[sci.electronics] Time by modem

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (05/22/91)

There are phone numbers you can dial to get the accurate time of day
by modem. Instead of trying to receive CHU or WWVB, why not simply auto-
dial one of them once per day?

Specifics were in PC Techniques recently.

Oddly, they use 300 baud, because it's truly asynchronous (one character
at a time) whereas 1200 and 2400 baud involve processing delays that
are somewhat hard to control.

Michael A. Covington | Artificial Intelligence Programs
The University of Georgia  |  Athens, GA 30602   U.S.A.

whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.024230.23977@athena.cs.uga.edu> mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:
>There are phone numbers you can dial to get the accurate time of day
>by modem. Instead of trying to receive CHU or WWVB, why not simply auto-
>dial one of them once per day?
>
>Specifics were in PC Techniques recently.

There are even utilities to do it for you. The program will dial the
US Naval Observatory, get the time, reset your system clock.

I know that such a thing is available for Amiga (with which I have used it,
and IBM.

Alan

|  D. Alan Whinery| The Institute for Astronomy, University of Hawaii   |
| Technical Genius| Internet: whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu               |