[sci.electronics] Why sqrt

jhoward@helps.cactus.org (James Howard) (04/30/91)

In math the sqrt(-1) is representated by the letter i.  In electronics
why is the letter j used to represent the square root of -1?

Thanks for any replies, posted or Emailed.

---

James Howard          Howard Electronic Laboratories Products & Services
AA5R           cs.utexas.edu!helps!jhoward  or  jhoward@helps.cactus.org

oistony@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Anthony Petro) (04/30/91)

In article <1139@helps.cactus.org>, jhoward@helps.cactus.org (James Howard) writes...

>In math the sqrt(-1) is representated by the letter i.  In electronics
>why is the letter j used to represent the square root of -1?
>
>Thanks for any replies, posted or Emailed.

the explanation i've been given is because i in electronics is too
often used to refer to instantaneous current, and j was the next
logical and relatively trouble-free choice...

>James Howard          Howard Electronic Laboratories Products & Services
>AA5R           cs.utexas.edu!helps!jhoward  or  jhoward@helps.cactus.org

anthony m. petro   "beethoven"    i can say what i want; i'm just an undergrad
oistony@UBVMSD.BITNET             "frame by frame,
oistony@mednet.bitnet              death by drowning,
petro@sun.acsu.buffalo.edu         in your own
                                   in your own...
                                   analysis..."

bobw@col.hp.com (Bob Witte) (04/30/91)

>/ col:sci.electronics / jhoward@helps.cactus.org (James Howard) /  4:12 am  Apr 30, 1991 /
>
>In math the sqrt(-1) is representated by the letter i.  In electronics
>why is the letter j used to represent the square root of -1?
>
>Thanks for any replies, posted or Emailed.
>
>---
>
>James Howard          Howard Electronic Laboratories Products & Services
>AA5R           cs.utexas.edu!helps!jhoward  or  jhoward@helps.cactus.org
>----------
    Possible answers:
     1) To confuse math majors and keep them out of EE.

     2) sqrt (-1) had to be j because i is used for current
        Why isn't c used for current? Because c is used for capacitance.

Bob Witte              HP Colorado Springs Division
bobw@col.hp.com        P.O. Box 2197
Phone:(719) 590-3230   Colorado Springs, CO  80901
Radio: KB0CY
"Of course, then again, I've been wrong before."

rabbit42@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Bruce McLaren) (04/30/91)

jhoward@helps.cactus.org (James Howard) writes:

>In math the sqrt(-1) is representated by the letter i.  In electronics
>why is the letter j used to represent the square root of -1?

>Thanks for any replies, posted or Emailed.

>---

>James Howard          Howard Electronic Laboratories Products & Services
>AA5R           cs.utexas.edu!helps!jhoward  or  jhoward@helps.cactus.org

The explanation I've always heard is that i is already being used
to represent current.  That is the _I_ntensity of current.
I've always assumed that i for current intensity was made up after
the fact.  Why is i used for current?

--
Bruce McLaren                               | There is no problem too big
rabbit42@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (for most stuff)  |            to run away from

betel@buhub.bradley.edu (Robert Crawford) (04/30/91)

jhoward@helps.cactus.org (James Howard) writes:

>In math the sqrt(-1) is representated by the letter i.  In electronics
>why is the letter j used to represent the square root of -1?

	It has to do with the assignment of "direction vectors". I.e.
8i + 4j is 8 units along the x-axis and 4 units along the y-axis. Now,
if you look at the complex number plane, the imaginary part is graphed
along the "y-axis".

	The use of i comes from an abbreviation for "imaginary". j is
a better term, since you can then treat complex numbers as vectors and
do cross and dot products...
--
Rob Crawford		        \"You can have peace. Or you
betel@buhub.bradley.edu	          \can have freedom. Don't ever
Rob Crawford		        \"You can have peace. Or you
betel@buhub.bradley.edu	          \can have freedom. Don't ever
Dum vivimus, vivamus!               \count on having both at once."

crean@zds-oem.UUCP (Pat Crean Federal Systems Engineering x ????) (05/01/91)

i was already used to designate current (e=ir).

sidney@coed.coastal.ufl.edu (05/01/91)

>In math the sqrt(-1) is representated by the letter i.  In electronics
>why is the letter j used to represent the square root of -1?
>
>Thanks for any replies, posted or Emailed.

