[sci.electronics] Power Supplies For Ordinary Cameras in Astronomy

ghot@ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) (05/28/91)

I have a Minolta XG-1 which I would like to use to take astronomical
photographs. I have friends who have telescopes and adapters. But I
recently became aware of a new difficulty: if a shot is going to
require a long explosure (e.g. 90 minutes), the battery in the camera
will run out before the exposure is complete. Even with somewhat shorter
exposures, it is desirable to avoid having to buy a battery for every long
exposure.

I know there are special cameras one can buy but I think they must be
expensive. On the other hand, maybe it is not difficult to obtain or
build a portable power supply that can replace the battery, maybe from
a VCR portable power supply. I don't want to experiment with this
myself because I am afraid of burning up the camera.

Any ideas ?

Allan Adler
ghot@ms.uky.edu

al@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Al Peterman) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May28.040922.19112@ms.uky.edu> ghot@ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) writes:

>I have a Minolta XG-1 which I would like to use to take astronomical
>photographs. I have friends who have telescopes and adapters. But I
>recently became aware of a new difficulty: if a shot is going to
>require a long explosure (e.g. 90 minutes), the battery in the camera
>will run out before the exposure is complete. Even with somewhat shorter
>exposures, it is desirable to avoid having to buy a battery for every long
>exposure.

Get a mechanical camera body for astrophotography.  The exposure meter
does not even have to be operational, since they aren't able to
measure the very long exposures.  For a Minolta mount, try a used
SRT-101, 201, 202 or such.  These bodies are easily available at around
$25-50.  All you really need is a working "Bulb" setting and a locking
shutter release cable.  Open the shutter with the telescope covered
(after aiming) to reduce vibration, uncover the scope's mirror (or lens)
and let it expose.

Even newer cameras such as the Pentax K-1000 are suitable for this kind
of work, and cost under $120...

--
Alan L. Peterman                                   (503)-684-1984 hm
                       al@qiclab.scn.rain.com