[sci.electronics] Digital Output On CD Players

graeme@research.canon.oz.au (Graeme Wong See) (04/28/91)

I have a digital output on my Yamaha CD player. Could anyone give me any
information on how to decode the information that comes out on the output
or pointers to where this information can be found

Thanks,

Graeme

--
Graeme Wong See, Hardware Engineer           | Net:  graeme@research.canon.oz.au
Canon Information Systems Research Australia | Phone: +1 61 2 805 2912

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr28.131743.3630@research.canon.oz.au>, graeme@research.canon.oz.au (Graeme Wong See) writes:
> I have a digital output on my Yamaha CD player. Could anyone give me any
> information on how to decode the information that comes out on the output
> or pointers to where this information can be found

Second the motion.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan (x1116), Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Internet:  jeh@dcs.simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh

mll@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Mark Luce) (05/04/91)

/ hpfcso:sci.electronics / jeh@dcs.simpact.com /  5:32 pm  Apr 30, 1991 /
In article <1991Apr28.131743.3630@research.canon.oz.au>, graeme@research.canon.oz.au (Graeme Wong See) writes:
> I have a digital output on my Yamaha CD player. Could anyone give me any
> information on how to decode the information that comes out on the output
> or pointers to where this information can be found

Second the motion.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan (x1116), Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Internet:  jeh@dcs.simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh
----------

     The digital outputs found on some CD players are designed to be used
with pre-amps which have their own D/A converters, or outboard D/A converters.
There are more and more of these types of products on the market. The idea
is to keep the signal in digital form as long as possible...

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (05/04/91)

In article <1991Apr30.163259.2311@dcs.simpact.com> jeh@dcs.simpact.com writes:
>In article <1991Apr28.131743.3630@research.canon.oz.au>, graeme@research.canon.oz.au (Graeme Wong See) writes:
> > I have a digital output on my Yamaha CD player. Could anyone give me any
> > information on how to decode the information that comes out on the output
> > or pointers to where this information can be found

I know absolutely nothing about the digital formats, but I do know that
there are at least two different types of digital output on CD players.
One type is the random access digital signals that you would need to make
the CD player into a CD rom reader.  There was another format a few years
ago that never really got off of the ground.  It was supposed to be for
video and text to put liner notes, photos, and lyrics directly onto a
CD.  You would connect the decoded output to your TV or Video monitor,
then watch the stuff as the CD played.  I recall seeing several CD players
that offered this (including Sony machines), but only a hand full of CDs
ever encoded any information in this format.  The plug for this was similar
to a DIN connector, only smaller.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                       ...uunet!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

jeh@cmkrnl.uucp (05/13/91)

In article <7480020@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM>, mll@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Mark Luce) writes:
>      The digital outputs found on some CD players are designed to be used
> with pre-amps which have their own D/A converters, or outboard D/A converters.
> There are more and more of these types of products on the market. The idea
> is to keep the signal in digital form as long as possible...

good lord, man, we KNOW that much.  The question is, how do you go from the
signal at the digital out jack to (for example) 2x16-bit parallel data?

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Kernel Mode Consulting, San Diego, CA

ww@macwcw.meediv.lanl.gov (William Ward) (05/16/91)

writes:
>> There are more and more of these types of products on the market. The idea
>> is to keep the signal in digital form as long as possible...
>
>good lord, man, we KNOW that much.  The question is, how do you go from the
>signal at the digital out jack to (for example) 2x16-bit parallel data?

It been a while since the original entry was posted...I thought someone more
knowledgeable would have responded by now, so, I'll go ahead and through in my
$0.02 worth.

There are two standards for serial digital audio data exchange:  AES/EBU
(sometimes an XLR connector) and S/P-DIF.  I don't know where you would look
for the standards documents (the Audio Engineering Society would be one
starting point), but knowing the names should help.  I've seen an AES/EBU
document put out by Sony, I think, some 40 pages long with all the info about
the serial word format, error correction bits/schemes, etc..  At a recent
equipment exhibition, I saw a German company (HEAD Acoustics Gmbh) that was
showing a neat binaural processing system (with a dummy head stereo mic as
input and electrostatic headphones for output) that was based on a vanilla 286
machine that had NO A/D or D/A converters attached...they cleverly did all of
their processing using a DAT machine that is part of the package, exchanging
data over the digital ports with their own special hardware to interface (it
could be some 3rd party, I don't know).  National Instruments was displaying
their new DSP board (320C30-based) at the same exhibition, so I said to their
engineers, "Hey, you've got a serial digital input on that thing, why can't you
add some software to do digital audio I/O?"  I'm not sure if anything ever came
of that yet.  I think they could find a good market there.

If anyone is lucky enough to have a good DSP board in their PC, you could
probably get what you need with trivial hardware and some programming using
information from the standards.  But, for the real question, "How can I use the
data with hardware that costs less than my CD player?", I really don't have an
answer.  The standards may give enough info for a good hardware jock to come up
with a circuit, and there are sure to be VLSI chips that would help a great
deal, if you can find them.  But the DSP route is a good one because gives you
some options to answer the next question:  "OK, I've got parallel data coming
in at 176 kbytes/second...what do I do with it?"

Bill Ward

Disclaimer:  I am not an EE, so the above could be complete drivel.  My
knowledge of Head Acoustics and National Instruments products comes only from a
visit to the exhibit mentioned and a few brochures.

pyrros@cis.udel.edu (Christos Pyrros) (05/17/91)

I have a NeXTstation 8/105, which as some of you may know, has an on-board
Motorola DSP 56001.  The docs offer the following pin i/o data:

1 SCK
2 SRD
3 STD
4 SCLK
5 RXD
6 TXD
7 +12v; 500mA
8 -12v; 100mA
9 GND
10 GND
11 GND
12 SC2
13 SC1
14 SC0
15 GND

I know I need to contact Motorola to get more info on the DSP, but can I hook
up a cd player with digital output to this?  How bout a Laser Disc player with
digital out?  And are these output AES/EBU or S/P-DIF or both?

Also, does anyone know if the Pioneer VSX-D1S receiver (which has a DSP) has
digital i/o?  The store here that sells them _can't_ show me the back panel
and they have lost the owners manual; needless to say I'm taking my business
somewhere else but mail order places can't answer these questions.

Thanks,

Chris