[sci.electronics] VGA<-->NTSC

it1@Isis.MsState.Edu (Tim Tsai) (05/01/91)

  I'm looking at the October, 1990 issue of Radio Electronics that has
an article on an NTSC-To-RGB converter for ~$100 dollars.  The main
components of this tiny device are National LM1881N video sync
separator and Motorola TDA3330 NTSC to RGB decoder..  Seems to me that
going the other way around (RGB-To-NTSC) shouldn't be much more
difficult or costly..  Any comments?  Are there any specialized chips
for this purpose?  I'd be interested in a simple "black" box that
converts VGA Signal to NTSC.  Thanks in advanced..

  Tim.
  in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. <Calvin>

mzenier@polari.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (05/01/91)

In article <it1.673039354@Isis.MsState.Edu> it1@Isis.MsState.Edu (Tim Tsai) writes:
>  I'm looking at the October, 1990 issue of Radio Electronics that has
>an article on an NTSC-To-RGB converter for ~$100 dollars.  The main
>components of this tiny device are National LM1881N video sync
>separator and Motorola TDA3330 NTSC to RGB decoder..

I just built one for a friend.  Good quality kit.
Now all I have to do is test it.  My friend ordered
it over the phone and the guy at Harmonic Research
said he had sold around a thousand of them.

>Seems to me that
>going the other way around (RGB-To-NTSC) shouldn't be much more
>difficult or costly..  Any comments?  Are there any specialized chips
>for this purpose?  I'd be interested in a simple "black" box that
>converts VGA Signal to NTSC.  Thanks in advanced..

See either Radio-Electronics December 1989 or for a more
complicated board, Circuit Cellar Ink issues #1 and 2.

(The CCI project was also available as a kit which I built for
the same video nut friend.  Not really recommended.  Both
the quality of the design and the inherent limits of NTSC made
the results less than satisfactory.)

Remember that NTSC is a system for throwing away information so that
the signal will fit in a restricted bandwidth (4.2 Mhz).

Ntsc bandwidth limits changes to the color subcarrier to around
.8 to 2 MHz (ranging from kosher NTSC to whatever your TV set will
handle).  The Lumiance is limited to 4.2 Mhz (at best with comb filtering).

The best a NTSC signal will handle is 40 columns of text.  Thats why
the IBM  CGA has the 40 and 80 column modes.

And if your horizontal scan rate is not 15734 Hz, forget it.

Mark Zenier  markz@ssc.uucp  mzenier@polari.uucp

it1@Isis.MsState.Edu (Tim Tsai) (05/02/91)

mzenier@polari.UUCP (Mark Zenier) writes:
[Regarding VGA->NTSC Converter]
>I just built one for a friend.  Good quality kit.
>Now all I have to do is test it.  My friend ordered
>it over the phone and the guy at Harmonic Research
>said he had sold around a thousand of them.

  I just called Harmonics Research and they do have a VGA->NTSC/S-Video
converter in kit form for around $120 (the exact price escaped me).  The
assembled device is $283.  We're probably going to give it a shot.
We're primarily concerned with S-Video (our monitor supports it), so the
low resolution of NTSC doesn't really matter to us...

  Thanks to all those who replied..

  PS:  The number for Harmonics Research is (201) 652-3277..  I'm not
affiliated with Harmonics Research except that I think they have a
potentially good product at their hands.