[sci.electronics] Cheap Spectrum Analyzer kits/plans?

gopstein@helix.squibb.com (Rich Gopstein) (05/02/91)

  I am interested in building a relatively inexpensive (Approx $100) spectrum
analyzer for use with my Tek 535 'scope.  I have heard of plans for using a
varactor-tuned television tuner and some form of logarithmic IF amplifier
to provide the Y signal to the scope.  Has anyone built one of these?

  Does anyone have a reference to an article describing plans for something
like this?

  Thanks.

--
Rich Gopstein

gopstein@bms.com
rutgers!bms.com!gopstein

mzenier@polari.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (05/03/91)

In article <1296@soleil.UUCP> gopstein@helix.squibb.com (Rich Gopstein) writes:
>  I am interested in building a relatively inexpensive (Approx $100) spectrum
>analyzer for use with my Tek 535 'scope.  I have heard of plans for using a
>varactor-tuned television tuner and some form of logarithmic IF amplifier
>to provide the Y signal to the scope.  Has anyone built one of these?

Radio-Electronics   September and October 1989.

Mark Zenier  markz@ssc.uucp  mzenier@polari.uucp

dmturne@PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) (05/03/91)

In article <1296@soleil.UUCP> gopstein@helix.squibb.com (Rich Gopstein) writes:

>  I am interested in building a relatively inexpensive (Approx $100) spectrum
>analyzer for use with my Tek 535 'scope.  I have heard of plans for using a
>varactor-tuned television tuner and some form of logarithmic IF amplifier
>to provide the Y signal to the scope.  Has anyone built one of these?

There have been several articles in Ham Radio magazine about the
"Poor Man's Spectrum Analyzer" available as kit modules from Science Workshop.

The latest Amateur TV Quarterly (ATVQ) has an ad for it which says that
it now covers from 2 MHz to 1500 MHz. Send a SASE for details. I've sent for
the information but haven't received it yet.

The only address I have handy may not be the current one (the PO number may
be different) but they are still in Bethpage.

Science Workshop
P.O. Box 393
Bethpage, NY 11714
--
Dave Turner	415/823-2001	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,decwrl}!pacbell!dmturne

frankb@hpsad.HP.COM (Frank Ball) (05/07/91)

/ gopstein@helix.squibb.com (Rich Gopstein) /  6:17 am  May  2, 1991 /
*  I am interested in building a relatively inexpensive (Approx $100) spectrum
*analyzer for use with my Tek 535 'scope.  I have heard of plans for using a
*varactor-tuned television tuner and some form of logarithmic IF amplifier
*to provide the Y signal to the scope.  Has anyone built one of these?

1-100 Mhz Spectrum Probe  $249  Smith Design, 1324 Harris, Dresher PA 19025
(215) 643-6340

60dB dynamic range
5mV/dB vert output
linearity +-3dB
60uV sensitivity at 50 Mhz
180Khz IF bandwidth

I have never seen one of these.  I just have an advertisment for it.

Frank Ball   frankb@hpsad.HP.COM   pyramid!hplabs!hpsad!frankb

cwga@cbnewse.att.com (clifton.w.gantt) (05/08/91)

I bought the guts of just such a kit at the Dayton Hamfest a few years back.
It needed some minor design changes here and there to get the performance
to a reasonable level, but all in all, I'm happy with it.  Basically it's
just a swept receiver with the output fed to a logarithmic amplifier.
The version I have covers about 5-500 MHz and 500-900 MHz.  The VCR/cable
tuner covers the low segment and a UHF TV tuner covers the upper.

If you want to go from scratch, the VCR tuners show up regularly for $5-$15
and are really easy to modify.  You just rip out the high pass filter in
the front end.  I believe QST had a construction article on this a few years
ago, but I don't remember the exact issue.

C. W. Gantt
att!ihlpq!cwg