[sci.electronics] RMS versus pk-pk

dana@locus.com (Dana H. Myers) (04/27/91)

I wrote:
    I know I'm the one who claimed that power is dissipated in capacitors a
  while back (ugh!), but I do not believe 120VRMS is 340V p-p. It is 170V p-p.

To which sidney@coed.coastal.ufl.edu replied:
  The 120vrms power is 340v p-p.  The voltage equation for our 120 volt
  system is 120*sin(377t).  The rms value is the square root of the integral
  of the voltage squared over a full period.  For sine wave voltages this
  works out to .707 * the peak voltage.  For 120vrms power this is
  .707 * 170 = 120 volts.  The 170 volt peak voltage occurs on both the
  positive and negative portions of the sin wave.  Thusly the peak to peak
  voltage is 340V not 170.

And now I write:

  Oh goodness, I've done it again.

--
 * Dana H. Myers KK6JQ 		| Views expressed here are	*
 * (213) 337-5136 		| mine and do not necessarily	*

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (04/30/91)

>The 120vrms power is 340v p-p.  The voltage equation for our 120 volt
>system is 120*sin(377t).  The rms value is the square root of the integral
           ^^^

I can't believe it's talking so long to get this right!  Care to take
another shot, with the hint that the "120V" is an *RMS* value?

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
myers@fc.hp.com                          |  sentient life-form on this planet.

dam@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk (David Morning) (05/02/91)

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) writes:

]>The 120vrms power is 340v p-p.  The voltage equation for our 120 volt
]>system is 120*sin(377t).  The rms value is the square root of the integral
]           ^^^

]I can't believe it's talking so long to get this right!  Care to take
]another shot, with the hint that the "120V" is an *RMS* value?

Err..... how about 340*sin(314t)... No?

Dave

raoul@eplunix.UUCP (Nico Garcia) (05/02/91)

In article <17660158@hpfcdj.HP.COM>, myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) writes:
> >The 120vrms power is 340v p-p.  The voltage equation for our 120 volt
> >system is 120*sin(377t).  The rms value is the square root of the integral

My oscilloscope says it's 320 V p-p. This means our output voltage is
	160 V	*	sin(	377	*	t	+ 	delta)
	1/2 of p-p		2 * Pi * 60 cycles		time offset

And, 160 * 2^1/2 = 113 Volts. OK? In a perfect 120 Volts RMS world, it would
be 339.4 Volts p0p.

Are we all settled now? Thank you. We now return you to your regularly
scheduled newsgroup.
--
			Nico Garcia
			Designs by Geniuses for use by Idiots

In article <1071@eplunix.UUCP>, raoul@eplunix.UUCP (Nico Garcia) writes:
> My oscilloscope says it's 320 V p-p. This means our output voltage is
> 	160 V	*	sin(	377	*	t	+ 	delta)
> 	1/2 of p-p		2 * Pi * 60 cycles		time offset
> And, 160 * 2^1/2 = 113 Volts. OK? In a perfect 120 Volts RMS world, it would
> be 339.4 Volts p0p.

Gods, even *I* did it. 160 * (1/2)^1/2 = 113 Volts. So, we all get mixed up
in this stuff we know so well....

--

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (05/02/91)

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) writes:

> I can't believe it's talking so long to get this right!  Care to take
                       ^^^^^^^
I can't believe it's taking so long, either!  (Gosh, Bob, maybe that
_wasn't_ a typo!)

> another shot, with the hint that the "120V" is an *RMS* value?
                                        ^^^^
         Maybe the writer lives in an area of continual brown-outs.
         (And slightly-higher-than-normal line frequency.)

;-)  ;-)

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (05/03/91)

dam@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk (David Morning) writes:

> Err..... how about 340*sin(314t)... No?

I'd like to nominate Dave to the order of the Golden Electron.
Someone finally posted it right!

rex@cs.su.oz (Rex Di Bona) (05/08/91)

In article <12900002@hpavla.avo.hp.com> devlin@hpavla.avo.hp.com (Lee Devlin) writes:

> Cliff Stein writes:
> >
> >What's the purpose of polarized wall outlets with an AC
> >signal?  I don't understand.   Is it really bad to force
> >something to plug in the wrong way?
>
> >I am serious.  With a real AC signal (sinusoidal waves) I can see no reason
> >at all for it.  How can the electrical equipment tell?

> I came to the conclusion that they are trying to keep the internal fuse
> in the hot line so that, if it blows when there's a short against the
> enclosure, the enclosure won't be sitting at line voltage.  This would be
> the case if the internal fuse were in the neutral line.  That is the only
> reason I can see for using 2-prong polarized plugs.  For this scheme to
> work, the electrician has to have wired the house correctly (left = line,
> right = neutral).
>
> Lee Devlin

The three wires in an AC General Purpose Outlet (those wall sockets)
are the active (red or brown), neutral (light blue or black), and
earth (green/yellow). Under IEC and CEE regulations yellow/green is
ALWAYS earth, and if there is a neutral it is light blue, and the rest
are available for actives. It is the active conductor that has the current
'flowing' in it, and your appliance uses this by letting the current return
via the neutral conductor. The neutral conductor will provide no
current of its own, and is usually joined to earth. If you only have two
pins in the socket they will be active and neutral (in Australia the
active is on the left, when looking from the plug side).

