[sci.electronics] light bulbs buzz when dimmed

ajf@maximo.enet.dec.com (Adam J Felson) (04/03/91)

I have a pair of floor lamps hooked up to a single dimmer.  They use
6" spherical incandecant light bulbs.  The problem is that they make
an annoying buzz when dimed.  Is there a better circuit for dimming
the bulbs that will prevent that !@#$%^&*&^%$# buzz?

__a__d__a__m__

random@cbnewse.att.com (David L. Pope) (04/04/91)

> an annoying buzz when dimed.  Is there a better circuit for dimming
> the bulbs that will prevent that !@#$%^&*&^%$# buzz?

Yes, but since the buzz is being caused by the fillament vibrating
at line-current frequency, it would involve a d.c. supply which
would require a little engineering (to determine d.c. power max
and min for the bulbs you are using). The actual cause of the buzz
is the length of the fillament in the bulbs, so maybe you could
find large diameter bulbs designed for dimming (that is, with short
fillaments).

	Good Luck,

		Random

ins_atge@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Thomas G Edwards) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.223655.18202@cbnewse.att.com> random@cbnewse.att.com (David L. Pope) writes:
>> an annoying buzz when dimed.  Is there a better circuit for dimming
>> the bulbs that will prevent that !@#$%^&*&^%$# buzz?

>and min for the bulbs you are using). The actual cause of the buzz
>is the length of the fillament in the bulbs, so maybe you could
>find large diameter bulbs designed for dimming (that is, with short
>fillaments).

O.K...but exactly why do the bulbs buzz when dimmed, but not when at
full power?  My guess on this always was there was some kind of
clamping of the waveform going on, making it look more and more like
a square-wave with associated audible harmonics?  In that case perhaps
a variable-transformer would make life better.

-Tom

tonyb@titania.juliet.ll.mit.edu ( Tony Berke) (04/04/91)

In article <7893@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_atge@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Thomas G Edwards) writes:

   In article <1991Apr3.223655.18202@cbnewse.att.com> random@cbnewse.att.com (David L. Pope) writes:
   >> an annoying buzz when dimed.  Is there a better circuit for dimming
   >> the bulbs that will prevent that !@#$%^&*&^%$# buzz?

   >and min for the bulbs you are using). The actual cause of the buzz
   >is the length of the fillament in the bulbs, so maybe you could
   >find large diameter bulbs designed for dimming (that is, with short
   >fillaments).

   O.K...but exactly why do the bulbs buzz when dimmed, but not when at
   full power?  My guess on this always was there was some kind of
   clamping of the waveform going on, making it look more and more like
   a square-wave with associated audible harmonics?  In that case perhaps
   a variable-transformer would make life better.

When you use a normal SCR dimmer, 50% power is produced by shutting
the juice off for 50% of each waveform -- right at the peak voltage!!.
This makes a really sharp edge, which indeed has lots of high
frequency harmonics (it's not a square wave, though).

I've always assumed that filaments buzz because they are coiled and
have some of the qualities of an electromagnet -- even if the filament
isn't coiled, when you vary the current through a conductor you get a
magnetic field.  As the current changes, so does the field -- and when
you use an SCR dimmer, you vary the current quite abruptly, causing
the field around the filament to go bannanas.  This results in the
filament wagging all over the place under the influence of the field.

Please note: this explanation might be total bullshit, I'm only
guessing.

The following is not a guess, however: A company (recently defunct) by
the name of LightSync made some dimmers that were essentially
switch-mode power amplifiers -- they used giant MOSFETs as output
devices and put out DC.  Their product was called HUMPHREY (a play on
"hum-free").  Switching amplifiers are not simple to design, however,
and I recall that they had quite a time keeping the RFI down (40kHz
200V square waves are NASTY!).

I bet that zero-crossing dimming would be quieter than the normal scheme,
but I think you would wind up with visible flicker if you try to use this
scheme for dimming much more than 50%.

Have fun!     Tony Berke

jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) (04/05/91)

>> an annoying buzz when dimed.  Is there a better circuit for dimming
>> the bulbs that will prevent that !@#$%^&*&^%$# buzz?

