[sci.electronics] TAB books

derrick@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu (Derrick Williams) (05/06/91)

 I picked up a TAB book, "30 Customized Microprocessor Projects" by Delton
T. Horn. It is listed as TAB book # 2705. It looks like a good introduction
to microprocessor devices, but I noticed some glaring errors in the schematics
shown in the book. I'm not an electronics expert (hence buying this "how to"
book), but the power supply the book suggests I build has an error in the
rectifier section, in which the connections are rotated 90 degrees, so that
the transformer is shorted out. The recommended rectifing diodes, 1n4004's,
not inappropriate as they get hot, and only 2.53 volts leave the rectifier
(6.3 input voltage). I looked them up in a Mouser Electronics catalog, and
these rectifiers are rated at 1A with a 400prv (peak reverse voltage, I think),
and this is on a 3 A transformer. The diagram is on page 155. Also, what should
be labled as "-" on the rectifier is connected to ground.
 On page 165, the 7474 daul d-type flip flop has its pins incorrectly
labled. There are two pins labled "4". They should be 4 for the input signal,
and 6 for the output.
 Has anyone had a similar experience with this author, or with TAB books in
general? I've become a bit skeptical about building projects from this book
as my power supply started to smoke when I built it as described.
I would hate to think TAB books made similar errors in other books, like
"Build Your Own Cutting Laser".

                                                      Derrick

 PS. What's the best diode to get for a rectifier for a 6.3v 3amp output
voltage from a transformer? How about a 1n5408?

popelka@odysseus.uchicago.edu (Glenn Popelka) (05/09/91)

 In <1991May6.003753.8745@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu>, Derrick Williams laments:

> I picked up a TAB book, "30 Customized Microprocessor Projects" by Delton
>T. Horn. It is listed as TAB book # 2705. It looks like a good introduction
>to microprocessor devices, but I noticed some glaring errors in the schematics

 I made the mistake of joining their Engineering Book Club in the late 70's,
and I found glaring errors in just about every book I got. I would avoid
*any* TAB book, no matter how attractive the title. The subject matter seemed
to be very shallow, and the editing poor. They don't seem to have changed
much...

glenn

crean@zds-oem.UUCP (Pat Crean Federal Systems Engineering x ????) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May6.003753.8745@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu> derrick@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu (Derrick Williams) writes:

> I picked up a TAB book, "30 Customized Microprocessor Projects" by Delton
>T. Horn. It is listed as TAB book # 2705. It looks like a good introduction
>to microprocessor devices, but I noticed some glaring errors in the schematics
>shown in the book. I'm not an electronics expert (hence buying this "how to"
> Has anyone had a similar experience with this author, or with TAB books in
>general? I've become a bit skeptical about building projects from this book
>as my power supply started to smoke when I built it as described.

I have learned my lesson the hard way --- TAB computer books are either
editted by someone with _no_ editorial or computer skills (or not editted)
at all :-)

For a real laugh, try "UNIX Internals" also published by TAB --- not only
are all the listings physically cut and pasted from dot matrix hard copy
(with a dead ribbon), they even managed to screw up the classic "hello.c"
example program (why would they feel the need to use this example in a
book with this title?).

Just my opinion.

Pat

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May9.030837.8106@midway.uchicago.edu> popelka@odysseus.uchicago.edu (Glenn Popelka) writes:

    I made the mistake of joining their Engineering Book Club in the late 70's,
   and I found glaring errors in just about every book I got. I would avoid
   *any* TAB book, no matter how attractive the title. The subject matter seemed
   to be very shallow, and the editing poor. They don't seem to have changed
   much...

I personally wouldn't go that far. I've seen some good material from TAB.
But then I don't buy TAB books for schematics.

Errors in schematics seem to be a fact of life. Many popular magazine
schematics, like in Radio Electronics, contain occasional bugs.

I suspect it's because electronics hobbyists don't use CAD tools, or
at least not all the way. Ideally, a project should be entered into
a schematic tool, and the netlist from the schematic should go
into a PCB layout tool, and its output to a plotter. PCB fixes should
be back annotated to the schematic. Then consistency is assured,
at least to the limit of bugs in the CAD software itself.

