[sci.electronics] High Tension Wire Hazards

John Moore (04/17/91)

Subject: Re: High Tension Wire Hazards?
Date: 16 Apr 91 19:55:52 GMT

In article <1991Apr16.195552.13826@ucselx.sdsu.edu> Shahad Naqvi writes:
]>>the government (she refered to "Bush administration") is "holding up" the
]>>release of the study.  I sincerly hope this is not true (both the results of
]>>the study and any government action to delay its release).  But nonetheless,
]>>if such a study existed I'd like to hear about it.
]>
]>I have seen a couple of studies pointing out a higher incidence of cancer
]>among people who lived close to 3 KV distribution lines.  However, there
]>was no causation indicated anywhere.  Perhaps the higher cancer rate was
]>caused by the huge number of herbicides used near the lines, or the fact
]>that more power lines tend to occur in built up areas.  But I have not seen
]>any studies involving the very high voltage long lines.
]I have written a paper on the effect of Low frequency Electromagnetic
]fields [LF/ELF] which are produced by high volatge transmission lines
]and power transformers.  There is an increasing evidence of the correlation
]between the 60 Hz EM fields and various kinds of cancer.  Childhood leukemia
]is one of the major ones.  The 1st extensive research was done in the the
]1970's when the relationship b/w leukemia incidence and the proximity
]of the victims to the nearby power transformer was determined.
]The US govt, for some reason or another continues to say that the evidence
]is inconclusive.  It is not hard to imagine why.  [I'll leave you some food
]for thought].  The evidence is fairly alarming but little is being done about it
][I can provide the recent statistics and research if required]
  I think that would be of considerable value to the net.

Some comments here (replying to the several posters quoted above):
  (1) The government did NOT hold up the study, contrary to what the nurse
      said. There was controversy over whether the results indicated a problem
      or not, and there were allegations that the "government" pushed for
      the "no problem" conclusion.
  (2) All of the evidence that I am familiar with deals with the biological
      effects of ELF MAGNETIC fields, not electric fields. These are likely
      to be most significant, to most people, from low voltage sources such as
      house wiring, electric blankets, appliances, etc. Physics will show
      you that low frequency magnetic fields penetrate tissue far better than
      electric fields - the body is essentially a short circuit to electric
      fields, since it is a good conductor (once through the skin).
  (3) (replying to the person in a previous post who argued that because
      we cannot come up with a physical explanation, there must be no
      effect). I cannot buy the argument. I am aware that the E-field
      forces should be many orders of magnitude below naturally occurring
      forces. However, we are talking about B field forces here (which should
      also be low). There are several ways that extremely low (below the
      noise level) forces could cause effects:
	-resonance (which acts to raise the SNR by reducing the "bandwidth")
        -chaotic amplification - a highly nonlinear system may be susceptible
   	  to very low level forces, and may show unusual resonances.
        -larger than expected forces: there may be magnetic particles in the
         body that are large enough to experience larger forces than predicted.
      In any case, to deny the existence of the phenomenon on the basis that
      we don't understand it (and we THINK that we can rule it out on known
      physical principles, but without serious analysis) is specious. As another
      poster pointed out, it has taken a long time to reach a significant
      understanding of the carcinogenesis mechanism of cigarette smoke, but
      the hazard was recognized well before the mechanism was even vaguely
      understood. At the very least, an examination of the evidence is in
      order.
  (4) Evidence includes:
      -Epidemiological studies showing correlations between ambient magnetic
       field strengths (at 60Hz) and childhood leukemia. The herbicide
       explanation fails to explain this - there is no reason to expect,
       in the study that was done in Denver, that herbicide application
       would correlate with residential neighborhood field strengths. However,
       it may be that PCB exposure would - the highest fields were nearest the
       transformers, which may have contained PCB's. I would be interested if
       some knowledgeable person on the net could respond to the PCB
       conjecture.
      -Experimental studies showing tissue response to ELF magnetic fields.
       Dr. Ross Adey has been doing these for decades, and other researchers
       have also. A lot of work has been done to rule out artifact in these
       studies - precisely for the reason that the physical mechanism is
       not yet known. Other researchers have also done these sorts of
       studies. In order to throw out the EM-leukemia conjecture, you have
       to explain these studies.
  (5) We are talking about a very WEAK effect here. By that I mean that the
       risk is very small. I realize that to someone whose child develops
       leukemia, this is small comfort. However, a 1.5x increase in child
       leukemia rates in some areas is still a relatively small risk. In fact,
       if it were a large risk, there would be little debate about this
       issue, since the evidence would be obvious. As a society (perhaps as
       an organism) we tend to overemphasize small risks relative to large
       risks. The child exposed to relatively high EM fields is still in much
       more danger from automobile trips than anything else. This doesn't mean
       we should ignore the issue - it does mean we shouldn't do anything
       rash.
  (6) There is a popular book out that covers this controversy. It is by
       Paul Brodeur, and the name escapes me right now. It has interesting
       data in it, although I should caution that it is, too me, irresponsibly
       sensationalist and alarmist - and FAR from scientific. It does, however,
       give pointers to where to find the real scientific literature.
  (7) Brodeur and others allege coverups by government and the electic
       producers. I should point out that much of the research that has
       purported to show the effect was funded by EPRI - The Electric Power
       Research Institute. They do not seem to be suppressing the results.

