[sci.electronics] 6502 - Can it go faster than 4MHz

steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) (05/09/91)

	Evening folks.  I have been working on a design that requires a high
speed 6502. I checked out the GS65C802, but was told it was too expensive
and was no longer manufactured.

Does anyone know if a 6502 greater than 4Mhz exists. Or if rockwell have
other processors that are faster and compatible with the 6502's instruction set.

I Know that my GS has a 65c816, but thats over kill for my task. My programmer
is not farmiliar with 65c816 anyway.

thanks in advance

steve h

llee@rocket.uucp (Leonard Lee) (05/13/91)

In I.C. Master 1989-1990 I saw an ad by Commodore Semiconductor for a
10MHz 6502 compatible micro. Don't know what happened to the chip, or
to Commodore Semiconductor. Len.

andreww@uniwa.uwa.oz (Andrew John Williams) (05/16/91)

llee@rocket.uucp (Leonard Lee) writes:

>In I.C. Master 1989-1990 I saw an ad by Commodore Semiconductor for a
>10MHz 6502 compatible micro. Don't know what happened to the chip, or
>to Commodore Semiconductor. Len.

I've seen an ad for a 12Mhz chip some years ago. It was a 65c02. All the
fast ones are CMOS. Also you might be interested in the chips made by
WDC, the 65802 and 65816. The 65802 is pin-compatible with the 6502 and
has a 16-bit internal architecture. It also supports a 6502 'emulation
mode'. The 65816 is the same as this but has a different external
interface. This lets it support up to 16Mb of address space. Both of
these run up to 8MHz.

Teik Fish
(using Andrew Williams' account)