Yep.  Called a Variac variable autotransformer.   You can get 'em
small enough to fit into a double switchbox.  Since it is a transformer,
it delivers nice undistorted power AND regulates all the way down to
zero volts.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)

fval_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Trey Valenta) (04/05/91)

I've been dealing with the same problem recently.... the person who lived in
my dorm room before me had installed a touch sensitive dimmer which buzzes
like crazy from the waveform. One thing I've thought of would be to place a
cap across the bulb. Any thoughts on it's effectiveness? The only problem is
finding one of the right size. I eventually came across a 4 micro-F 150V
cap, non-polarized electrolitic, but I think that the voltage is too small.
I also found a 1MF @200V, a nicer voltage, seeing as the peak should be
around 155V. The only problem is, what do I need the cap to do. Seems I
could cancel the bulb's reactance, but is there any? Is it essentially a
resistor? Would the cap smooth the waveform enough to reduce (but not
remove) the buzzing?

thanks

trey

--
Trey Valenta			| It's 3am; do you know where your Mac is?
fval_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu	|

lrk@k5qwb.UUCP (Lyn R. Kennedy) (04/05/91)

ins_atge@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Thomas G Edwards) writes:

> In article <1991Apr3.223655.18202@cbnewse.att.com> random@cbnewse.att.com (Da
> >> an annoying buzz when dimed.  Is there a better circuit for dimming
> >> the bulbs that will prevent that !@#$%^&*&^%$# buzz?
>
> >and min for the bulbs you are using). The actual cause of the buzz
> >is the length of the fillament in the bulbs, so maybe you could
> >find large diameter bulbs designed for dimming (that is, with short
> >fillaments).
>
> O.K...but exactly why do the bulbs buzz when dimmed, but not when at
> full power?  My guess on this always was there was some kind of
> clamping of the waveform going on, making it look more and more like
> a square-wave with associated audible harmonics?  In that case perhaps
> a variable-transformer would make life better.
>
> -Tom

Most electronic dimmers turn off at the zero crossing and then switch
on for the last part of each half-cycle. This might well cause more
buzz than a variable tranformer. Surely you will try it and let
us know.

                 lrk@k5qwb.UUCP    lrk%k5qwb@kf5iw.UUCP
73,              utacfd.utarl.edu!letni!rwsys!kf5iw!k5qwb!lrk
Lyn Kennedy      K5QWB @ N5LDD.#NTX.TX.US.NA
                 P.O. Box 5133, Ovilla, TX, USA 75154

-------- "We have met the enemy and they are us."  Pogo -----------------

vermilye@Oswego.EDU (Jon R. Vermilye) (04/05/91)

In article <7893@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_atge@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Thomas G Edwards) writes:
>In article <1991Apr3.223655.18202@cbnewse.att.com> random@cbnewse.att.com (David L. Pope) writes:
>>> an annoying buzz when dimed.  Is there a better circuit for dimming
>>> the bulbs that will prevent that !@#$%^&*&^%$# buzz?
>
>>and min for the bulbs you are using). The actual cause of the buzz
>>is the length of the fillament in the bulbs, so maybe you could
>>find large diameter bulbs designed for dimming (that is, with short
>>fillaments).

The buzz is caused by the waveform the dimmer produces. When the lamp
is at full, the waveform is still close to a sine wave, and little
noise is produced.  When the lamp is dimmed, the SCR or TRIAC in the
dimmer is fired sometime during the AC cycle.  The rise time of the
switching of the SCR is limited only by the impedance of the circuit.
Some manufacturers add a choke (coil) in series with the load.  This
will limit the rise time and noise.  In most cases, noise cannot be
completely eliminated.

By the way, many theatrical dimmer manufacturers are changing from
SCR based dimmers to FET's, and chopping the sine wave on the back.
This, along with better control of rise (or do we call it fall?) time
allows for dimmers without chokes.  Since the weight of the choke
makes up about 75% of the weight of a 2.4K dimmer, this saves both
weight & space.

Jon R. Vermilye                          		         315 341 2138
Department of Theatre, Tyler Hall                  vermilye@oswego.oswego.edu
SUNY Oswego                                 ..rutgers!sunybcs!oswego!vermilye
Oswego, NY 13126                                     vermilye@snyoswva.bitnet

rando@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Randy Brumbaugh) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr2.162037@maximo.enet.dec.com>, ajf@maximo.enet.dec.com (Adam J Felson) writes:
> [ . . .] annoying buzz when dimed.  Is there a better circuit for dimming
> the bulbs that will prevent that !@#$%^&*&^%$# buzz?

