[sci.electronics] Gerber photoplotter format

hgschulz@cs.umass.edu (Henning Schulzrinne) (05/04/91)

I would appreciate if somebody could give me some clue as to the
translation of Gerber photoplotter formats. So far, I have deduced the
obvious:
XiimmmYiimmmDnn    move to position (ii.mmm,ii.mmm) and use aperture
                   nn (D01: open shutter, D02: close shutter, D03:
                   flash)
M02                concludes file
D10-D26,D70-D73    circular or rectangular shapes
*                  terminate record
G01                ?
G90                ?
G54                ?

Thanks.

Henning Schulzrinne  (hgschulz@cs.umass.edu)
University of Massachusetts at Amherst
Amherst, MA 01003 - USA === phone: +1 (413) 545-3179 (EST); FAX: (413) 545-1249

saksa@hpldola.HP.COM (Tom Saksa) (05/07/91)

> I would appreciate if somebody could give me some clue as to the
> translation of Gerber photoplotter formats. So far, I have deduced the
> obvious:
> XiimmmYiimmmDnn    move to position (ii.mmm,ii.mmm) and use aperture
>                   nn (D01: open shutter, D02: close shutter, D03:
>                   flash)
> M02                concludes file
> D10-D26,D70-D73    circular or rectangular shapes
> *                  terminate record
> G01                ?
> G90                ?
> G54                ?

G01   Linear Interpolation (Draw straight lines)  This command is
needed to switch back to line drawing mode after another G
command.  Some programs output a G01 before every move command.
This is not needed, but it does not hurt.  Note: some Gerber plotters
support circular, parabolic, or cubic interpolation, G02, G06, and
G07.  They are not very common though.

G54   Used before the aperture select commands D10-D26,D70-D73.

Note:  On some plotter controlers it is not neccesary to include
a G54 before an aperture command.  Be careful, because many
Gerber commands do not work on all gerber plotter controlers.

G90   I have not seen this one.  Call Gerber and ask!  (203) 644 1551

    No Gaurantee on correctness of this info.

elliott@optilink.UUCP (Paul Elliott x225) (05/10/91)

In article <10960038@hpldola.HP.COM>, saksa@hpldola.HP.COM (Tom Saksa) writes:

> > I would appreciate if somebody could give me some clue as to the
> > translation of Gerber photoplotter formats. So far, I have deduced the
> > obvious:

> G90   I have not seen this one.  Call Gerber and ask!  (203) 644 1551

From:
     _GSI PLOTTER CONTROL DATA FORMAT GUIDE_
     Document Number: 40101-S00-066A
     July 19, 1983

Excerpted from Table 2-1 Preparatory Function Codes:

G01  Linear Interpolation, 1x scale
G54  Tool Select
G90  Absolute Mode
G91  Incremental Mode

--
Paul Elliott - DSC Optilink - {uunet, pyramid, tekbspa}!optilink!elliott
"...We spread out over all levels of all governments.  The threat of wars,