[sci.electronics] Stereo Repair

tortajad@sunny9.DAB.GE.COM (Robert Tortajada) (05/16/91)

Can someone offer a good source of information about stereo repair. I have an
Amp that always blows the two fuses after the transformer. I would like to fix
it myself but know little about troubleshooting tecniques. I am an EE so I
don't need a very basic book, just some hints and such.

The Amp is a Harmon Kardon  HK-660(?) in the hopes that someone might have a
repair manual for it.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

zahid@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Zahid Ahsanullah) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May15.175812.25749@ge-dab.GE.COM> tortajad@sunny9.DAB.GE.COM (Robert Tortajada) writes:
>Can someone offer a good source of information about stereo repair. I have an
>Amp that always blows the two fuses after the transformer. I would like to fix
>it myself but know little about troubleshooting tecniques. I am an EE so I
>don't need a very basic book, just some hints and such.
>
>The Amp is a Harmon Kardon  HK-660(?) in the hopes that someone might have a
>repair manual for it.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Bob

A good start would be to chunk the output power transistors
of both channels. Normally this is what would make the
fuse blow. After making sure these are blown, plug in any
5 amp complementary pair. You don't need to put in the exact
same kind if it's not available and don't worry too much
about eqivalents if it's a hassle. I don't know of any books
out there that might help you. As with any electrical equipment,
please be very careful of electrical shocks and shorts. Things
might blow up sometimes when the power is turned on so be careful.

As usual, use this advice at your own risk.

Regards
Zahid