The buzz is caused by the SCR/TRIAC type dimmers which are found in
many low cost dimming circuits today.  These work by switching the
AC waveform on at some point in the cycle.  This creates a nasty
high frequency spike which is both audible and can cause interference
for nearby audio equipment.  This is especially bad for theatre light
dimming, which have many dimmers and lights over the audience.

Most dimmers incorporate a torroidial coil at the output, which slows
the rise time and helps some.  The coil must match the load for best
results.

Several manufacturers are selling non-SCR dimmers which gradually
ramp the voltage up and down, completely eliminating the buzz.
There are several circuits for doing this.  I've seen these demo'ed
and they are impresive.  Some (Kliegl) are also short circuit
protected - you can short the output with a crowbar and not blow
the supply circuit breaker. The current islimited by the dimmer
(of course the voltage drops a lot!).

For a quick overview of these dimmers see the latest Theatre Crafts
magazine.  There is a good article.

These new dimmers are still more expensive, but it seems a safe bet
that the new technology will replace the SCR before too long.

Randy Brumbaugh   rando@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov

f@Alliant.COM (Bill Freeman) (04/06/91)

In article <13181@ur-cc.UUCP>, fval_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Trey Valenta)
	writes:
> I've been dealing with the same problem recently.... the person who lived in
> my dorm room before me had installed a touch sensitive dimmer which buzzes
> like crazy from the waveform. One thing I've thought of would be to place a
> cap across the bulb. Any thoughts on it's effectiveness? The only problem is
> finding one of the right size. I eventually came across a 4 micro-F 150V
> cap, non-polarized electrolitic, but I think that the voltage is too small.
> I also found a 1MF @200V, a nicer voltage, seeing as the peak should be
> around 155V.

This might, indeed solve your problem.  Before the capacitor explodes (yes it
will) it might manage to take out the dimmer.  Then you could replace the
dimmer with a switch, and problem solved.

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS DO NOT DO THIS.

Other netters are correct that the useful ways to get rid of the buzz are
special bulbs, a variable DC supply, or a variable autotransformer (Variac).
If the light is too bright and the dimmer noise bothers you, try a lower
wattage bulb.  ;-)

	-Bill
...!{decvax!linus,mit-eddie}!alliant!f		Bill Freeman	KE1G
alliant!f@eddie.mit.edu	    PP-ASMEL-IA(SE)	Turbo Arrow N4365Z

rich@pencil.cs.missouri.edu (Rich Winkel) (04/06/91)

random@cbnewse.att.com (David L. Pope) writes:
]> an annoying buzz when dimed.  Is there a better circuit for dimming
]> the bulbs that will prevent that !@#$%^&*&^%$# buzz?
]Yes, but since the buzz is being caused by the fillament vibrating
]at line-current frequency, it would involve a d.c. supply which
]would require a little engineering (to determine d.c. power max
]and min for the bulbs you are using). The actual cause of the buzz
]is the length of the fillament in the bulbs, so maybe you could
]find large diameter bulbs designed for dimming (that is, with short
]fillaments).

I always thought it was due to the harmonics generated by the abrupt
cutoff in the wave.  Dimmer circuits work by chopping off the voltage
at various phases of the 60 Hz wave, right?  This should add a lot
of high frequency harmonics to the wave.  Surely the buzzing I hear
in a dimmed lightbulb isn't at 60Hz.  So a lowpass filter might do
the trick (?? coming from an electronics novice).

durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us (Jim Durham) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr2.162037@maximo.enet.dec.com> ajf@maximo.enet.dec.com (Adam J Felson) writes:
>I have a pair of floor lamps hooked up to a single dimmer.  They use
>6" spherical incandecant light bulbs.  The problem is that they make
>an annoying buzz when dimed.  Is there a better circuit for dimming
>the bulbs that will prevent that !@#$%^&*&^%$# buzz?
>
>__a__d__a__m__

I work at a television station where we have the same problems with dimming
studio lights. The problem is the rise time of the scr dimmer circuits.
To get non-buzzing light filaments, you need a rise time on the scr
waveform of 800+ nanoseconds. We have some 180ns dimmers and they
buzz like crazy when dimmed.

A quiet way to dim lights is with a small variac or autotransformer.
These are quite often available at flea markets or hamfests and could
be put in a little metal box.

