[sci.electronics] Adding video/audio jack to a TV?

mmpjh@brahms.amd.com (Javed Hussain) (04/25/91)

Hello netters!
Does anybody has any experience in hacking a TV to add video/audio inputs
if it already does not have? I have an old Toshiba TV of which tuner is not
working. I want to know if I can add a video/audio inputs so that it will
work with my VCR. I was looking at the schematics of the TV and saw something
like the following:               ________
                           --->--|________|

                          |sound

	       --------------    VIDEO      -----------------
              |   PIF & AFT  |--------->---|   Video & Chroma|
	      ---------------              ------------------

I was wondering if I disconnect the line called VIDEO and connect it to
video out of my VCR, will it work?
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Javed    mmpjh@brahms.amd.com

strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr24.185624.17475@amd.com> mmpjh@brahms.amd.com (Javed Hussain) writes:
}Hello netters!
}Does anybody has any experience in hacking a TV to add video/audio inputs
}if it already does not have? I have an old Toshiba TV of which tuner is not
}working. I want to know if I can add a video/audio inputs so that it will
}work with my VCR. I was looking at the schematics of the TV and saw something
}like the following:               ________
}                           --->--|________|
}	                  |
}                          |sound
}                          |
}	       --------------    VIDEO      -----------------
}              |   PIF & AFT  |--------->---|   Video & Chroma|
}	      ---------------              ------------------
}
}I was wondering if I disconnect the line called VIDEO and connect it to
}video out of my VCR, will it work?

I wouldn't recommend this.  Many TV sets have off line power supplies that
leave the chassis hot.  They get away with this because the antenna is
transformer coupled, and all the controls have plastic shafts.

If you insist, then check the potential of the chassis relative to ground
with the plug inserted in both directions.  If it's completely cold,
you're safe.

--

Norm Strong  (strong@tc.fluke.com)
2528 31st S.   Seattle WA 98144   USA

dave@boingo.med.jhu.edu (David Heath) (04/29/91)

strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) writes:
>In article <1991Apr24.185624.17475@amd.com> mmpjh@brahms.amd.com (Javed Hussain) writes:
>}Hello netters!
>}I was wondering if I disconnect the line called VIDEO and connect it to
>}video out of my VCR, will it work?

>I wouldn't recommend this.  Many TV sets have off line power supplies that
>leave the chassis hot.  They get away with this because the antenna is
>transformer coupled, and all the controls have plastic shafts.

>If you insist, then check the potential of the chassis relative to ground
>with the plug inserted in both directions.  If it's completely cold,
>you're safe.

I have made similar modifications to a televisions in the past. In both
cases, there was room inside the set to install an isolation transformer
on the AC line. You have to be careful that the magnetic field from the
transformer is not strong enough to distort the picture (especially on
color tv's.)

-dave heath
dave@boingo.med.jhu.edu

ron@vicorp.com (Ron Peterson) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr28.200830.28926@boingo.med.jhu.edu> dave@boingo.med.jhu.edu (David Heath) writes:
>strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) writes:
>>In article <1991Apr24.185624.17475@amd.com> mmpjh@brahms.amd.com (Javed Hussain) writes:
>>}Hello netters!
>>}I was wondering if I disconnect the line called VIDEO and connect it to
>>}video out of my VCR, will it work?
>
>>I wouldn't recommend this.  Many TV sets have off line power supplies that
>>leave the chassis hot.  They get away with this because the antenna is
>>transformer coupled, and all the controls have plastic shafts.
>
>>If you insist, then check the potential of the chassis relative to ground
>>with the plug inserted in both directions.  If it's completely cold,
>>you're safe.
>
>I have made similar modifications to a televisions in the past. In both
>cases, there was room inside the set to install an isolation transformer
>on the AC line. You have to be careful that the magnetic field from the
>transformer is not strong enough to distort the picture (especially on
>color tv's.)

A cheaper alternative might be to isolate the video/audio lines rather
than the AC line.  A small audio transformer costs only a few dollars.
(Are there video frequency transformers?  There must be since there are
RF frequency transformers.)  Optoisolaters would work also, although you'd
need an external power source.
ron@vicorp.com or uunet!vicorp!ron

robf@mcs213j.cs.umr.edu (Rob Fugina) (05/07/91)

In article <1991Apr29.210743.3390@vicorp.com> ron@vicorp.com (Ron Peterson) writes:
>A cheaper alternative might be to isolate the video/audio lines rather
>than the AC line.  A small audio transformer costs only a few dollars.
>(Are there video frequency transformers?  There must be since there are
>RF frequency transformers.)  Optoisolaters would work also, although you'd
>need an external power source.
>ron@vicorp.com or uunet!vicorp!ron

I have what I think is a pertinent question here;  are the signal levels
within TVs/VCRs consistent with "line-level" standards?  I suppose as long
as you find the right place in the TV/VCR, you could convert a signal to
the correct level, but is that necessary, or is there consistently somewhere
to just tap right in?

Me  robf@cs.umr.edu

ez002717@mr-ranger.ucdavis.edu (05/08/91)

i have several circuit schematics that were created in dr halo .pic
format...i can use cshow to view them...what i would like to dois
convert them to a format that i can print out (on an hp laserjet)
...gif format would be fine...does anyone have experience with
software that will either convert .pic to .gif or print out .pic?
...i ask here b/c maybe others have had ckt schems in odd formats
...thanx

console cowboy - desperado of the datasphere

ps...a shareware suggestion would be best