[sci.electronics] infared I/O for a PC ??

sant_m@cho006.cho.ge.com (05/03/91)

Does anybody know of a board or box that plugs into a PC that will enable
me to send and receive Infared ?  I want my computer to control my
TV and stereo.  I would also like to be able to have the computer
respond to commands from my remote also.

Martin
mfs@edison.cho.ge.com

) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.133730.2254@cho006.cho.ge.com>, sant_m@cho006.cho.ge.com writes:

> Does anybody know of a board or box that plugs into a PC that will enable
> me to send and receive Infared ?  I want my computer to control my
> TV and stereo.  I would also like to be able to have the computer
> respond to commands from my remote also.
>
> Martin
> mfs@edison.cho.ge.com

Well I seem to remember an adaptor for the HP 28s calculator which
accepts the infrared signals -  I'm not sure that it can send
infrared signals but you can hook up the receiver up to the serial
port on your PC ... this isn't really much help but it may be a
start.  EduPlus is out of CostaMesa, CA and I think the adaptor ran
for something like $80.00...

--
-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=-*=-=*=-
University of California, San Diego - ICC

frerichs@adsl (dfRERICHS) (05/04/91)

In article <18929@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> svaldez@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (**R-a-v-e* U Tackhead! ) writes:
>In article <1991May2.133730.2254@cho006.cho.ge.com>, sant_m@cho006.cho.ge.com writes:
>>
>> Does anybody know of a board or box that plugs into a PC that will enable
>> me to send and receive Infared ?  I want my computer to control my
>> TV and stereo.  I would also like to be able to have the computer
>> respond to commands from my remote also.
>>
>> Martin
>> mfs@edison.cho.ge.com
>
>Well I seem to remember an adaptor for the HP 28s calculator which
>accepts the infrared signals -  I'm not sure that it can send
>infrared signals but you can hook up the receiver up to the serial
>port on your PC ... this isn't really much help but it may be a
>start.  EduPlus is out of CostaMesa, CA and I think the adaptor ran
>for something like $80.00...
>

>--
>University of California, San Diego - ICC
>e-mail:  gyro@ucsd.edu           "DOS sucks - get a SPARCStation
>                                                    NeXTStation

That is pretty darn amusing, since I just built one with parts that
cost approx $5 total.

Little bit of a mark up there?  I should say so.

djf