pierson@cimcad.enet.dec.com (Dave Pierson) (04/18/91)

In article <4023@anasaz.UUCP>, John Moore writes an, in my opinion, EXCELLENT,
summary of the situation, from which i quote, in part:

>  (2) All of the evidence that I am familiar with deals with the biological
>      effects of ELF MAGNETIC fields, not electric fields.
	Second this.  And the studies showing effects, in lab settings, are much
	stronger than the links to electric fields.

>  (4) Evidence includes:
>      -Epidemiological studies showing correlations between ambient magnetic
>       field strengths (at 60Hz) and childhood leukemia. The herbicide
>       explanation fails to explain this - there is no reason to expect,
>       in the study that was done in Denver, that herbicide application
>       would correlate with residential neighborhood field strengths. However,
>       it may be that PCB exposure would - the highest fields were nearest the
>       transformers, which may have contained PCB's. I would be interested if
>       some knowledgeable person on the net could respond to the PCB
>       conjecture.
	There are a couple of interesting things i have heard from professional
	studies of the Denver (and similar Southern California studies).  I do
	not have sources, but the speakers were professionals:
		1) As John points out, the Denver correlation was weak.  I
		believe it was one case away from being statistically
		insignificant.

		2) In the case of the Denver studies (Wertheimer(?) et al) no
		field strength measurements (electric or magnetic) were done.
		When, after the fact, (some years after the fact) a seperate
		study revisited the same locations to measure the fields
		(magnetic only) they found no correlation between the (later)
		field strengths and the earlier leukemia rates.  This is not,
		obviously, "cast iron", it is intriguing.  What is curious is
		that the "California" study found the same effect, with much
		less time lag between measurement of field and diagnosis of
		leukemia:  A weak correlation between postion of wiring and
		leukemia.  NO correlation between measured field strength and
		leukemia.
>  (5) We are talking about a very WEAK effect here. By that I mean that the
>       risk is very small. I realize that to someone whose child develops
>       leukemia, this is small comfort.
		From memory, the strongest correlation found was a doubling
		of the risk.  By comparison, the first study of smoking and
		cancer showed a ten times increase.

>  (6) There is a popular book out that covers this controversy. It is by
>       Paul Brodeur, and the name escapes me right now. It has interesting
>       data in it, although I should caution that it is, too me, irresponsibly
>       sensationalist and alarmist - and FAR from scientific. It does, however,
>       give pointers to where to find the real scientific literature.
		Currents of Death.  I have not read it, but assume it covers the
		same ground as Brodeur's extended three-parter in June, 1990
		issues of New Yorker.  I was less than overwhelmed by the New
		Yorker article.  As to pointers, Brodeur, interestingly, fails,
		I understand, to mention the existence of a professional journal
		(name escapes me...) dedicated to the field.  Curious omission.

If it hasn't been mentioned, the Office of Technolgy Assessment, an arm of the
US Congress, prepared a survey, ca 100 pages, ca 1989.  The exact title escapes
me (Biological effects of ELF Fields, perhaps?), about $8 from the US Government
Printing office (if its in print, it was last summer).  Value for money, with
extended footnotes and bibliography.  This is not the "delayed" report.

thanks
dave pierson			|the facts, as accurately as i can manage,
Digital Equipment Corporation	|the opinions, my own.
600 Nickerson Rd
Marlboro, Mass
01752				pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com
"He has read everything, and, to his credit, written nothing."  A J Raffles

will@rins.ryukoku.ac.jp (will) (04/18/91)

	Acually, I really think that this study is a JOKE..  The Russians did
this same study years ago, I read about it in fact 11 years ago, in a book
written on this exact topic, I don't remember the Name, but I may be able to
find out.  The book was written by some American researchers that were following
the Advances of the Soviets in EMP studies and their effects on people.