The letter i is used to represent current flow in Electrical
Engineering  ie.  E=I*R  so another letter character is needed
to represent sqrt(-1)  and j was chosen.

mallick@ethiopia.crd.ge.com (john a mallick) (05/01/91)

To add more fuel to the fire, I seem to recall that someone once
mentioned that
i = -j ;  both still have the property that i^2 = j^2 = -1.  There seemed to be
this disconnect between the engineers and the physicists regarding how to use
complex exponentials to represent sinusoids.  The engineers (at least EE's) use
exp(j*wt) = cos(wt) + j sin(wt) and you get sin(wt) by either using
Im(exp(j*wt))
or Re(-j*exp(j*wt)).  The physicists prefer to stay away from the
Imaginary-part-of stuff and stick with Re(i*exp(-i*wt)).  It all depends
where you like to put the - sign.

Maybe this should go to alt.folklore.physics...

John Mallick WA1HNL

touch@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Joseph D. Touch) (05/01/91)

(why is 'i' used in math, and 'j' in EE, both for SQRT(-1)...)

In article <38610010@col.hp.com> bobw@col.hp.com (Bob Witte) writes:
>    Possible answers:
>     1) To confuse math majors and keep them out of EE.
>
>     2) sqrt (-1) had to be j because i is used for current
>        Why isn't c used for current? Because c is used for capacitance.

OOOPS - isn't 'c' already used for the speed of light?

So many constants, so few characters.

[Physics, EE, etc] is the eternal struggle to convert 'fudge factors'
into universal constants - and get your name on them!
	- Joe Touch (yup - like I got my name on this quote!)

depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff DePolo) (05/01/91)

In article <1139@helps.cactus.org> jhoward@helps.cactus.org (James Howard) writes:
>In math the sqrt(-1) is representated by the letter i.  In electronics
>why is the letter j used to represent the square root of -1?

The way I heard it, it's to keep EE's from confusing it with current (I).

							--- Jeff

 Jeff DePolo  N3HBZ/AE          Twisted Pair: (215) 386-7199
 depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu    RF: 146.685- 442.70+ 144.455s (Philadelphia)
 University of Pennsylvania     Carrier Pigeon: 420 S. 42nd St. Phila PA 19104

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (05/02/91)

In article <38610010@col.hp.com> bobw@col.hp.com (Bob Witte) writes:
=        Why isn't c used for current? Because c is used for capacitance.

Actually, C is used for capacitance.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

horner@hpdtczb.HP.COM (James G Horner) (05/02/91)

>In math the sqrt(-1) is representated by the letter i.  In electronics
>why is the letter j used to represent the square root of -1?
>
>Thanks for any replies, posted or Emailed.
>
>---
>
>James Howard          Howard Electronic Laboratories Products & Services
>AA5R           cs.utexas.edu!helps!jhoward  or  jhoward@helps.cactus.org

	According     to    my     old     college     circuit     book,
	_Engineering_Circuit_Analysis,  by Hayt and  Kemmerly,  the j is
	used to prevent confusion with the symbol for current, i.

	Jim Horner

gordond@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Gordon DeWitte) (05/02/91)

To avoid confusion with the "i" that is used to represent current.

jpat@hpsad.HP.COM (Jeff Patterson) (05/02/91)

Because "i" is reserverd for current

-Jeff

ayman@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Ayman Kayssi) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.170325.28926@mccc.edu>, pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
|> In article <38610010@col.hp.com> bobw@col.hp.com (Bob Witte) writes:
|> =        Why isn't c used for current? Because c is used for capacitance.
|>
|> Actually, C is used for capacitance.
|>
|> Pete

	c is used for capacitance per unit (length/area/volume)
	I (or i) is used for current following the French who
	use I to denote :
	"L'Intensite' du courant" or "the current Intensity".
           -                                      -
	So in French EE textbooks, the problem would be to find,
	specifically, the current Intensity, as opposed to US textbooks,
	where the statement of the problem would be something like:
	"find the current", which is not as accurate.

