiling was done the same way, and for the floor, sheet aluminum was
 laid down, again taping all seams between panels and where the floor meets
 the wall.

 I measured > 60 dB of shielding effectiveness at 1, 5, & 10 GHz for these
 walls.

 Handling the penetrations for lighting, other electrical, doors, etc. is
 the trickiest part of any shielded room, but others have already made some
 good suggestions for some of those.

 I believe the foil-backed wallboard is generally available anywhere, as I
 think it's designed to provide a vapor barrier for normal construction.

 Charlie