	In fact, I haven't seen the document you guys are refering to.  But I
would bet it is a word for word copy of the Soviets research.  Another worthless
effort by Americans, always re-inventing the wheel and wasting money that can
best be used else-were.

						Will.....

will@rins.ryukoku.ac.jp (will) (04/18/91)

	Pardon me, elf not emp, I must be going crazy.

						Will......

dadams@cherry10.cray.com (David Adams) (04/19/91)

Yesterday I heard a report on the radio about a study on the
Hazards of living near high tension wires.

The study involved, the report pointed out, was not scientific!
In order to perform a valid scientific study on the subject
we would have to obtain a random sample of children, randomly
assign half of them to live near high tension wires and the
other half away from high tension wires.  Then we follow the
progress of these children over the course of many years and
measure the proportions which develope cancer, etc.

We cannot do this in a democratic society.  So what the researchers
did was to find a group of people who had developed some disease.
(I don't remember what disease was involved.)  Then they tried to
find a *similar* group of people who did not develope the disease.
Then they looked back to the childhood histories of these people
to see how many of each group lived near high tension wires.

This is not a good scientific method.  It was pointed out, for example,
that it may well be that more affluent people were willing to
volunteer for the study, and that fewer of these were likely to have
lived near high tension wires.  When you set out to find a *similar*
group, it is entirely impossible to consider all of the variables
that might be involved.  This is one of the reasons that randomization
is so critical.

When I see so many people begin to believe conclusions that come
from bogus studies, it really makes me stop and think.  We need to
learn to be critical when we read, or evaluate a study like this one.
This doesn't mean that High Tension Wire Hazards do not exist, but
we cannot use the conclusions of experiments like these as evidence
that they do.

David Adams
Statistical Analyst
Cray Research Inc.

ankleand@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Andrew Karanicolas) (04/19/91)

In article <236@rins.ryukoku.ac.jp> will@rins.ryukoku.ac.jp (will) writes:

>	Acually, I really think that this study is a JOKE..  The Russians did

JOKE?  Which?

>this same study years ago, I read about it in fact 11 years ago, in a book
>written on this exact topic, I don't remember the Name, but I may be able to
>find out.  The book was written by some American researchers that were following
>the Advances of the Soviets in EMP studies and their effects on people.
>
>	In fact, I haven't seen the document you guys are refering to.  But I
>would bet it is a word for word copy of the Soviets research.  Another worthless
>effort by Americans, always re-inventing the wheel and wasting money that can
>best be used else-were.
>
>						Will.....

Are you serious?

One of the cornerstones of science is substantiation of hunches or other
vague thoughts.  Clearly, you demonstrate remarkable ability to jump to
conclusions without any proof.  I would recommend that you post such rubbish
elsewhere in order not to drag sci.electronics to the low level that
is consistent with your posting.

By the way, I ordinarily do not get too serious about anything posted on
this or any other networks.  However, you are crossing the bounds of what
is tolerable.  Newsgroups you should try instead include alt.flame.  There,
you do not need to be concerned with thinking.

Finally, if you are going to attempt to discourse the topic concerning
American research, then you had better be prepared with facts or you
will be torn to pieces.  Sci.electronics is not the forum to deal with this.

That is all.
--

Andrew Karanicolas
MIT Microsystems Technology Laboratory

John Moore (04/19/91)

In article Message-ID: <112256.27482@timbuk.cray.com> dadams@cherry10.cray.com (David Adams) writes:

>Yesterday I heard a report on the radio about a study on the
>Hazards of living near high tension wires.
>
>The study involved, the report pointed out, was not scientific!
>In order to perform a valid scientific study on the subject
>we would have to obtain a random sample of children, randomly
>assign half of them to live near high tension wires and the
>other half away from high tension wires.  Then we follow the
>progress of these children over the course of many years and
>measure the proportions which develope cancer, etc.

This is not true. In order to perform an OPTIMAL experiment on the
subject, we might have to do as you say, but valid science is often
done with skimpy data.

