[sci.electronics] Microwave Water Heater

hbg6@citek.mcdphx.mot.com (04/26/91)

I was asked a question today and do not have a good answer.

Why isn't there a microwave residential water heater on the market?
Or is there?
It would seem ideal for both large tank heater and on-demand systems.

Another thing, is the space inside a microwave oven tuned?

Thanks,
John

John Schuch - Motorola Inc., Computer Systems Division (602)438-3008
All opinions expressed are mine and not Motorolas,        their loss.

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (04/29/91)

In article <12469@qisoff.phx.mcd.mot.com> hbg6@citek.mcdphx.mot.com writes:
>Why isn't there a microwave residential water heater on the market?
>It would seem ideal for both large tank heater and on-demand systems.
>Another thing, is the space inside a microwave oven tuned?

  Well, off-hand I can think of a few dozen serious problems to solve.
MWing water tends to create small pockets of superheated water (steam on the
droplet level).  This would just about require a tank circulation/mixing
system to keep this from getting to the 'user'.  The temperature shutoff sensor
would have the same difficulty.  Both of these would be really serious when
the flow rate is high (on demand).  Then, MW ovens are sorta tuned, and
depending on the design, would quite large or complex.
Then there is always the WAG/ extrapolation problem.  I take a 500 watt
MW oven (which probably doesn't draw 500 watts, but...), and put a quart of
water in it at 50F.  It takes quite awhile, like 10 minnutes I'd guess to
bring the mix temp up to 200F. On most gas or electric 40 gallon or so water
heaters, the recovery time (fill with 40 gallons of 50F water and bring up
to 180F or so) is about 20 min or so.  All things equal, this would equate
to a power rating of a MW oven of about 100 times the original 500 watt job
or about 50 Kw.
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

mzenier@polari.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (04/29/91)

In article <12469@qisoff.phx.mcd.mot.com> hbg6@citek.mcdphx.mot.com writes:
>I was asked a question today and do not have a good answer.
>
>Why isn't there a microwave residential water heater on the market?
>Or is there?
>It would seem ideal for both large tank heater and on-demand systems.

To convert electricity to heat, a resistor is 100% efficient.

In a microwave water heater, you'd probably get as much heat
from water cooling the magnetron than from the RF.

Mark Zenier  markz@ssc.uucp  mzenier@polari.uucp

rogerm@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Roger Mitchell) (04/30/91)

Besides restiance heating elements are nearly 100 % efficent in this application.
				Roger Mitchell

strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) (05/06/91)

In article <7480018@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM> rogerm@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Roger Mitchell) writes:
}Besides restiance heating elements are nearly 100 % efficent in this application.
}				Roger Mitchell

Yes.  Too bad the process of turning coal into electricity and delivering
it to your plug is only 25% efficient.  :-(
--

Norm Strong  (strong@tc.fluke.com)
2528 31st S.   Seattle WA 98144   USA

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (05/07/91)

In article <@tc.fluke.COM> strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) writes:
>In article @hpfcso.FC.HP.COM> rogerm@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Roger Mitchell)
>}restiance heating elements are nearly 100 % efficent in this application

>Yes.  Too bad the process of turning coal into electricity and delivering
>it to your plug is only 25% efficient.  :-(

In Steam by Babcock & Wilcox 38th edition, it is implied that 85-89% is
to be expected.  The materials presented in undergraduate classes suggests
this is optimistic, but a lower working limit of 65% is used.  Then both
Marks and Cooks Reference books use a working number of 80% for Transmission
systems. That would make a working minimum value approaching 50% not 25%.

Then it would only be fair to compare a microwave 'oven' and a antique
resistance heating element in this application.  It shouldn't take a lot
of work to see that the antique is much higher than the microwave.
al

--

In article <1991May6.211620.6876@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:
>>Yes.  Too bad the process of turning coal into electricity and delivering
>>it to your plug is only 25% efficient.  :-(
>
>In Steam by Babcock & Wilcox 38th edition, it is implied that 85-89% is
>to be expected...

Uh, for what?  I would be very surprised if B&W had found a way to repeal
the laws of thermodynamics, which make it very difficult to get an efficiency
of more than 40-50% out of a heat engine.  Methinks you are reading a number
for only part of the process, perhaps the efficiency *after* the heat energy
is converted to mechanical energy.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

gt8021a@prism.gatech.EDU (EASON) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May6.211620.6876@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:
>Then it would only be fair to compare a microwave 'oven' and a antique
>resistance heating element in this application.  It shouldn't take a lot
>of work to see that the antique is much higher than the microwave.
>--
>Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University

Then again, how long does your microwave continue to heat up your kitchen
and your house after you're through cooking?  And how much does it heat
up the surrounding space while it's cooking?  My understanding is that,
particularly for the short cooking jobs that microwaves tend to be used
for, the reduced efficiency while cooking is largely offset by the lack
of residual heat: "warm-up" and "cool-down" periods of a conventional
oven where the heat that was *produced* with 100% efficiency is not being
*used* with 100% efficiency.  Something to think about...

-Bill
--
Bill Eason
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt8021a

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.153014.4344@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1991May6.211620.6876@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:
>>>Yes.  Too bad the process of turning coal into electricity and delivering
>>>it to your plug is only 25% efficient.  :-(
>>
>>In Steam by Babcock & Wilcox 38th edition, it is implied that 85-89% is
>>to be expected...
>
>Uh, for what?  I would be very surprised if B&W had found a way to repeal
>the laws of thermodynamics, which make it very difficult to get an efficiency
>of more than 40-50% out of a heat engine.  Methinks you are reading a number
>for only part of the process, perhaps the efficiency *after* the heat energy
>is converted to mechanical energy.

   I have a much more efficient way to heat water than either the microwave
system described or the coal burning/electrical resistive element method.
Utilizing oxidative combustion methods, our proprietary system combines
light hydrocarbon gasses under pressure with atmospheric oxygen providing
direct creation of heat at the boiler, with no need for messy and inefficient
electrical transmission systems.  For more information on our patented "Gas
Hot Water Heater," send us all your money please.
--scott