[sci.electronics] Wanted: Voltage Controlled Oscillators, can type, under $50.

youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Dean Youngquist) (05/09/91)

I am looking for manufacturers of Voltage Controlled Crystal Oscillators.
I have found one, MuRata-Erie, but they charge about $50.00 each.  Now
I understand that they might be a bit more money than their fixed frequency
counterparts but 50 clams seems a bit steep!  The fixed frequency cans
used in computers are about $5 to $10 are'nt they?

Therefore I am looking for other sources.  Any leads welcome.
| ...Any resemblance between the above views and those of my college,   |
| my terminal, or the view out of my window are purely coincidental.    |
| Any resemblance between the above and my own view is nondeterministic.|
| The question of the existance of views in the absence of anyone to    |
| hold them is left as an exercise for the reader. The question of the  |
| existance of the reader is left as an exercise for the second god     |
| coefficient. ( A discussion of non-orthogonal, non-integral polytheism|
| is beyond the scope of this article ).                                |
| Dean Youngquist - youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu                          |

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May09.000310.7621@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Dean Youngquist) writes:
>I am looking for manufacturers of Voltage Controlled Crystal Oscillators.
>I have found one, MuRata-Erie, but they charge about $50.00 each.  Now
>I understand that they might be a bit more mo
>counterparts but 50 clams seems a bit steep!  The fixed frequency cans

	Of course, it matters what your frequency range is.  From DC
to about 15 MHz, you can use a 74HC4046 (about $1), or for higher
frequencies a 74S124 (60 MHz) or 74LS321 (70 MHz) should fill
your needs for about $3.  In ECL, the venerable MC1648 will take
you to about 225 MHz.

	These all require a resistor/capacitor pair to set the frequency
range.  The 'HC4046 (like the CD4046 slow-CMOS part it replaces) has
particularly convenient adjustment inputs for both center frequency
and frequency range.  The 'S124 and 'LS321 are duals.

	John Whitmore

dana@locus.com (Dana H. Myers) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.022841.24746@milton.u.washington.edu> whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) writes:

>	Of course, it matters what your frequency range is.  From DC
>to about 15 MHz, you can use a 74HC4046 (about $1), or for higher
>frequencies a 74S124 (60 MHz) or 74LS321 (70 MHz) should fill
>your needs for about $3.  In ECL, the venerable MC1648 will take
>you to about 225 MHz.
>
>	These all require a resistor/capacitor pair to set the frequency
>range.

  Not really. The MC1648 oscillator uses an LC tank to set the frequency.
Voltage control is accomplished with external voltage-variable capacitance
diodes.

Dana

--
 * Dana H. Myers KK6JQ 		| Views expressed here are	*
 * (213) 337-5136 		| mine and do not necessarily	*