[sci.electronics] Size of Resistor for NE-2H, NE-2

sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Steve Pershing) (05/16/91)

Just a quick question which I am sure someone can answer quickly:

What size of resistor should one put in series with NE-2's and NE-2H's, when
running them on 120vac?  (I seem to remember 100K and 2m, but I'm not sure.)

Thanks.

 ---
    Steve Pershing, System Administrator

 : The QUESTOR Project: FREE Usenet News/Internet Mail; Sci, Med, AIDS, more :
 :===========================================================================:
 : Internet: sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca     : POST: 1027 Davie Street,  Box 486 :
 : Phones:   Voice/FAX:  +1 604 682 6659 :       Vancouver, British Columbia :
 :           Data/BBS:   +1 604 681 0670 :       Canada  V6E 4L2             :

ee5391aa@triton.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (05/17/91)

In article <Fge221w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca
(Steve Pershing) writes:

>What size of resistor should one put in series with NE-2's and NE-2H's, when
>running them on 120vac?  (I seem to remember 100K and 2m, but I'm not sure.)

100 K is fine, 1/2 watt is sufficient.  Of course, if you're operating at 150
MHz (2m ;^), the effective resistance may be a bit higher than you expect....

haynes@felix.ucsc.edu (99700000) (05/17/91)

In article <Fge221w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Steve Pershing) writes:

>What size of resistor should one put in series with NE-2's and NE-2H's, when
>running them on 120vac?  (I seem to remember 100K and 2m, but I'm not sure.)

I seem to remember 220K and 56K, but then the right answer depends on how
bright you must have it and how long you want the neon to last.  You see
all kinds of equipment with those packaged neon assemblies, and after a year
or two they start flickering and pretty soon after that they go dark.

I see the following in a catalog. "Neons with the 22K resistor value give
brighter indication and have a minimum life of 5000 hours; those with
the 56K resistance value, however, have a life of 25,000 hours."  and
descriptions of lamp holders say the NE-51 lamp for 56K resistor and
NE-51H lamp for 22K resistor.
--
haynes@cats.ucsc.edu
haynes@ucsccats.bitnet

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art."
        Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle