[sci.electronics] Adjust frequency of4 terminal, rectanglular oscillators?

youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Dean Youngquist) (04/19/91)

I am making a small low power transmitter as an alarm system
for my bicycle.  It will have a small motion sensitive
switch inside and will transmit when if the bike is moved.
I would like to transmit audio picked up by a small mike, or
at least I need to modulate the signal so I can hear it on
my scanner.

 For space saving and cost reasons I would like to use one of
 those small can oscillators with 4 terminals.  The only
 problem is how to modulate either the amplitude or the
 frequency of this device.  I have noticed that varying
 supply voltage changes both the amplitude and frequency.  Is
 this the best way?

  I don't have any spec sheets on these oscillators but I have determined
  V+, V-, and the output.  The other pin seems to be no connection.

youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Dean Youngquist) (04/20/91)

Message-I

In article <1991Apr20.012710.266@ac.dal.ca> youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Dean Youngquist) writes:
> For space saving and cost reasons I would like to use one of
> those small can oscillators with 4 terminals.  The only
> problem is how to modulate either the amplitude or the
> frequency of this device...

Very probably what you've got there is a crystal oscillator.  There is
basically *no way* to vary their amplitude or frequency very much.  The
frequency is fixed by the physical dimensions of the crystal, modulo small
variations due to temperature and supply voltage, and the output (in the
ones I'm familiar with) is from digital logic that only knows about 0 and 1,
nothing in between.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

I wrote:
>> For space saving and cost reasons I would like to use one of
>> those small can oscillators with 4 terminals...
>Very probably what you've got there is a crystal oscillator...

My mistake; turns out there are other things that use the same package.
--

smith@sndpit.enet.dec.com (Willie Smith) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr20.235945.7393@zoo.toronto.edu>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes...
>>> For space saving and cost reasons I would like to use one of
>>> those small can oscillators with 4 terminals...
>>Very probably what you've got there is a crystal oscillator...
>My mistake; turns out there are other things that use the same package.

Don't keep us in the dark Henry, what are those other things and how do
they work?  I've seen QRP plans that use 4-terminal oscillators, and I've
always wondered why there was no filter indicated to get the square wave
down to a sine wave....  Are there 4-terminal oscillators with (modulatable
, is that a word?) sine-wave outputs?

Willie Smith
smith@sndpit.enet.dec.com
smith%sndpit.enet.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com
{Usenet!Backbone}!decwrl!sndpit.enet.dec.com!smith

youngqd@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Dean Youngquist) (04/22/91)

For those who are interested I have been able to amplitude modulate
the output from one of those 4 terminal crystal oscillators.  I
hooked the supply voltage in series with an ordinary telephone and
then I could press the touch tone buttons or speak into the mike
and this signal could be heard on a nearby reciever.  My supply
voltage across both xtal osc. and phone was 12 volts.  The phone had
6.5 volts and the xtal osc had 5.5 volts.  It seems like a new form of
QRP has been born.

Now, if I could just find some that allow me to tweek the frequency!

Dean Youngquist                 youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
428 NW 9th St.                  Amateur Radio Operator N7LPE
Corvallis, Oregon 97330         Tel. (503) 757-0335

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr20.235945.7393@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>I wrote:
>>> For space saving and cost reasons I would like to use one of
>>> those small can oscillators with 4 terminals...
>>Very probably what you've got there is a crystal oscillator...
>
>My mistake; turns out there are other things that use the same package.

Nope, he's probably using a crystal oscillator as you said (or one with a
ceramic resonator).  What he should be using is a voltage-controlled
oscillator in a 4-pin can, like the ones that MuRata Erie make.  I do
heartily recommend them.
--scott
   (or you can always open up the can and put a varactor diode across the
element, then adjust the bias of the varactor to slew it like a VCXO)

koning@koning.enet.dec.com (Paul Koning) (04/30/91)

|>In article <1991Apr20.235945.7393@zoo.toronto.edu>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes...
|>>My mistake; turns out there are other things that use the same package.
|>
|>Don't keep us in the dark Henry, what are those other things and how do
|>they work?  I've seen QRP plans that use 4-terminal oscillators, and I've
|>always wondered why there was no filter indicated to get the square wave
|>down to a sine wave....  Are there 4-terminal oscillators with (modulatable
|>, is that a word?) sine-wave outputs?
|>
|>Willie Smith
|>smith@sndpit.enet.dec.com
|>smith%sndpit.enet.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com
|>{Usenet!Backbone}!decwrl!sndpit.enet.dec.com!smith

I'd certainly guess that this is a crystal oscillator.  Keep in mind that
they come in a vast number of variants.  The majority is probably fixed
frequency squarewave output, but you can also get them with sinewave output,
and/or voltage controlled frequency (VCXO), etc.  Squarewave output can be
had in TTL levels (with either TTL or CMOS guts) or for higher frequencies
you can get ECL levels.

Lots of companies make these things; check your various catalogs or electronic
component rags for pointers.

	paul, ni1d