[sci.electronics] VCR PLUS+ ...PSSST...WHAT'S THE CODE?

shirriff@sprite.berkeley.edu (Ken Shirriff) (04/28/91)

In article <GUEST.91Apr26180111@geech.ai.mit.edu> guest@geech.ai.mit.edu (Guest Account) writes:
>For those of you who have heard of VCR PLUS+, does anyone know how the
>date, channel, start time and stop time are encoded into the program
>number?

I was wondering the same thing a couple days ago.  After studying the
codes for a few minutes, I figured they must be encrypted in some way.
Maybe it's a conspiracy to force people to buy TV guides?

Ken Shirriff				shirriff@sprite.Berkeley.EDU

guest@geech.ai.mit.edu (Guest Account) (04/30/91)

For those of you who have heard of VCR PLUS+, does anyone know how the
date, channel, start time and stop time are encoded into the program
number?  Here are examples:

4-23; Channel 25; 20:00; 23:00 ==> 473323
4-23; Channel 38; 20:00; 23:00 ==> 716694
4-21; Channel  4; 21:00; 23:00 ==>   9711

I can't make rhyme or reason out of it, Watson.

---SHERLOCK HOLMES

strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) (04/30/91)

In article <GUEST.91Apr26180111@geech.ai.mit.edu> guest@geech.ai.mit.edu (Guest Account) writes:
}For those of you who have heard of VCR PLUS+, does anyone know how the
}date, channel, start time and stop time are encoded into the program
}number?  Here are examples:
}
}4-23; Channel 25; 20:00; 23:00 ==> 473323
}4-23; Channel 38; 20:00; 23:00 ==> 716694
}4-21; Channel  4; 21:00; 23:00 ==>   9711
}
}I can't make rhyme or reason out of it, Watson.

That's the whole idea!  That's what the company is selling--the code.

--

Norm Strong  (strong@tc.fluke.com)
2528 31st S.   Seattle WA 98144   USA

jgk@osc.COM (Joe Keane) (05/02/91)

In article <GUEST.91Apr29180522@geech.ai.mit.edu> guest@geech.ai.mit.edu
(Guest Account) writes:
>For those of you who have heard of VCR PLUS+, does anyone know how the
>date, channel, start time and stop time are encoded into the program
>number?  Here are examples:

I'm curious about this too.  I doubt these guys hired professional
cryptographers to design their encoding scheme, so i bet it's not hard to
break.  Does anyone have information on the scheme?  Failing that, does anyone
have a large number of examples they'd like to send me?
--
Joe Keane, amateur cryptographer
jgk@osc.com (...!uunet!stratus!osc!jgk)

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (05/03/91)

Why do you assume that they did not hire cryptographers?

The company that makes this thing is in Pasadena, California.
The only rational reason a company making a gadget like this
would be in Pasadena would be if they are from Caltech or JPL
or both.

Assuming that they want to protect these codes, I would expect
people from Caltech or JPL to be smart enough to either hire
a cryptographer or to learn enough about cryptography themselves
to make this a hard problem.

					Tim Smith

ps: I think that they can make this problem very hard without
using sophisticated cryptographic methods.  For instance, with
100K or so of ROM (quite feasible in a device this size), they
could simply use a table lookup scheme as part of the encoding
process.  If these tables are well constructed, to break this you
might either have to have a nearly complete set of encodings, or
take the device apart and disassemble the software.

mackay@eecae.ee.msu.edu (James F. MacKay) (05/06/91)

jgk@osc.COM (Joe Keane) writes:

>In article <GUEST.91Apr29180522@geech.ai.mit.edu> guest@geech.ai.mit.edu
>(Guest Account) writes:
>>For those of you who have heard of VCR PLUS+, does anyone know how the
>>date, channel, start time and stop time are encoded into the program
>>number?  Here are examples:

>I'm curious about this too.  I doubt these guys hired professional
>cryptographers to design their encoding scheme, so i bet it's not hard to
>break.  Does anyone have information on the scheme?  Failing that, does anyone
>have a large number of examples they'd like to send me?
>--
>Joe Keane, amateur cryptographer
>jgk@osc.com (...!uunet!stratus!osc!jgk)

Has anyone considered how much information is in this short code?  I've
tried a few encoding schemes that I might use in designing a code and
can't seem to figure out how they put so much info in so little space.

shirriff@sprite.berkeley.edu (Ken Shirriff) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.165343.5041@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> mackay@eecae.ee.msu.edu (James F. MacKay) writes:
>Has anyone considered how much information is in this short code?  I've
>tried a few encoding schemes that I might use in designing a code and
>can't seem to figure out how they put so much info in so little space.

The trick is they use variable length codes.  Common things are short and
uncommon things are long (kind of like Huffman encoding.)
Assuming normal shows start on half hours and are 30, 60, or 90 minutes
long and there are 50 channels and 7 days gives us 48x3x50x7=50400
possibilities.  This matches the common numbers being about 4-5 digits long.

Also, low channel numbers seem to have shorter codes than high channel
numbers.

On the other hand movies that, for example, start at 3:14 and go 98
minutes have long codes of about 10 digits.  Assuming shows start any
time during the day and go less than 24 hours on 100 channels gives
us 24x60x24x60x100x7= 1.4x10^9 which fits in 10 digits.

So there seems to be a short code for typical shows and a long code
for arbitrary shows.  I don't know if there are 2 codes, or more in
between, or the same code varying in length somehow.

Disclaimer: this is based on a few minutes of examining the numbers in
the tv guide.  So I may be wrong.

P.S.  Has anyone asked sci.crypt if they have ideas?

Ken Shirriff			shirriff@sprite.Berkeley.EDU

robertl@bucsf.bu.edu (Robert La Ferla) (05/07/91)

To everyone who has brought this subject up, please read rec.video because
they have discussed this and there is a group of people working on cracking
the code.

-rob