Now, if a break down occurs it will occur in one of three ways, either
(1) the circuit is broken, ie, a conductor breaks, or (2) part of the
circuit shorts out and extra current flows (to either neutral or earth),
or finally, (3) metallic (well, usually metallic) parts are brought
into contact with one of the conductors, and are accessible to the
user.

If 1 occurs then there is no problem. The current stops flowing, and
you fix the device.  If 2 occurs then the protective device for the
house supply should cut off the current as excessive current is being
drawn, and the conductors may overheat and ignite.  If 3 occurs then
there is a dangerous situation, no apparent fault exists, but current
may be conducted if either a source (unlikely) or sink (very likely, ie
you) comes into contact with the device. This moves the fault into
category 2 and we hope the house device activates.

Now, it is totally possible that the house protective device can supply
a LOT of current. Circuit breakers that allow 30A before breaking are
common, so you can put 240V into anything above 8 ohms and not reach
that 30 amps. (actually thats' RMS, and the peak is higher, giving a
max resistance of about 11 ohms before the breaker will trip). Now, a
person is usually higher than 12 ohms, so an additional protective
device is added to the circuit. This protective device must go into the
active conductor to be effective, ie, the current that is killing you
is going active->device->you->earth and nowhere near the neutral conductor.

This is why the plugs are polarised. To ensure that the additional
protective device is in the right conductor.

Now, I would hope that a metallic case would be earthed. Only with
doubly earthed devices should there be no earth wire. Good audio
equipment is, however, usually double insulated to reduce the hum
formed by earth loops.

In Australia the installation of electric wiring is controlled by a
specified standard, AS3000-1986 SAA WIRING RULES.

0.5.58 Insulation, double:
    A live part shall be regarded as separated from non-current-carrying
    metal parts by double insulation only if two layers of insulating
    material complying with the appropriate requirements of AS 3100
    intervene between the live part and such metal parts.

    The layer of insulation adjacent to live parts is referred to as
    'functional insulation' the second layer is referred to as 'protective
    insulation'.  (The symbol for double insulation is a square within a
    square)

5.3.8.1 Double insulation: general.
    Equipment complying with the requirements of AS 3100 for double
    insulation need not be earthed.

5.3.8.3 Internal equipment wiring.
    Conductors within equipment having double insulation shall be protected,
    secured, or insulated so that, if any one conductor becomes detached
    from its termination, neither the conductor nor its functional
    insulation can come into contact with accessible metal. The attachment
    of one conductor to another by tying, lacing, clipping or the like, in
    such a manner as to prevent either conductor coming into contact with
    accessible metal if it becomes detached from its termination, shall be
    deemed to comply with this requirement.

This means that we don't want to allow (3) to happen, and so you will
also see no fuse on a double insulated device.
--------
Rex di Bona (rex@cs.su.oz.au)
Penguin Lust is NOT immoral

chaplin@keinstr.uucp (chaplin) (05/09/91)

In article <12900002@hpavla.avo.hp.com> devlin@hpavla.avo.hp.com (Lee Devlin) writes:
>For this scheme [polarized line cord plugs] to
>work, the electrician has to have wired the house correctly (left = line,
>right = neutral).
>
>Lee Devlin

Polarized plugs (and outlets) don't know "left" and "right."  They know
"wide blade (hole)" and "narrow blade (hole)."  Hot may be on the left
or the right, depending upon how whoever installed the outlet, or how
your head happens to be positioned relative the the earth.  Regardless,
a properly wired polarized outlet will have hot on the narrow hole and
neutral on the wide hole.

--
Roger Chaplin / Instruments Division Engineering / uunet!keinstr!chaplin
CI$: 76307,3506 / voice: (216) 498-2815 / FAX: (216) 248-6168

edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) (05/11/91)

In article <2399@cluster.cs.su.oz.au> rex@cluster.cs.su.oz (Rex Di Bona) writes:
>The three wires in an AC General Purpose Outlet (those wall sockets)
>are the active (red or brown), neutral (light blue or black), and
>earth (green/yellow).

Careful!  Although the ground wire is generally green in the US, the hot
wire is frequently black, *not* the neutral, which is generally white.
Needless to say, what is standard in Australia (or the US) may not be
elsewhere.

		-Ed Hall
		edhall@rand.org

adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May10.202150.6785@rand.org> edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) writes:
>In article <2399@cluster.cs.su.oz.au> rex@cluster.cs.su.oz (Rex Di Bona) writes:
>>The three wires in an AC General Purpose Outlet (those wall sockets)
>>are the active (red or brown), neutral (light blue or black), and
>>earth (green/yellow).
>
>Careful!  Although the ground wire is generally green in the US, the hot
>wire is frequently black, *not* the neutral, which is generally white.
>Needless to say, what is standard in Australia (or the US) may not be
>elsewhere.

