[sci.electronics] Synth Chips?

chris@max.UUCP (Christopher Nielsen) (05/22/91)

Does anyone out there know what generic type of chip is used in AdLib and
SoundBlaster boards? How about any other synth chips that are designed for
computer interfacing (low external component count required)?

I'm thinking about playing around with synth chips, and this would really
help. I can't be happy just buying one of the boards... I'll want to
expand, and improve it as soon as I get bored with it! I would like to
start with one of the above chips, in case I do want to use some existing
software...

Thanks a M

-Chris
thebes!max!chris

andreww@uniwa.uwa.oz (Andrew John Williams) (05/24/91)

chris@max.UUCP (Christopher Nielsen) writes:

>Does anyone out there know what generic type of chip is used in AdLib and
>SoundBlaster boards? How about any other synth chips that are designed for
>computer interfacing (low external component count required)?

I think they use DSPs like the TI32000 series, in which case they would
be mask programmed and not readily available. I have hacked a board
which can be used to read the contents of a programmed 32010/11/15 so
you could in theory copy those chips, but that is rather naughty.

If you are looking for really nice sounds, a DSP based system would be
the way to go. It however means you will have to design a fair bit of
hardware and software. DSP code is not entirely pleasant.

You can find quite a few analog type sound chips like the one used in
the Commodore 64, the 6581 SID chip. Connecting it to your PC could be
interesting and I don't know how much hardware hacking you want to do.

cheers
Teik.

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) (05/30/91)

In article <208@max.UUCP>, chris@max.UUCP (Christopher Nielsen) writes:
%%
%% Does anyone out there know what generic type of chip is used in AdLib and
%% SoundBlaster boards? How about any other synth chips that are designed for
%% computer interfacing (low external component count required)?
%%
%% I'm thinking about playing around with synth chips, and this would really
%% help. I can't be happy just buying one of the boards... I'll want to
%% expand, and improve it as soon as I get bored with it! I would like to
%% start with one of the above chips, in case I do want to use some existing
%% software...

Somebody already answered about DSP chips.

The "C/MS chips", standard in older SBs and essence of GameBlasters
were Philips SAA1099, very easily interfacable with a PC bus.
--
Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX