[sci.electronics] 16550

ahenden@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Arne A Henden) (05/07/91)

Wouldn't you know it, just when all the threads regarding
replacing an 8250 with a 16550 get deleted from our server,
we get involved in an equivalent project?
  We are replacing the 16450's on our 4-port serial card with
16550's because of PC/NFS's habit of turning off interrupts
for extended periods of time.  Anyway, the 16550 works just
fine in 16450 mode, but as soon as we put it in 550 mode it
no longer creates interrupts.
  Would someone who has worked with the 550, or who has saved
the prior posts regarding this chip, give us a reply?  Thanks.
Arne Henden

steve@nuchat.sccsi.com (Steve Nuchia) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May6.171901.21249@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> ahenden@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Arne A Henden) writes:
>for extended periods of time.  Anyway, the 16550 works just
>fine in 16450 mode, but as soon as we put it in 550 mode it
>no longer creates interrupts.

This is true.  The 16550 ----> Does Not Work <----

Specify 16550A.  The current production plastic dip parts (last time I
bought a batch, anyway) are labelled NS16550AFN.  The A is critical,
without it you have junk.  Western Digital second-sources the non-A part,
but that doesn't help since they don't work.
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services      (713) 964-2462
	"Innocence is a splendid thing, only it has the misfortune

jimc@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM (Jim Cathey) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.003258.17410@nuchat.sccsi.com> steve@nuchat.sccsi.com (Steve Nuchia) writes:
>This is true.  The 16550 ----> Does Not Work <----
>
>Specify 16550A.  The current production plastic dip parts (last time I
>bought a batch, anyway) are labelled NS16550AFN.  The A is critical,
>without it you have junk.

Amazing.  I had no idea they'd emulated the 8250 so completely.  I can't
remember which, but one of the 8250, A, or B parts didn't work either.

Love them PC's.

! II      CCCCCC !  Jim Cathey
! II  SSSSCC     !  ISC-Bunker Ramo
! II      CC     !  TAF-C8;  Spokane, WA  99220
! IISSSS  CC     !  UUCP: uunet!isc-br!jimc (jimc@isc-br.isc-br.com)
! II      CCCCCC !  (509) 927-5757
			"With excitement like this, who is needing enemas?"