[sci.electronics] Degaussing monitors

marques@brahms.udel.edu (Joseph P. Marques) (04/28/91)

I just recently picked up a monochrome monitor cheap, but it has one
annoying problem.  The screen arcs downward from right to left (- slope).
Its not too bad, but I want to fix it.  Does anyone know if I
can degauss this sucker myself, and how?  I'd hate to take it somewhere
and get charged for something I can do myself, especially if the cost
is ridiculous.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Marques
marques@freezer.acs.udel.edu

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (04/29/91)

In article <20887@brahms.udel.edu>, marques@brahms.udel.edu (Joseph P. Marques
) writes:
> I just recently picked up a monochrome monitor cheap, but it has one
> annoying problem.  The screen arcs downward from right to left (- slope).
> Its not too bad, but I want to fix it.  Does anyone know if I
> can degauss this sucker myself, and how?

This is not likely to be a problem that will be cured by degaussing.
I've never heard of a monochrome monitor needing degaussing.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan (x1116), Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Internet:  jeh@dcs.simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh

marques@chopin.udel.edu (Joseph P. Marques) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr28.122852.2307@dcs.simpact.com> jeh@dcs.simpact.com writes:
>In article <20887@brahms.udel.edu>, marques@brahms.udel.edu (Joseph P. Marques
>) writes:
>> I just recently picked up a monochrome monitor cheap, but it has one
>> annoying problem.  The screen arcs downward from right to left (- slope).
>> Its not too bad, but I want to fix it.  Does anyone know if I
>> can degauss this sucker myself, and how?
>
>This is not likely to be a problem that will be cured by degaussing.
>I've never heard of a monochrome monitor needing degaussing.

You are right.  After seeing how a magnetic field warped the screen, I
figured that it couldn't be the sole cause of the problem.  So, I popped
open the sucker and (almost too simple to be true) the screen was
crooked.  This is one of those things when you just fall backwards and
want to scream.  Five minutes later, and she was good as new.

Well, its over and I'd just as soon forget that I wasted net bandwidth
on something I should have messed with further.

Thanks to those who responded.  The soldering gun trick helped fix the
minor edge warps a bit.

ldstern@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Larry Stern) (04/29/91)

In article <16996@chopin.udel.edu> marques@chopin.udel.edu (Joseph P. Marques) writes:
>In article <1991Apr28.122852.2307@dcs.simpact.com> jeh@dcs.simpact.com writes:
>>In article <20887@brahms.udel.edu>, marques@brahms.udel.edu (Joseph P. Marques
>>) writes:
>>> I just recently picked up a monochrome monitor cheap, but it has one
>>> annoying problem.  The screen arcs downward from right to left (- slope).
>>> Its not too bad, but I want to fix it.  Does anyone know if I
>>> can degauss this sucker myself, and how?
>>
>>This is not likely to be a problem that will be cured by degaussing.
>>I've never heard of a monochrome monitor needing degaussing.
>>
>You are right.  After seeing how a magnetic field warped the screen, I
>figured that it couldn't be the sole cause of the problem.  So, I popped
>open the sucker and (almost too simple to be true) the screen was
>crooked.  This is one of those things when you just fall backwards and
>want to scream.  Five minutes later, and she was good as new.
>
>Well, its over and I'd just as soon forget that I wasted net bandwidth
>on something I should have messed with further.
>
>Thanks to those who responded.  The soldering gun trick helped fix the
>minor edge warps a bit.
>
>Joe Marques
>marques@freezer.acs.udel.edu

Just for the curious- degaussing is not for monochrome monitors because it
is the shadow mask (in a color monitor) that gets magnetized.

--

Larry Stern                                  LDSTERN@RODAN.ACS.SYR.EDU