[sci.electronics] VGA startup board/monitor sync?

sra@idx.com (05/14/91)

In layman's terms how does a VGA board and Autosync Monitor figure out how to
talk to one another?  I have a board/monitor combination that (2 times out of 3)
can't get in "sync" and the monitor "snaps" off (or gives up).

tnx, steve

  /------------------------------------------------------------------------\
  \--------------------------- sra @ idx.com ------------------------------/

steveq@syd.dms.CSIRO.AU (Stephen Quigg) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May13.134149.2267@idx.com> sra@idx.com writes:
>In layman's terms how does a VGA board and Autosync Monitor figure out how to
>talk to one another?  I have a board/monitor combination that (2 times out of 3)
>can't get in "sync" and the monitor "snaps" off (or gives up).
>
>tnx, steve
>
>  /------------------------------------------------------------------------\
>  >   Steve Alpert (W1GGN)  IDX Corporation    Marlborough, Massachusetts  <
>  \--------------------------- sra @ idx.com ------------------------------/

 The VGA board tells the monitor what to expect by the polarity of the horiz.
and vert. sync signals. Here's what an NEC MultiSync 2A sets up to.

Vert Res.      Horiz Freq    H Sync    Vert Freq    V Sync
                            Polarity               Polarity

350 lines      31.5 kHz      pos       70.07 Hz     neg
400 lines      31.5 kHz      neg       70.07 Hz     pos
480 lines      31.5 kHz      neg       59.95 Hz     neg
600 lines      35.2 kHz      pos       56.24 Hz     pos

Your problem is probably one of the following;
1. You are trying a mode your monitor won't support.
2. Your monitor is out of adjustment.
3. Your monitor is faulty.
Possibly, the card or monitor is not "playing the rules", eg monitor expects
one set of sync rates according to the sync polarities, and the card is sending
out another (unlikely but...)