>We cannot do this in a democratic society.  So what the researchers
>did was to find a group of people who had developed some disease.
>(I don't remember what disease was involved.)  Then they tried to

Childhood Leukemia - if you are referring to the Denver study.

>find a *similar* group of people who did not develope the disease.
>Then they looked back to the childhood histories of these people
>to see how many of each group lived near high tension wires.

Not high tension wires - simple backyard distribution wires - with
different levels of ELF magnetic fields.

>This is not a good scientific method.  It was pointed out, for example,
>that it may well be that more affluent people were willing to
>volunteer for the study, and that fewer of these were likely to have
>lived near high tension wires.  When you set out to find a *similar*
>group, it is entirely impossible to consider all of the variables
>that might be involved.  This is one of the reasons that randomization
>is so critical.

>When I see so many people begin to believe conclusions that come
>from bogus studies, it really makes me stop and think.  We need to
>learn to be critical when we read, or evaluate a study like this one.
>This doesn't mean that High Tension Wire Hazards do not exist, but
>we cannot use the conclusions of experiments like these as evidence
>that they do.

Self selection is always a risk in epidemiological studies. It does not
mean that the study is incorrect - it does mean that the results may
not be as conclusive as would be with the sort of experiment that you
admit cannot be run. It does not mean we should simply ignore the
studies or not try to run them.

Modern medical science would be seriously crippled -where without these
studies. I would point out that your criticism also applies to most
smoking-->cancer/smoking-->heart_disease studies. Try to eliminate self
selection from a risk of smoking epidemiological study! Does that mean that
we are foolish to believe them, or that we should not act upon them?

While the best statistical results come from a pre-designed, randomized,
multiple-blind study, we are not always in a position to do such a study.
Sometimes we have to use what data is available, with recognized corresponding
degradation in experimental accuracy. One of the most powerful challenges
in science is designing statistically valid experiments under these
conditions - and some people are amazingly good at these experimental
designs.

None of what I say above means that I take these studies uncritically. The
Denver study in particular was just barely statistically significant (like
a lot of cold-"fusion" studies were!). It may be wrong. It may also be
right. It is backed up by some other epidemiological studies (also
perhaps flawed) and some experimental lab work (that is a lot more solid).

dadams@cherry10.cray.com (David Adams) (04/24/91)

In article <4045@anasaz.UUCP>, John Moore writes:
|> In article Message-ID: <112256.27482@timbuk.cray.com> dadams@cherry10.cray.com (David Adams) writes:
|>
|> >Yesterday I heard a report on the radio about a study on the
|> >Hazards of living near high tension wires.
|> >
|> >The study involved, the report pointed out, was not scientific!
|> >In order to perform a valid scientific study on the subject
|> >we would have to obtain a random sample of children, randomly
|> >assign half of them to live near high tension wires and the
|> >other half away from high tension wires.  Then we follow the
|> >progress of these children over the course of many years and
|> >measure the proportions which develope cancer, etc.
|>
|> This is not true. In order to perform an OPTIMAL experiment on the
|> subject, we might have to do as you say, but valid science is often
|> done with skimpy data.
|>

|> >We cannot do this in a democratic society.  So what the researchers
|> >did was to find a group of people who had developed some disease.
|> >(I don't remember what disease was involved.)  Then they tried to
|>
|> Childhood Leukemia - if you are referring to the Denver study.
|>
|> >find a *similar* group of people who did not develope the disease.
|> >Then they looked back to the childhood histories of these people
|> >to see how many of each group lived near high tension wires.
|>
|> Not high tension wires - simple backyard distribution wires - with
|> different levels of ELF magnetic fields.
|>
|> >This is not a good scientific method.  It was pointed out, for example,
|> >that it may well be that more affluent people were willing to
|> >volunteer for the study, and that fewer of these were likely to have
|> >lived near high tension wires.  When you set out to find a *similar*
|> >group, it is entirely impossible to consider all of the variables
|> >that might be involved.  This is one of the reasons that randomization
|> >is so critical.
|>
|> >When I see so many people begin to believe conclusions that come
|> >from bogus studies, it really makes me stop and think.  We need to
|> >learn to be critical when we read, or evaluate a study like this one.
|> >This doesn't mean that High Tension Wire Hazards do not exist, but
|> >we cannot use the conclusions of experiments like these as evidence
|> >that they do.
|>
|> Self selection is always a risk in epidemiological studies. It does not
|> mean that the study is incorrect - it does mean that the results may
|> not be as conclusive as would be with the sort of experiment that you
|> admit cannot be run. It does not mean we should simply ignore the
|> studies or not try to run them.