Good Luck!

-Jim  (durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us)

burgess@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ken Burgess) (04/09/91)

My daughter disliked the noise made by a dimmed reading light she uses
and decided to try different bulbs to solve the problem. Eventually she
did a science fair project (largely un-noticed) to determine what types of
bulbs made noise and what types did not. She tried bulbs from 8
different manufacturers, all 60 watt types, and found a great deal of
variation in the ammount of accoustic noise they generated on a dimmer.

I don't remember all of her results but I do know that she found one
manufacturers bulb that made no sound whatsoever. Coincidently they were
also the cheepest bulbs in the test. She obtained them at a local hardware
store; they are made by "EXTRALFE" (model number 60 AFR 2000)
in Poland for the Supreme Corp. Mullins, SC 29574. They are advertized as
a "generic" bulb but have a nominal voltage of 130 volts instead of the
120 V. usually specified. They claim long life.

As a part of her experiment Melissa broke the envelopes to examine the
structure to see if she could correlate the fillament construction with
the ammount of buzz they generated. What she found was that the tightly
coiled fillaments buzzed the worst. The best (including the EXTRALIFE) were
multiply supported straight wires. A few of the bulbs used this techniqe
for filiment support, but the EXTRALIFE used five supports whereas the others
used only three.

I thought she did a good job and I was very proud of her, unfortunately
the judges liked airfoil experiments better and she didn't even get beyond
her school competion. At least I found it useful, our lights don't buzz
anymore!

tom@syssoft.com (Rodentia) (04/10/91)

So you can get lightbulbs to buzz at >60Hz by chopping the waveform.
This seems to be a case of what might be called base frequency pulse
width modulation (if there's a better term for it, let me know).

Now it seems that you could do a higher frequency pulse width
modulation, and the buzz/whine would be inaudible.  This would seem
to be cheaper than a variable transformer (then again, maybe not).

Comments?
--
Thomas Roden                                      | tom@syssoft.com
Systems and Software, Inc.                        | Voice: (714) 833-1700 x454

charless@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Charles R. Sullivan) (04/13/91)

>>> an annoying buzz when dimed.  Is there a better circuit for dimming
>>> the bulbs that will prevent that !@#$%^&*&^%$# buzz?

In addition to all the great suggestions other folks have given,
you can try either a different manufacturers bulb, or a slightly different
wattage.  There are lots of different geometries used, and there is an
amazing difference in amount of buzz.  Unfortunately there's no simple pattern
of what buzzes and what doesn't.  Supposedly even the same manufacturer
and wattage may be different according to which plant it was made in.

If you've got a closet full of spare bulbs, try them all to find the best one.
Or play 'musical ightbulbs,' switching them out of all your lamps.

Charlie Sullivan               charless@cory.berkeley.edu

ghot@ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) (04/13/91)

I don't know if this is related or not, but here goes.

I once took the speaker wires from a stereo phonograph and connected them
to the filament of a vacuum tube. I was just learning electronics and
knew nothing at the time (now I know a little, not much) and I was hoping
that this would make the filament glow and maybe power the tube for other
uses. To my surprise, I heard the music I was playing coming out of the tube.

Allan Adler
ghot@ms.uky.edu

rando@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Randy Brumbaugh) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr2.162037@maximo.enet.dec.com>, ajf@maximo.enet.dec.com (Adam J Felson) writes:
> [ . . .] annoying buzz when dimed.  Is there a better circuit for dimming
> the bulbs that will prevent that !@#$%^&*&^%$# buzz?

The buzz is caused by the SCR/TRIAC type dimmers which are found in
many low cost dimming circuits today.  These work by switching the
AC waveform on at some point in the cycle.  This creates a nasty
high frequency spike which is both audible and can cause interference
for nearby audio equipment.  This is especially bad for theatre light
dimming, which have many dimmers and lights over the audience.

Most dimmers incorporate a torroidial coil at the output, which slows
the rise time and helps some.  The coil must match the load for best
results.

Several manufacturers are selling non-SCR dimmers which gradually
ramp the voltage up and down, completely eliminating the buzz.
There are several circuits for doing this.  I've seen these demo'ed
and they are impresive.  Some (Kliegl) are also short circuit
protected - you can short the output with a crowbar and not blow
the supply circuit breaker. The current islimited by the dimmer
(of course the voltage drops a lot!).

