[sci.electronics] do 'static' DRAMS exist ?

et891892@levels.sait.edu.au (05/07/91)

	Has anybody heard of DRAM chips / simms that have a built-in
	refresh counter that doesn't need to be clocked externally ?
         I thought I read somewhere that Samsung make chips (KM4C1002)
	that are pseudo static ..

	I would like to have a large amount of RAM ( 1MByte - 4MByte)
	controlled by a MC68HC11 microcontroller , but I can't work
	out a way of refreshing the RAM without using a complicated
	dedicated DRAM controller. The DRAM's do not need to be mapped
	into the CPU's memory map.

	Please reply to this newsgroup or to

		et891892@lux.sait.edu.au

	Kym Newbery
 Kym B Newbery - >>MAATSUYKER<< |                - MISTAKES -
 UNIX: et891892@lux.sait.edu.au |    ' Doctors bury them.........
 VMS:  et891892@lv.sait.edu.au  |         ...engineers get buried by them'
 3rd Year Electronic Engineering Student @ The University of South Australia

steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) (05/09/91)

        Kym, you worded my question perfectly. I also need pseudo static DRAM's
After experimenting with hiddious Memory Management Units, i am convinced
that large static memories or pseudo static dynamic memories will conserve
the space i have avail to me.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

steve h

rupe@motcid.UUCP (Bernard Rupe) (05/10/91)

In article <steveh.673772764@tasman> steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) writes:

>        Kym, you worded my question perfectly. I also need pseudo static DRAM's
>After experimenting with hiddious Memory Management Units, i am convinced
>that large static memories or pseudo static dynamic memories will conserve
>the space i have avail to me.

Pseudo Static DRAMs are available from Micron Technologies.  The spec I have in front
of me is for a 128Kx8 PSDRAM, part number MT45C8128.  Check with your local rep for
more info.

--
Bernie Rupe 		                      1501 W. Shure Drive  Room 1315
Motorola, Inc.                                Arlington Heights, IL 60004

cjp@megatek.UUCP (Christopher J. Pikus) (05/14/91)

et891892@levels.sait.edu.au writes:

> 	Has anybody heard of DRAM chips / simms that have a built-in
> 	refresh counter that doesn't need to be clocked externally ?
>          I thought I read somewhere that Samsung make chips (KM4C1002)
> 	that are pseudo static ..
>
>  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  Kym B Newbery - >>MAATSUYKER<< |                - MISTAKES -
>  UNIX: et891892@lux.sait.edu.au |    ' Doctors bury them.........
>  VMS:  et891892@lv.sait.edu.au  |         ...engineers get buried by them'

	These are called pseudo-static DRAMS. They offer the density and low
power consumption of DRAM with the simplicity of static RAM. They have the
refresh circuitry and addressing (RAS/CAS) inside the chip.

	Hitachi makes them. Someone mentioned Micron too but they are US based
and you might have an easier time getting Japaneese parts.

--
Gun control means being able to hit your target....
Christopher J. Pikus,               Megatek Corp.