--
[  Ayman Kayssi                              |   Email:                      ]
[  Advanced Computer Architecture Lab.       |   ayman@engin.umich.edu       ]

jecome01@ulkyvx.bitnet (05/04/91)

In article <1139@helps.cactus.org>, jhoward@helps.cactus.org (James Howard) writes:

> In math the sqrt(-1) is representated by the letter i.  In electronics
> why is the letter j used to represent the square root of -1?
>
> Thanks for any replies, posted or Emailed.

	The letter i is commonly used to represent current, thus inorder to
keep the confusion to a minimum, the letter j is used instead.  No big deal.

conger@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Edward Conger) (05/04/91)

>/ hpcupt1:sci.electronics / bobw@col.hp.com (Bob Witte) /  7:47 am  Apr 30, 1991 /
>>/ col:sci.electronics / jhoward@helps.cactus.org (James Howard) /  4:12 am  Apr 30, 1991 /
>>
>>In math the sqrt(-1) is representated by the letter i.  In electronics
>>why is the letter j used to represent the square root of -1?
>>
>>Thanks for any replies, posted or Emailed.
>>
>>>---
>>
>>James Howard          Howard Electronic Laboratories Products & Services
>>AA5R           cs.utexas.edu!helps!jhoward  or  jhoward@helps.cactus.org
>>----------
>    Possible answers:
>     1) To confuse math majors and keep them out of EE.
>
>     2) sqrt (-1) had to be j because i is used for current
>        Why isn't c used for current? Because c is used for capacitance.

>Bob Witte              HP Colorado Springs Division
>bobw@col.hp.com        P.O. Box 2197
>Phone:(719) 590-3230   Colorado Springs, CO  80901
>Radio: KB0CY
>"Of course, then again, I've been wrong before."

'c' isn't used for the flow of charge carriers because the person who
created the term didn't use an >>English<< word.  An amusing parochiality,
neh?  "I" is short for "Intensite'" - a French word....

-Ed.
An EE, though I play a CS nerd on TV.

moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) (05/04/91)

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:

> In article <38610010@col.hp.com> bobw@col.hp.com (Bob Witte) writes:
> =        Why isn't c used for current? Because c is used for capacitance.
>
> Actually, C is used for capacitance.
>
> Pete
> --
> Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
> Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math
> UUCP:...!princeton!mccc!pjh  1200 Old Trenton Road, Trenton, NJ 08690
> Internet: pjh@mccc.edu	     Trenton Computer Festival -- 4/20-21/91

        Nitpicker.

 This is from
     moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp
     moonhawk%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com
who doesn't have their own obnoxious signature yet

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (05/08/91)

=
=> In article <38610010@col.hp.com> bobw@col.hp.com (Bob Witte) writes:
=> =        Why isn't c used for current? Because c is used for capacitance.
=>
=> Actually, C is used for capacitance.
=>
=
=        Nitpicker.
=

No, just "case-sensitive"!  ;-)

Pete
--

gomez@speedway2.DAB.GE.COM (Frank Gomez) (05/08/91)

In article <1139@helps.cactus.org> jhoward@helps.cactus.org (James Howard) writes:

>In math the sqrt(-1) is representated by the letter i.  In electronics
>why is the letter j used to represent the square root of -1?
>
>Thanks for any replies, posted or Emailed.
>
>---
>
>James Howard          Howard Electronic Laboratories Products & Services
>AA5R           cs.utexas.edu!helps!jhoward  or  jhoward@helps.cactus.org

In electrical engineering the symbol "i" is used to imply current.
Thus a new symbol "j" was chosen, as to not confuse people.

bob@miranda.inmos.co.uk (Bob Green) (05/10/91)

In article <q5oF22w164w@bluemoon.uucp>, moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) writes:
|> pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
|>
|> > In article <38610010@col.hp.com> bobw@col.hp.com (Bob Witte) writes:
|> >
|> > Actually, C is used for capacitance.
|> >
|> > Pete
|>
|>         Nitpicker.
           ^^^^^^^^^^ Not really, case is actually quite important. For example
how much current would you prefer to sink, 5 mA or 5 MA ?

-Bob

--