[sci.electronics] Help needed with stepper motor.

ypham@jarthur.claremont.edu (Yen) (05/09/91)

Hello netters,

I am doing a project that need a stepper motor.  I was able to found

some from a junk box.  Now, are there any standard to the wiring to

these motors? What is the drive circuit needed to drive one of these

motor looks like?  I would appreciate some pointers, or the sources I

should seek for helps.  I remember that somebody posted a note about this

last year on this news group.  How can I find this article again?

THANKS IN ADVANCE,    YEN

grege@gold.gvg.tek.com (Greg Ebert) (05/11/91)

In article <12076@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> ypham@jarthur.claremont.edu (Yen) writes:
>Hello netters,
>
>I am doing a project that need a stepper motor.  I was able to found
>
> [...]

There are 2 types of steppers I know of: 4-wire and 6-wire. In the
following discussion, the word 'high' means a DC source. It can be
positive or negative. About 12-15 volts usually works. Each state is
about 3-10 milliseconds for a "typical" stepper. To be safe, start out
with small voltages and time intervals, then work your way up if you
need more torque or if it's too fast.

*****REMEMBER*****  You have inductive loads! Makes sure you provide a
return path with a reverse-biased diode. If you aren't nice to inductors,
they will get revenge !

4 wire: There are 2 separate windings. Use an ohmmeter to identify them.

Call the wires on the first pair A and B; The second pair C & D
To make the motor rotate, do the following sequence:

	A=high  B=gnd  C=open D=gnd
	A=open  B=gnd  C=high D=gnd
	A=gnd   B=high C=gnd  D=open
	A=gnd   B=open C=gnd  D=high
	   (repeat)

If the motor just vibrates, interchange A & B. To reverse, do the sequence
backwards.

- -

6 wire: There are 2 separate center-tapped windings. Use an ohmmeter to
identify them; the lowest resistance means you found the center tap.

Tie both center taps to high. Call the remaining 2 wires on one winding A & B.
Call the last 2 C & D. The sequence is:

	A=gnd  B=open C=open D=open
	A=open B=open C=gnd  D=open
	A=open B=gnd  C=open D=open
	A=open B=open C=open D=gnd
	   (repeat)

If the motor just vibrates, interchange A & B. To reverse, do the sequence
backwards.

- - -
You can do half-steps by logically ORing adjacent states.

rzh@phoenix.ocf.llnl.gov (roger h hanscom) (05/14/91)

In article <2309@gold.gvg.tek.com> grege@gold.gvg.tek.com (Greg Ebert) writes:
>In article <12076@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> ypham@jarthur.claremont.edu (Yen) writes:
>>Hello netters,
>>
>>I am doing a project that need a stepper motor.  I was able to found
>>
>> [...]
>
>There are 2 types of steppers I know of: 4-wire and 6-wire. In the
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

     .....remainder of article deleted for the sake of brevity.....

What about 10-wire where each of the 5 pairs seems to be one winding,
and there are no cross connections between them (motor is of German
origin, I believe)???

        roger                 icf!rzh@lll-winken.llnl.gov
                               rzh@phoenix.ocf.llnl.gov
                                    rzh@llnl.gov

mzenier@polari.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (05/16/91)

In article <844@llnl.LLNL.GOV> rzh@phoenix.ocf.llnl.gov (roger h hanscom) writes:
>In article <2309@gold.gvg.tek.com> grege@gold.gvg.tek.com (Greg Ebert) writes:
>>In article <12076@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> ypham@jarthur.claremont.edu (Yen) writes:
>>>I am doing a project that need a stepper motor.  I was able to found
>>
>>There are 2 types of steppers I know of: 4-wire and 6-wire. In the
>
>What about 10-wire where each of the 5 pairs seems to be one winding,
>and there are no cross connections between them (motor is of German
>origin, I believe)???

A better stepper motor taxonomy has 3 components.

1.  Basic Mechanism.
  (a) Variable Relectance
  (b) Permanent Magnet
2.  Number of Windings.
   (2 to 5)
3.  Winding wiring.
  (a) Bipolar Drive
  (b) Unipolar Drive

The basic mechanism that generates the torque comes in two basic flavors,
(If you avoid some real oddballs that are only used in clocks and the like).

Variable Reluctance steppers work like a solenoid.  You energize a winding
and the rotor assumes a position that minimizes the magnetic "path".
The advantage is lower rotor mass, and higher speed.  VR stepper can
be identified by having no detenting (cogging) when they are powered off.
With no detenting, they won't keep position when powered off, an advantage
for Permanent Magnet steppers, depending on the application.
VR steppers have at least 3 windings, otherwise they couldn't determine
which direction they would move.
The polarity of drive (positive/negative current) doesn't matter.

Permanent Magnet steppers have magnets built into the rotor.  The windings
create magnetic fields which cause attraction and repulsion forces with
the magnets in the rotor.  The polarity of drive matters.  A Hybrid stepper
is a PM stepper with some Variable Reluctance structures to increase
performance, usually a higher top speed.  PM steppers usually have
2 windings, although the strange ones mentioned above have up to 5.
(Something to do with minimizing the variation in torque, as I remember it.)

The winding wiring comes down to 2 wires per winding (Bipolar Drive), where
when you to reverse the current through the windings, you have to reverse
the applied voltage.  You either need two power supplies, or an H drive
circuit.

Or 3 wires per winding means a Unipolar Drive.  The winding is split in half
(usually bifilar, two windings wrapped the same).  To create a magnetic
field of a given polarity, you pass a current through the center tap of
a winding and one end.  To create the opposite polarity field, you send
the same polarity current between the center tap and the other end of the
winding.  Turning both on at the same time is a waste of power, as
the fields should cancel.  Usually the center tap is connected to the
power, and the driver circuit grounds one end or the other.
If you can ignore the center tap, (Hard to do in a 5 wire motor where
the center taps of two windings are connected), you can treat a Unipolar
winding as a Bipolar one.

Some things to remember with stepper motors.

Don't expect it to work if you take it apart and put it back together.

They are an easily customized product, without much standardization
(especially the wiring).  You may find the stuff in the surplus market
is a one of a kind, or at best a limited run item, and the one next to
it in the bin is something very different.

They are just wire and magnets, so there is no firm limit to the
amount of abuse.  They don't have things like breakdown voltages.
You ask the manufacturer what it can take, and he says "well, it
will melt at such and such temperature".

Not only are the windings inductors, combined with the magnets, a stepper
motor can be a generator.   Drive circuits may have to take this into
account.

For some neat stuff check out the SGS-Thomson "Industrial and Computer
Peripheral ICs" databook.  For serious engineering stuff, check for
the proceedings of the annual conference on "Incremental Motion".
And literature from manufacturers like Hurst and Sigma.

Mark Zenier  markz@ssc.uucp  mzenier@polari.uucp