[sci.electronics] Tuned amplifier and null detector?

phillips@fozzie.nrl.navy.mil (Lee Phillips) (05/01/91)

At a flea market I picked up, for $2, a box manufactured by General
Radio with a meter on which is inscribed "tuned amplifier and null
detector".  The box has a coax input and bannana plug outputs.  It
is powered by a set of exotically sized electrical cells.  It is early
discrete solid state.  Anyone know what this is for?
--
                                           Lee Phillips
                                           phillips@fozzie.nrl.navy.mil

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (05/01/91)

In article <DrPHILLIPS.91Apr30140257@fozzie.nrl.navy.mil> phillips@fozzie.nrl.navy.mil (Lee Phillips) writes:
>At a flea market I picked up, for $2, a box manufactured by General
>Radio with a meter on which is inscribed "tuned amplifier and null
>detector".  The box has a coax input and bannana plug outputs.  It
>is powered by a set of exotically sized electrical cells.  It is early
>discrete solid state.  Anyone know what this is for?

	In the days of yore, capacitors and the like were measured
using RLC bridges.  The bridge had a lot of knobs and a little meter.
When the knobs were set at the value of the unknown Cx, the meter
read zero.
	Bridges had some nice characteristics; your test frequency
could be tuned to the region of most interest (and there was an
easy test to see if that foil-wound capacitor was really capacitive
at 234 kHz: test it for capacitance at 234 kHz!).  They had some
not-so-nice characteristics (the knobs had to be tuned two or three
at a time until the 'null' meter was zeroed).  You could increase
the sensitivity by using an amplifier on the meter, or increase
the sensitivity a LOT by using both an amplifier and a tuned
detector.
	What you have is the sensitive AC detector that one would
use to accurately balance a bridge.
	It wouldn't be a GR model 1231B, by any chance?

	John Whitmore