I seem to be suffering from deja vu.  Wasn't this discussed a little while
ago?

Here's the table I was given by our safety office:

			2 wire			3 wire
		Live	Neutral	   |	Live	Neutral	Earth
-----------------------------------+-------------------------------------
U.K. (new)	Brown	Blue	   |	Brown	Blue	Green and Yellow

U.K. (old)	Red	Black	   |	Red	Black	Green

Denmark		Black*	Blue	   |	Brown/	Blue	Green and Yellow
				   |	Black
Finland		Black/	Blue	   |	Brown	Blue	Green and Yellow

Greece		Any	Grey	   |	Any	Grey	Yellow
		except		   |	except
		Grey,		   |	Grey,
		Yellow,		   |	Yellow,
		or Blue		   |	or Blue

Japan		Black	White	   |	Black	White	Red

Poland		Black*	Blue	   |	Black	Blue	Green and Yellow

Switzerland	Any	Any	   |	Brown	Blue	Green and Yellow
		except	except	   |
		Yellow	Yellow	   |
		or Blue	or Red	   |

U.S.A. and	Black*	White	   |	Black	White	Green or
Canada			or Grey	   |		or Grey	Green and Yellow

*Black for live in 2-core cords is now being replaced by Brown.

My notes:
1.  If you see green, yellow or a combination thereof, it's almost certainly
earth.
2.  If you see blue, it's almost certainly neutral.
3.  If you see brown, it's almost certainly live.
4.  What the black wire does, depends on what other colours are present.  If
there's a white or grey wire present, then black is live, and white is
neutral.  If there are two wires (black and red) or three wires (black, red
and green) then black is neutral.  If there are three wires (black, red and
white) then black is live, white is neutral and red is earth!
5.  The jokers in the pack are Japan (red earth), and Greece and Switzerland.
I've also seen a Chinese cooker with two white wires.  China isn't included
in the above list, because it isn't in the list in my booklet.  Presumably
the Chinese use electrical devices as a form of population control - the cooker
in question, a small portable one, had a metal frame and no earth connection.

 "Keyboard?  How quaint!" - M. Scott

 Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs
 UUCP: ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!adrian     |  ARPA:   adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk

tell@oscar.cs.unc.edu (Stephen Tell) (05/15/91)

In article <2953@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) writes:
>In article <1991May10.202150.6785@rand.org> edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) writes:
>>In article <2399@cluster.cs.su.oz.au> rex@cluster.cs.su.oz (Rex Di Bona) writes:
>>>The three wires in an AC General Purpose Outlet (those wall sockets)
>>>are the active (red or brown), neutral (light blue or black), and
>>>earth (green/yellow).
>>
>>Careful!  Although the ground wire is generally green in the US, the hot
>>wire is frequently black, *not* the neutral, which is generally white.
>>Needless to say, what is standard in Australia (or the US) may not be
>>elsewhere.

>Here's the table I was given by our safety office:
[Nice table deleted for brevity]

>U.S.A. and	Black*	White	   |	Black	White	Green or
>Canada			or Grey	   |		or Grey	Green and Yellow
>
>*Black for live in 2-core cords is now being replaced by Brown.
>
>My notes:
>1.  If you see green, yellow or a combination thereof, it's almost certainly
>earth.
>2.  If you see blue, it's almost certainly neutral.

Carefull!!

In larger buildings in the US, 120/208 volt 3-phase service uses
Black, Red, and Blue for the three hot wires, with the standard white
for neutral and green for brown.

I've seen such an installation (build less than two years ago, passed
inspection) that kept the hot wire in its original color to identify which
phase it was associated with even when there were no other hot wires in
that conduit.  So, an outlet could be fed by blue (hot), white (neutral),
and green (ground).

In the same building, yellow, brown, and orange are the three hot wires
for 277/480 volt 3-phase.  I don't think 277/480 is ever supposed to share
a conduit with 120/208, though.

I have seen it advised to "re-code" the white wire to blue with electrical
tape when using both wires in two-conductor cable as hots, like to a switch.

>3.  If you see brown, it's almost certainly live.
>4.  What the black wire does, depends on what other colours are present.  If
>there's a white or grey wire present, then black is live, and white is
>neutral.  If there are two wires (black and red) or three wires (black, red
>and green) then black is neutral.  If there are three wires (black, red and
>white) then black is live, white is neutral and red is earth!

In the US, red/black/green could be 240 volts with ground and no neutral
(two hots).   Red/black/white could be 120/140 (or 120/208), although there
really should be a neutral in there).

>5.  The jokers in the pack are Japan (red earth), and Greece and Switzerland....

Thanks for the useful info, but I think the real lesson should be:  If you're
planning to mess around with AC power, know what you're doing, have a
voltmeter, know how to use it, and be extremly careful.  Especially in
another country or in an old building.

> Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs
> UUCP: ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!adrian     |  ARPA:   adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk

--
Steve Tell       tell@cs.unc.edu    H: +1 919 968 1792   #5L Estes Park apts
CS Grad Student, UNC Chapel Hill.   W: +1 919 962 1845   Carrboro NC 27510