[sci.electronics] Sick NiCd Cell Cure?

cameronjames@snoc01.enet.dec.com (James Cameron) (05/15/91)

Wanted: documentation on curing nicad cells that are apparently dead.

I've got some nicad cells in sets that I use for assorted purposes.

When the series connected cells drop below their operating voltage, and the equipment
starts dying, I check the voltage of each cell.  Sometimes I find one cell is dead and the rest
are fine.  Sometimes the dead cell is at a reverse voltage.

My father told me of a way to cure these sick cells, it involves

    1) giving them half second bursts of 12VDC from a car battery or 5A power supply, until
        they keep a 1.2VDC level, monitoring

            a) the terminal voltage, ensuring that it does not increase beyond 1.6VDC,
            b) the cell temperature, ensuring that it does not get "hot".

    2) following up with a three minute ten-times-normal charging current; again keeping to
        the limits above,

    3) charge up to normal level,

    4) discharge to zero volts and charge again.

I would like to know if this procedure, or one like it, is documented anywhere.
And if so where?  Feedback by mail welcome; if there is sufficient interest I will post
a summary.
--
James Cameron
Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia) P/L

agodwin@acorn.co.uk (Adrian Godwin) (05/17/91)

In article <22682@shlump.lkg.dec.com> cameronjames@snoc01.enet.dec.com (James Cameron) writes:

>My father told me of a way to cure these sick cells, it involves
>
>    1) giving them half second bursts of 12VDC from a car battery or 5A power supply, until
>        they keep a 1.2VDC level, monitoring

I've used this procedure successfully in the past - I used a large electrolytic
capacitor rather than a continuous source. I think it was documented in 'Wireless
World' around 1975 - that's when I started doing it, anyway.

The theory was that some sort of crystals grew in the electrolyte and shorted out
the cell (though this won't be tha case if a cell is reverse-charged). The high
currents supposedly melted the crystals, removing the short.

Given the amount of rubbish that seems to be talked about NiCd failure modes this
may well be totally untrue - I'd certainly be interested to know !
However I can confirm that the procedure works : but not in every case, and the
repaired cells don't seem to stay repaired forever.

I haven't blown my limbs off trying this ..... yet (!)

-adrian

Adrian Godwin                                        (agodwin@acorn.co.uk)

bob@miranda.inmos.co.uk (Bob Green) (05/20/91)

Buy a new one !

--
|---------------------------------------|     or    bob@inmos.co.uk

george@wombat.UUCP (George Scolaro) (05/23/91)

In article <7137@acorn.co.uk> agodwin@acorn.co.uk (Adrian Godwin) writes:
>In article <22682@shlump.lkg.dec.com> cameronjames@snoc01.enet.dec.com (James Cameron) writes:
>>
>>    1) giving them half second bursts of 12VDC from a car battery or 5A power supply, until
>>        they keep a 1.2VDC level, monitoring
>

>The theory was that some sort of crystals grew in the electrolyte and shorted out
>the cell (though this won't be tha case if a cell is reverse-charged). The high
>currents supposedly melted the crystals, removing the short.
>
>Given the amount of rubbish that seems to be talked about NiCd failure modes this
>may well be totally untrue - I'd certainly be interested to know !
>However I can confirm that the procedure works : but not in every case, and the
>repaired cells don't seem to stay repaired forever.

GATES (a manufacturer of batteries) has a very good handbook which explains
how and why nicads and gell cells work. Also explained in detail is charging
techniques pros/cons and lots of other very useful information.

The Handbook is: Gates Energy Products, Sealed Rechargeable Batteries
Application Manual. I got mine from one of their distributors.

Regarding the above article (and roughly quoting the handbook):

-----
There exists 3 wearout mechanisms:

- Deterioration of the electrolyte

Primarily due to increasing carbonate concentration due to oxidation of
organic compounds in the separator, seals and vents. Loss of electrolyte
caused by excessive venting due to overcharge of cell reversal.

- Deterioration of the separator		<- this causes the shorts

Sealed nicads contain a porous synthetic-fabric separator. This material
provides electrical insulation and mechanical isolation between the +ve and
-ve electrodes. Shorts are primarily due to a degradation of this separator.
A conductive path forms through the separator shorting the cell. The rate of
separator degradation is a function of the integral of cell temperature over
time. A shorted cell may not always appear to have an electrical short, a
small short may allow enough charge current to flow to the electrodes and
charge the active material, while causing the cell to self discharge quickly
on completion of charging. If the conductive path through the deteriorated
separator has a low resistance, the charge current is partially shunted and
the cell will not be able to charge. If the cell voltage can be increased
enough by high charge currents, the shunting current is sometimes sufficient
to burn off or clear the shorted contact, providing a 'brief' extension to
life (sometimes colloquially referred to as zapping cells).

- Deterioration of the seal or vent integrity

The electrolyte and oxygen gas generated during overcharge (this happens
after the battery is charged, but the charging continues) are normally
contained within the cell. The sealing material is made of plastic and is
not completely immune to chemical attack. Eventually the seal sufficiently
deteriorates to the point where oxygen escapes causing the slow dryout of
the electrolyte.

Another section of the book describes the loaded storage of nicads, i.e. the
battery is totally discharged and left connected to the load.

When a nicad's voltage is held at zero or close to zero for an extended
period of time, the nicad is in a situation where creep leakage may occur.
Under these conditions there is a small but continuing growth of an
electrolyte film on the sealing surface of the +ve terminal. This creep
leakage, an electrochemical phenomenon, may ultimately cause small amounts
of the electrolyte to seep around or through the vent seal. When this
occurs small amounts of white crystals (potassium carbonate) appear on
the outside surfaces of the +ve terminal. This white material is minute
particles of the potassium hydroxide electrolyte which have reacted with
carbon dioxide in the air to form potassium carbonate. In rare cases,
this leakage may be large enough so that other components of the device
may be exposed to potential corrosion damage from the electrolyte.

---
All in all the handbook if very interesting and a must for anyone wanting
to design a charger for nicads or gell cells. It contains over 230 pages of
very informative text and diagrams.

best regards,
--
George Scolaro