[sci.electronics] Surface mount advice wanted

iisakkil@vipunen.hut.fi (Mika R Iisakkila) (05/29/91)

eric@zen.maths.uts.edu.au (Eric Lindsay) writes:

> Does anyone have any hints and tips on
> hand soldering stuff that small? (I made up a couple of ...little...
> boards this weekend, and holding down chip resistors with a toothpick
> while you solder them with a 40 watt iron didn't impress me one little
> bit.)

After spending 4 months building prototypes and repairing existing
gadgets that were almost entirely SMD, I think I can give some advice
on hand soldering :-)

First of all, you'll need the thinnest solder wire you can find (you
have probably noticed that already...). I found 0.5mm wire to be thin
enough for soldering 44-pin PLCC-cased microprocessors and similar
beasts. A small soldering iron with a needle-like tip is a must too.

When you try to solder in a SMD resistor, transistor or some other
small component, melt some solder on one pad on the PCB first
(without the component). Then, hold the component at place with pincers
and just warm the solder bubble until the component drops at place.
After this, it is easy to solder the other contacts on the component.
Try not to roast the component itself, SMD resistors easily crack and
start malfunctioning in normal thermal stress during use.
Larger components, like ICs, are a bit harder but they can be soldered
with the same technique. Solder two pins at the opposite corners of
the IC first to hold it at place while working on the other pins.

It is very easy to make almost invisible short circuits while hand
soldering (the machines make even more of them...). PLCC cases (with
pins that bend underneath the case) can suck the offending solder
bridge so far that it's impossible to find it without an ohmmeter. A
clocksmith lupe (or better yet, a stereo microscope) is invaluable
while debugging.

Then, after you have found the short circuit, you'll notice that it's
difficult to fix it while the component is in place (although solder
removing wick or-whatever-it-is-in-English may help). Small components
(less than 4 pins) can be removed by heating them directly with a
soldering iron and _carefully_ pushing them with a small screwdriver.
Excessive force will break the PCB because the board and the miniscule
copper traces don't expand evenly with the heat. If you break the PCB,
you're in big trouble. The components are also easily destroyed by the
heat, so it's better not to reuse them unless you're short of cash.

Larger components are impossible to remove with a soldering iron
without ruining the PCB. The only way (that I know of) is to turn the
board upside down and heat the pins of the bloody chip with a hot air
blower until the chip falls off (don't push it, just shake the board
gently). It's much easier than it sounds. The chips will survive the
handling too, if you have an accurate blower and torch just the pins
of the chip. Most of the SMD components are actually amazingly tough
(they must be, to live through the IR oven in automatic soldering).

I could tell you something on the availability of components in
Finland too, but I guess that wouldn't be very useful to you...

Have a steady hand - regards, Mika Iisakkila

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (05/31/91)

In <IISAKKIL.91May28190249@vipunen.hut.fi> iisakkil@vipunen.hut.fi (Mika R Iisakkila) writes:

>Larger components are impossible to remove with a soldering iron
>without ruining the PCB. The only way (that I know of) is to turn the
>board upside down and heat the pins of the bloody chip with a hot air
>blower until the chip falls off

There is another way that works for flat-pack ICs, though not for the PLCC
types where the pins are bent under the chip. The only tools required are a
watchmaker's screwdriver (really small flat one) and a small soldering iron.
This method worked for me using a 15 Watt iron with the usual 45 degree bit.
Work on each pin individually, heating the pad and not the pin itself. Wiggle
the pin gently side to side with the screwdriver until it moves, remove the
heat and keep the pin moving until the solder has cooled. Repeat the process
with the rest of the pins, taking care not to heat the pins (pads) which have
already been loosened. This takes around 10 to 15 minutes for a 100-pin chip.

The screwdriver is made of black iron so the solder doesn't stick to it. The
solder melts on each pad long before the board gets damaged by excess heat
which would destroy the bonding between the copper and the board. Once three
of the four sides are loose, it is possible to lift the chip very slightly on
the side farthest from where it is still attached to the board. This makes the
last side a little easier because when the last pin has been desoldered the
chip just settles under gravity which helps it to seperate from the board.

--
Adam David.
(adamd@rhi.hi.is)

przemek@rrdstrad.nist.gov (Przemek Klosowski) (06/01/91)

Hello!

I used razor blades/scalpels for things like that. I suppose it would also
work for PLCC with leads tucked underneath the package. The razors are usually
coated with some plastic, so the solder does not stick to them. I would
put it across all pins on one side (side view)

--------+        H <- soldering iron
Flat    +--      U     //
Pack    |  \     U   //  <- blade, at smaller angle than I could draw here
--------|    \---- //

and then run the iron across the leads. Each time the blade will slide
a little further under the pins. The heat transfer will be small, since
per each pin it will average over time.
--
			przemek klosowski (przemek@ndcvx.cc.nd.edu)
			Physics Department

look@s30.csrd.uiuc.edu (Stephen Look) (06/01/91)

We use a hot air gun that originally was used for plastics welding. Just
circle the device a few times while gently lifting a corner with a Xacto
knife and within a few seconds the chip will pop off. This causes no damage
to chip or board. This works extremely well with leadless smd parts.
--
Steve Look	ka9szw				Center for Supercomputing R & D
look@s30.csrd.uiuc.edu				305 Talbot Lab  104 S. Wright