[sci.electronics] SORRY

iluvls@convex.csd.uwm.edu (James E Parks) (05/30/91)

               Two days ago I posted an article concerning
	       a certain get rich quick scheme, of which I
	       did not know was illegal. I am sorry for posting
	       FAST CASH and was not attempting to defraud
	       anyone. I was not aware that such messages
	       were illegal and am sorry for inconviencing
	       anyone who might have been offended, and any
	       disk space wasted on this. This will not happen
	       again, and again I am sorry.

			 J. Parks

			  P.S.

			  I am all for Death to DAVE RHODES

callahan@cs.jhu.edu (Paul Callahan) (05/30/91)

In article <12594@uwm.edu> iluvls@convex.csd.uwm.edu (James E Parks) writes:
>  [profuse apologies, ending with:]
>
>			  P.S.
>
>			  I am all for Death to DAVE RHODES

This is the most pathetic thing I've seen in my life.  My translation reads:
"I'm very sorry, but I sure hope they get that other guy who put me up to it."
Is there no longer any such thing as taking personal responsibility?  I'm
willing to forgive purely moronic behavior, but not when it has this sort
of sentiment tacked on to the end.

--
Paul Callahan
callahan@cs.jhu.edu

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (05/30/91)

In article <callahan.675565596@newton.cs.jhu.edu> callahan@cs.jhu.edu (Paul Callahan) writes:
>In article <12594@uwm.edu> iluvls@convex.csd.uwm.edu (James E Parks) writes:
>>  [profuse apologies, ending with:]
>>
>>			  P.S.
>>
>>			  I am all for Death to DAVE RHODES
>
>This is the most pathetic thing I've seen in my life.  My translation reads:
>"I'm very sorry, but I sure hope they get that other guy who put me up to it."
>Is there no longer any such thing as taking personal responsibility?  I'm
>willing to forgive purely moronic behavior, but not when it has this sort
>of sentiment tacked on to the end.

Agreed.
Was Dave Rhodes the person who put him up to it, or was Dave Rhodes the
person who publicly expressed disapproval when the con game message appeared?

At any rate, if James Parks really "did not mean to defraud anybody"
(as he said in his apology), then his knowledge of mathematics is sadly
deficient. All pyramid schemes fail because they require impossibly large
numbers of people, often exceeding the population of the earth after
ten or fewer steps.

My message to James Parks would be this: Until you learn that there is
no honest way of getting something for nothing, you will be a willing
victim of every con game that comes along.

Michael A. Covington | Artificial Intelligence Programs
The University of Georgia  |  Athens, GA 30602   U.S.A.

snicoud@boeing.com (Stephen L Nicoud) (05/31/91)

In article <callahan.675565596@newton.cs.jhu.edu> callahan@cs.jhu.edu (Paul Callahan) writes:
>In article <12594@uwm.edu> iluvls@convex.csd.uwm.edu (James E Parks) writes:
>>  [profuse apologies, ending with:]
>>
>>			  P.S.
>>
>>			  I am all for Death to DAVE RHODES
>
>This is the most pathetic thing I've seen in my life.  My translation reads:

Are you sure about that?  The "most pathetic thing"?  In your _life_?
I can think of a lot of things more pathetic than that and I'm sure
you can, too.

>"I'm very sorry, but I sure hope they get that other guy who put me up to it."
>Is there no longer any such thing as taking personal responsibility?  I'm
>willing to forgive purely moronic behavior, but not when it has this sort
>of sentiment tacked on to the end.

No flame intended here, but I think you are being overly harsh.  I've
seen the messages from the postmaster at the UWM site and feel more
than satisfied that the "offender" was just plain naive and ignorant.
He has obviously been educated (albeat with a firehose).  The
postmaster described the user as being extremely "contrite" about his
action.

It's pretty clear that James pushed one of your hot buttons.  But it
isn't clear that any great harm was done.  James' posting was followed
with more than enough articles that made it clear to readers that the
activity was illegal and not appropriate.  The "Dave Rhoades" postings
have been appearing for years.  James won't be the last one to do it.

I know, through the postmaster at UWM, that James is very much aware
of the trouble he has caused and why his posting triggered it.  I
don't believe, however, that continued berating will accomplish much.

Like I said at the beginning, this is not meant as a flame.  Think of
it as a request for a tempered response to James' apology.

Best Regards,

Stephen
--
Stephen L Nicoud  <snicoud@boeing.com>  uw-beaver!bcsaic!snicoud
Boeing Computer Services Research and Technology, Computer Science

n2557@cypress01.cray.com (Steven Levine) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.025825.29490@athena.cs.uga.edu> mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:

>At any rate, if James Parks really "did not mean to defraud anybody"
>(as he said in his apology), then his knowledge of mathematics is sadly
>deficient. All pyramid schemes fail because they require impossibly large
>numbers of people, often exceeding the population of the earth after
>ten or fewer steps.

When people try to interest me in a chain letter/pyramid scheme,
I try to point out that for every dollar you come out ahead, someone
somewhere comes out one dollar behind (there have been no exchange
of goods or services, just money being shuffled around).  For some
reason, this usually takes enormous amounts of energy and argument,
though most eventually come to understand the point.  I point out that
this feels like stealing to me, but that's idiosyncratic.  As long as they
understand that somebody else is losing money if they gain, then
it's not up to me to tell them it's wrong.