For a quick overview of these dimmers see the latest Theatre Crafts
magazine.  There is a good article in it (April, I think).

jon@inqmind.bison.mb.ca (Jon Chesnut) (04/17/91)

> In article <1991Apr2.162037@maximo.enet.dec.com>, ajf@maximo.enet.dec.com (Ad
> > [ . . .] annoying buzz when dimed.  Is there a better circuit for dimming
> > the bulbs that will prevent that !@#$%^&*&^%$# buzz?
> >
> The buzz is caused by the SCR/TRIAC type dimmers which are found in
> many low cost dimming circuits today.  These work by switching the
> AC waveform on at some point in the cycle.  This creates a nasty
> high frequency spike which is both audible and can cause interference
> for nearby audio equipment.  This is especially bad for theatre light
> dimming, which have many dimmers and lights over the audience.

You're right - in low-cost dimming circuits, this can be a problem.  But, as
you go on to say, torroidal chokes can, for all intents and purposes,
eliminate this problem.  Having just completed THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
CANDADIAN TOUR lighting and sound system supply, as well as supplying all
the lighting and sound equipment for the production currently playing in
Toronto, I would suggest that in the better systems, SSR's rapidly switching
cause no problems whatsoever.  By matching chokes to loads (as you said) the
noise can be effectively eliminated.  Metal dimmmer chassis also help, and
shielded multi-conductor power distribution also lends a hand.

I would suggest that it is only the cheapest SSR based dimmers that are
prone to noise, and that even the most cursory attention to design makes
these devices practically silent.

Getting back to the original point, I have seen MANY mechanical dimmers that
generate HUGE amnounts of noise, and especially RFI - and would go so far as
to suggest that these devices are MUCH noiser than any SSR (SCR/TRIAC)
setup.

Jon Chesnut
formerly with WESTSUN - Technical support to the entertainment industry!

tom@syssoft.com (Rodentia) (04/22/91)

I posted this question before, but the news feed has been very sporadic
here, so please reply by e-mail even if you followup (my Reply-To:
should now be tom@syssoft.com (even that was broke)).

To summarize:  If dimming by chopping cycles or half cycles of the 60Hz
waveform causes audio noise based on these 60 or 120 Hz fundamentals,
couldn't the noise be made inaudible by doing the chopping at some
inaudible frequency such as 20KHz?  Would this be less efficient or
more expensive than the other (transformer based, I believe) approach
mentioned in this forum?  Or would it just not work?

Thank you for your attention.
--
Thomas Roden                                      | tom@syssoft.com
Systems and Software, Inc.                        | Voice: (714) 833-1700 x454
"If the Beagle had sailed here, Darwin would have | FAX:   (714) 833-1900
come up with a different theory altogether." - me |

ajf@maximo.enet.dec.com (Adam J Felson) (04/23/91)

I'm considering trying to add a filter between a
light dimmer and a set of floor lamps.  Anybody
know any suitable circuits?

__a__d__a__m__

del@fnx.UUCP (Dag Erik Lindberg) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr22.161357.23840@syssoft.com> tom@syssoft.com (Rodentia) writes:
>To summarize:  If dimming by chopping cycles or half cycles of the 60Hz
>waveform causes audio noise based on these 60 or 120 Hz fundamentals,
>couldn't the noise be made inaudible by doing the chopping at some
>inaudible frequency such as 20KHz?

Yes

>  Would this be less efficient or
>more expensive than the other (transformer based, I believe) approach
>mentioned in this forum?  Or would it just not work?

Well, it wouldn't work using the inexpensive technology most of the dimmers
available are based on.  That being the SCR or TRIAC.  These devices can
be triggered, or 'fired' at an arbitrary time, but can not be turned
off, period.  They are essentially 're-armed' when current stops flowing
in them, or every time the AC reverses direction.  This means that no
matter what frequency you modulate the triggering, they can only be
turned off 120 times a second.

In order to do what you want, you would need to use high voltage power
transistors, at considerably greater expense, not only for the transistors
themselves, but for the triggering circuitry.  The triggering circuitry
is not inherently more expensive, but high volume demand exists for SCR
trigger circuits and a wide variety of packaged solutions exist at low cost.

--
del AKA Erik Lindberg                             uunet!pilchuck!fnx!del
                          Who is John Galt?