[sci.electronics] Fiberoptic cable, small quantity

schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) (05/17/91)

Hi,
	In my quest to gather material for my super-collosal
not-yet-build mega model railroad, I want to use some fiberoptics
for displays. But I can't seem to find a company which will sell
small quantities (i.e. 10 ft). There is a local distributor which
has rolls at 6000+ ft, but a little too expensive for me.

It doesn't have to be any special cable; "general use" will be
fine.

	Can anyone help me?

		Steven

--
Steven V. Christensen
U.C. College of Eng.

kgg@zinn.MV.COM (Kenn Goutal) (05/19/91)

In article <8511@uceng.UC.EDU> schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) writes:
>Hi,
>	In my quest to gather material for my super-collosal
>not-yet-build mega model railroad, I want to use some fiberoptics
>for displays. But I can't seem to find a company which will sell
>small quantities (i.e. 10 ft). There is a local distributor which
>has rolls at 6000+ ft, but a little too expensive for me.
>
>It doesn't have to be any special cable; "general use" will be
>fine.
>
>	Can anyone help me?
>
>		Steven
>--
>Steven V. Christensen
>U.C. College of Eng.
>schriste@uceng.uc.edu
>For the adventurous: svc@elf0.uucp

There was an article in /Model Railroader/ sometime in the last six
months (assuming I'm not having massive brain failure) that discussed
various uses of fiberop, and gave the address of a company from which
you could order it.  I don't remember which issue offhand, but if you
can't find it, bug me and I'll look it up.

-- Kenn Goutal

CompuServe:	71117.2572		(PARTI handle: kenn)
GEnie:		K.GOUTAL
Internet:	kenn@zinn.MV.COM   or	kenn@rr.MV.COM
[The] PO!NT:	kenn
Telepath:	kenn
UUCP:		...decvax!zinn!kenn  or	...decvax!zinn!rr!kenn

|  Ship and Travel Intermodally -- Commute Electronically!  |

winans@sirius.mcs.anl.gov (John Winans) (05/30/91)

In article <9850007@hpdtczb.HP.COM> mcghee@hpdtczb.HP.COM (Glenn McGhee) writes:
>Steven Christensen requested information on where to buy fiber optic cables.
>
>   JERRYCO Inc. has two types of fiber optics which may be usfull to the
>model builder.  One is 0.020" diameter and is sold in 100 ft. strands.
>The other is a bundel of four 0.06" diameter 5-1/2" long joined at one end.

[descriptions deleted]

>JERRYCO Inc. is a mail order warehouse dealing in surplus.
>
>Address:  JERRYCO Inc.               Phone:  708 475-8440
>          601 Linden Place
>          Evanston, Illinois  60202

I just got off the phone with these guys & it turns out that they sell over the
counter via the "American Science Center."  Any of you that are going to be in
Chicago or Milwaukee this Saturday or Sunday would probably like to know that
the American Science Center is having some sort of "tent sale" on those days.
They referenced the sale as a "rummage sale" when I called them and said that
it is held 2 times per year in their two stores.

Their Chicago store is at 5696 Northwest Highway.

Directions from the northwest burbs via O'hare are:
  take 294 and exit east on the kennedy (I 90)
  Continue on the Kennedy and exit North on Nagle
  at the second light (Northwest Highway) turn right & find it 1/2 block down.

Hours:
Saturday 9-5
Sunday   9-3

Disclamer:  I have never been to this place before, but thir management seems
to have a good sense of humor, judging from their commercials run on WXRT.  I
also don't know of anyone who works for them either.

Their ads on WXRT (my #1 favorite Chicago radio station) refer to all sorts of
chemestry stuff, electronics stuff and more.
--
! John Winans                     Advanced Computing Research Facility  !
! winans@mcs.anl.gov              Argonne National Laboratory, Illinois !