We can't help but look at the conclusions with a jaundiced eye.

|> Modern medical science would be seriously crippled -where without these
|> studies. I would point out that your criticism also applies to most
|> smoking-->cancer/smoking-->heart_disease studies. Try to eliminate self
|> selection from a risk of smoking epidemiological study! Does that mean that
|> we are foolish to believe them, or that we should not act upon them?

We are foolish if we act on that study alone, or on a group of similar
studies, especially when most of these studies are marginally significant.
Many of the studies done on smoking probably are weak.  I am not the first
to level such criticism.  This does not imply that smoking does not cause
cancer/heart_disease etc, and it doesnot mean that we should not act to prevent
a forseeable danger.  Furthermore, the evidence in the case of smoking, I
beleive, is much stronger than for magnetic fields.  Has any one preformed
randomized experiments with magnetic radiation with animal subjects, at doses
that are comparable to those received by humans?  Again it may be a jump to
make inferences from rabbits, mice, and mink, to humans, but the significance
levels can at least be established.  If we could see studies of this nature,
that corroborate those studies which have been done, we might be on a *little*
firmer ground.

|> While the best statistical results come from a pre-designed, randomized,
|> multiple-blind study, we are not always in a position to do such a study.
|> Sometimes we have to use what data is available, with recognized corresponding
|> degradation in experimental accuracy. One of the most powerful challenges
|> in science is designing statistically valid experiments under these
|> conditions - and some people are amazingly good at these experimental
|> designs.

The problem is that people don't recognize the corresponding degradation in
experimental accuracy, in fact mathematicians can't even tell what it is!
(Ie.  If you forget to randomize can you say that you are 80% confident
instead of 95% confident?  No! You can't say anything about confidence
at all!) Yet people make very serious decisions on the basis of such weak
conclusions, not even knowing the weakness was there.

|> None of what I say above means that I take these studies uncritically. The
|> Denver study in particular was just barely statistically significant (like
|> a lot of cold-"fusion" studies were!). It may be wrong. It may also be
|> right. It is backed up by some other epidemiological studies (also
|> perhaps flawed) and some experimental lab work (that is a lot more solid).

None of what I say above means that I do not believe that hazards from
electromagnetic radiation exist.  Perhaps some of these other studies
are on firmer ground?  I am not familiar with them.  To date, I do not
believe that any of the studies I have heard of *should* affect property
values.

John Moore (04/25/91)

#define SRPCPY(to, from) \
   safecpy(to, client_srp.from, sizeof(client_srp.from), blank)
#define SIZE(field) \
   sizeof(client.field) - 1
Article 788 of sci.electronics:
Newsgroups: sci.electronics
Subject: Re: Re:High Tension Wire Hazards
Date: 23 Apr 91 17:33:15 GMT

In article <113351.25560@timbuk.cray.com> David Adams writes:
]We can't help but look at the conclusions with a jaundiced eye.

Agreed. I am quite suspicous of the epidemiological studies that I have
read about.
]a forseeable danger.  Furthermore, the evidence in the case of smoking, I
]beleive, is much stronger than for magnetic fields.  Has any one preformed
]randomized experiments with magnetic radiation with animal subjects, at doses
]that are comparable to those received by humans?  Again it may be a jump to

Yes, this in fact has been done. Some interesting results were obtained,
but I don't know if excess cancers was among them.

]make inferences from rabbits, mice, and mink, to humans, but the significance
]levels can at least be established.  If we could see studies of this nature,
]that corroborate those studies which have been done, we might be on a *little*
]firmer ground.

Like I say - there are SOME animal studies. There are also tissue studies.
These studies are interesting because:
  -They are easily repeatable
  -They are just as hard to explain as the epidemiological results - the
   same criticisms (weak forces involved) apply.
]
]None of what I say above means that I do not believe that hazards from
]electromagnetic radiation exist.  Perhaps some of these other studies
]are on firmer ground?  I am not familiar with them.  To date, I do not
]believe that any of the studies I have heard of *should* affect property
]values.

Property values are affected by all sorts of silly stuff. Whether they
"should" be or not is another matter :-(