I remember a time when software listings in do-it-yourself articles
were error-prone. Then publishers got wise and instead of re-typing
the source code, they directly inserted a line-printed source code
listing, the same source code that generated the correct executable.

If its helps, try to use schematics from magazines, and wait a couple
of issues for errata and bug reports, from other brave souls. In
a book like "454 circuits you can assemble in a single evening",
it's almost a certainity that there will be some errors. Books like
this are best used for picking up circuit techniques, not for
actual schematics, (IMHO).

Regards,

/ Jon Sreekanth

Assabet Valley Microsystems			Fax and PC products
346 Lincoln St #722, Marlboro, MA 01752		508-562-0722
jon_sree@world.std.com

baker@wbc.enet.dec.com (05/09/91)

-Message-Text-Follows-

> I made the mistake of joining their Engineering Book Club in the late 70's,
>and I found glaring errors in just about every book I got. I would avoid
>*any* TAB book, no matter how attractive the title. The subject matter seemed
>to be very shallow, and the editing poor. They don't seem to have changed
>much...

	The only thing that's changed at TAB is that they're avoiding their
	poor reputation by publishing more titles through their subsidiary
	companies, Windcrest and TPI.

	But a trashcan by any other name...

	Regards,

	* Art Baker			| "Perscriptio in manibus *
	* baker@wbc.enet.dec.com	|   tabellariorum est."	  *
	* PLINK: A*BAKER		|    			  *

owens@ogicse.cse.ogi.edu (Steve Owens) (05/10/91)

 In <1991May6.003753.8745@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu>, Derrick Williams laments:

> I picked up a TAB book, "30 Customized Microprocessor Projects" by Delton
>T. Horn. It is listed as TAB book # 2705. It looks like a good introduction

 TAB books are in general garbage, written by charlatans and
not worth the cost of the paper they are printed on. I
would be very dubious about any project described in them,
roughly the same can be said about Steve Ciarcia's (Sp?)
Circuit Cellar ( or Circuit Sewer ) publications.
 Unfortunately most hobby and neophyte electronics in the
U.S. has fallen to an all time low, characterised by
bogus experts passing off inept, and often dangerous
designs to the unsuspecting.
 The book you <really> want is 'The Art of Electronics'
by Horowitz and Hill. Quoting from the dust jacket:

	'The Art of Electronics is a text/reference
	book that emphasizes electronic circuit design
	techniques and scientific measurements. It
	begins at a level suitable with no previous
	and takes the reader through to a reasonable
	level of design proficiency, emphasizing the
	techniques used daily by circuit designers..

	ISBN 0-521-23151-5

-Steve-

murray@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (John Murray) (05/10/91)

Whenever I want to decide if this month's offering from TAB is
worthwhile, I just walk downstairs to FSU's Science Library and
dig the book out of their stacks. I've discovered that 70-80% of
the titles that the book club offers are in BOTH the FSU library
AND the Leon County public library. 1991 copyright dates, even.
I'll bet they're all in your libraries too.

I assume TAB needs the tax write-off.

I'm just hoping that Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar (vol 7) isn't
a typical TAB book.

--
*Standard Disclaimers Apply*|        ---Get Out Of HELL Free!---
John R. Murray              |The bearer of this card is entitled to forgive

newton@ils.nwu.edu (David Newton) (05/13/91)

In article <21179@ogicse.ogi.edu>, owens@ogicse.cse.ogi.edu (Steve
Owens) writes:
> roughly the same can be said about Steve Ciarcia's (Sp?)
> Circuit Cellar ( or Circuit Sewer ) publications.

   Er, that's kinda odd.  I've always found Steve's circuits to be reliable,
effective, cheap, and occasionally fun.

   TAB books reek, no doubt, but Ciarcia's a different class altogether.
What have you seen of his that is garbage?

--
David L. Newton	     |  Work: (708) 467-1015  |      newton@ils.nwu.edu
ILS, Room 135 (work) |  Home: (708) 332-2321  |-------------------------------