[sci.electronics] Fiber optic transceiver components anywhere?

hts@cs.tut.fi (Siirtola Harri) (05/09/91)

I'm developing a transceiver for single mode fiber. It should provide
an AUI interface (Ethernet IEEE 802.3) for DTEs. Does anyone know if
there are components (intelligent ICs if possible) available for such
a device? I know there are AUI controller chips for Ethernet coax cables
but can I find similar ICs for this purpose? Any intelligent laser/PIN
controllers?
Some technical information:
	- 10/125 um single mode fiber
	- 1310 nm laser/PIN
	- data rate 20 Mbps

Any advice would be appreciated, please e-mail if possible.

	Thanks,

	Harri Siirtola
	Tampere Univ. of Tech.
	Finland

simnet@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark R Poulson) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May9.103457.28121@funet.fi>, hts@cs.tut.fi (Siirtola Harri) writes:

> I'm developing a transceiver for single mode fiber. It should provide
> an AUI interface (Ethernet IEEE 802.3) for DTEs. Does anyone know if
> there are components (intelligent ICs if possible) available for such
> a device? I know there are AUI controller chips for Ethernet coax cables
> but can I find similar ICs for this purpose? Any intelligent laser/PIN
> controllers?
> Some technical information:

I had trouble with the return path so I posted instead. I have a fiber optic
ethernet transceiver on my desk. It is made by Codenoll and the model number
is 3030C. I took this device apart and found the following:

	A big 30 pin device labeled "CODELINK 20BR OPTICAL RECEIVER"
	A big 20 pin device labeled "CODELINK 20BT OPTICAL TRANSMITTER"
	About 14 DIP IC's (MC10116, MC10117, TC74123, MC74132, CD74165)
	An interesting board with 5 chips thats been dipped in a black coating

This device uses multimode fiber (not single mode like you specified). You
can purchase these, I'm sure, but I do not know if Codenoll will sell the
individual transmitter and receiver units inside their transceivers. The cost
(about a year ago) was $795 per transceiver.

Should you wish to contact them, their address is as follows:

	Codenoll Technology Corporation
	1086 North Broadway
	Younkers, NY 10701
	USA