[sci.electronics] Digital pots

masaki@elaine13.Stanford.EDU (Pixel) (05/26/91)

  I seem to recall that a few months back, digital volume controls were
discussed in this newsgroup.  I'm sorry if this is bringing up a dead
subject, but does anyone know a company that makes or sells digitally
controllable potentiometers which are of suitable quality for high
quality audio production. (I'm designing part of a sound mixing console.)
  Thanks for any help you can give me.

.....,,....,..  Albert Huntington           | Any government will work if
....,.,....,..  masaki@leland.stanford.edu  | authority and responsibility
...,..,....,..  (415) 497-6327              | are equal and coordinate...
..,,,,,,,,,,..  /~~~\  Stanford University  |
.,....,....,.. ( ^,^ ) doesn't even know    |  Lazarus Long (R.A. Heinlein)
,.....,....,..  \_~_/  or care about this.  |  _Time Enough For Love_

bender@oobleck.Eng.Sun.COM (memory fault - core dumped) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May25.232651.11094@leland.Stanford.EDU> masaki@elaine13.Stanford.EDU (Pixel) writes:
->
->  I seem to recall that a few months back, digital volume controls were
->discussed in this newsgroup.  I'm sorry if this is bringing up a dead
->subject, but does anyone know a company that makes or sells digitally
->controllable potentiometers which are of suitable quality for high
->quality audio production. (I'm designing part of a sound mixing console.)

I was reading an issue of EDN the other day, and noticed an ad for digital
pots from Dallas Semiconductor (I hope that's who it is).  Anyway, I think
they had several versions (i.e. number of steps and resistances) but the
neat thing that the ad mentioned was they they could be used as drop-in
replacements for a regular pot (or trimmer), AND they retained their setting
even when power was removed (just like a real pot/trimmer).

You might give them a call; they also make other kinds of neat stuff; their
forte seems to be lithium-battery-backed-up everything, and they also make
those clock-in-a-ROM-socket things.

mike
--
Won't look like rain,           Won't look like snow,            | DOD #000007
Won't look like fog,            That's all we know!              | AMA #511250

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May25.232651.11094@leland.Stanford.EDU> masaki@elaine13.Stanford.EDU (Pixel) writes:
>  I seem to recall that a few months back, digital volume controls were
>discussed in this newsgroup.  I'm sorry if this is bringing up a dead
>subject, but does anyone know a company that makes or sells digitally
>controllable potentiometers which are of suitable quality for high
>quality audio production. (I'm designing part of a sound mixing console.)
>  Thanks for any help you can give me.

   I, as resident audio fanatic, suggest not using the CMOS volume control
circuits which are so ubiquitous in consumer audio gear, because, quite
frankly, they sound bad.  Your best bet for quality is to use an 8-bit D/A
and use the output to drive an OTA.  The National Semi transconductance
amps are probably your best bet.
   Still, you'll get lower noise from a mechanical stepped attenuator :-).
--scott

bill@thd.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) (05/29/91)

You might want to try the LOGDACs from Analog Devices.  They can be
digitally programmed in 0.375 dB steps using an 8-bit control word.
The internal multiplying DAC is 17 bits and is driven by a built-in
decoder.  The attenuation range is 0 to 90 dB.  The part number is
AD7111.

BTW, you can probably do the same thing less expensively using a PCM56
type of 16- or 18-bit DAC and your own lookup table.  You might be able
to get away with an 8- or 12-bit DAC if you can stand bigger steps and
less dynamic range.  For a mixing console, however, you'd better use 16
bits or more.

BTW, for fun a few years ago, I wrote a GW-BASIC program for MS-DOS
that figures out the codes for an N-bit DAC to achieve 2^M
logarithmically spaced steps.  It calculates the required lookup table
plus the error in dB for each step (assuming perfect converter
linearity).  E-mail me if interested.
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
bill@tv.tv.tek.com, ...!tektronix!tv!bill                 Phone: (503) 627-6920