I often get the response, "But it's only $1"  (or 5, or whatever).

Steven Levine
n2557@cypress.cray.com

schumach@convex.com (Richard A. Schumacher) (05/31/91)

[apology for pyramid scheme, followed by flames]

Hey, don't dump on this guy too much. He did apologize,
which is far too rare on the Net.

tmkk@uiuc.edu (K. Khan) (05/31/91)

In article <48316@bcsaic.UUCP> snicoud@boeing.com (Stephen L Nicoud) writes:

>I know, through the postmaster at UWM, that James is very much aware
>of the trouble he has caused and why his posting triggered it.  I
>don't believe, however, that continued berating will accomplish much.

I agree. This kind of thing occurs often enough that you'd think site
administrators would make all new accountholders fully aware of
net.etiquette, including the posting of Craig Shergold appeals and
pyramid scams. At this University, students must go to the computer lab,
show their ID, sign a sheet, and then they get a little paper card with their
signon. I suspect most sites have similar procedures. Why not make up a
xeroxed sheet of paper with some guidelines on it to be handed out in
addition to the little card with their signon? Or, the more ambitious
could conduct little mini-training sessions: get the new people up to
speed on the machines, and at the same time tell them about the little
net.no-nos they want to avoid. I believe that we would see an immediate
reduction in the "naive" postings. Sysadms, are you listening?

phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (05/31/91)

In article <48316@bcsaic.UUCP>, snicoud@boeing.com (Stephen L Nicoud) writes:

|> I know, through the postmaster at UWM, that James is very much aware
|> of the trouble he has caused and why his posting triggered it.

Especially since the guy cancelled the article shortly after posting it.
I sent him what I hope was rather polite mail telling him the article was
a no-no.  He immediately said he would cancel it and within 2 hours, the
original article was gone off of our news host (I wish I could say the
same for all the followup messages!).

|> don't believe, however, that continued berating will accomplish much.

I agree.   Enough is enough.

New news users should be required to read ALL postings in
news.announce.newusers.  That's why that newsgroup exists, and the
postings there DO cover the pyramid scheme letters.

		William LeFebvre
		Computing Facilities Manager and Analyst
		Northwestern University
		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>

jfw@ksr.com (John F. Woods) (05/31/91)

snicoud@boeing.com (Stephen L Nicoud) writes:
>In article <callahan.675565596@newton.cs.jhu.edu> callahan@cs.jhu.edu (Paul Callahan) writes:
>>This is the most pathetic thing I've seen in my life.  My translation reads:
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>No flame intended here, but I think you are being overly harsh.  I've
>seen the messages from the postmaster at the UWM site and feel more
>than satisfied that the "offender" was just plain naive and ignorant.
>He has obviously been educated (albeat with a firehose).  The
>postmaster described the user as being extremely "contrite" about his
>action.

I happened to send James a message myself, and received a reply roughly
like what was posted, which didn't include the comment about wanting to
nail the probably-mythical Dave Rhodes.  I am quite content with his
apology, and would like to ask that we drop this before the phone charges
exceed what a successful scam would have raked in...

callahan@cs.jhu.edu (Paul Callahan) (05/31/91)

In article <48316@bcsaic.UUCP> snicoud@boeing.com (Stephen L Nicoud) writes:
[about my reaction to the apology]
>No flame intended here, but I think you are being overly harsh.

Yeah.  I guess so.  But, even so, I would have more respect for the poster
if he had taken all the blame for himself and not shifted any to the
originator of the letter.  I guess I'm of the "honor among thieves" school
of thought.

Anyway, if there is such a thing as criminal insanity, then there ought to
be such a thing as criminal stupidity, and the willing dupes of pyramid
schemes fit the bill nicely.  I hope this fellow has learned from his mistakes.
I mean, I hope he has learned  "you can't get something for nothing,"
not just "don't try anything funny on the net."

--
Paul Callahan
callahan@cs.jhu.edu

whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May30.025825.29490@athena.cs.uga.edu> mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:
>In article <callahan.675565596@newton.cs.jhu.edu> callahan@cs.jhu.edu (Paul Callahan) writes:
>>In article <12594@uwm.edu> iluvls@convex.csd.uwm.edu (James E Parks) writes:
>>>  [profuse apologies, ending with:]
>>>
>>>			  P.S.
>>>
>>>			  I am all for Death to DAVE RHODES
>>
>>This is the most pathetic thing I've seen in my life.  My translation reads:
>>"I'm very sorry, but I sure hope they get that other guy who put me up to it."
>>Is there no longer any such thing as taking personal responsibility?  I'm
>>willing to forgive purely moronic behavior, but not when it has this sort
>>of sentiment tacked on to the end.
>>

>Agreed.
>Was Dave Rhodes the person who put him up to it, or was Dave Rhodes the
>person who publicly expressed disapproval when the con game message appeared?

Dave Rhodes is the asshole who first said "Hmm, it works OK as a chain
letter... How about as a TEXT FILE!"

He wrote the file which begins:
My name is Dave Rhodes...
--
whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM | I don't know, who's at DDSW1? | whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM!
I asked YOU who's at DDSW1! Ok, there's a guy at DDSW1, right? | Right!

garyt@ios.Convergent.COM (Gary Tse) (06/03/91)

callahan@cs.jhu.edu (Paul Callahan) writes:
|In article <12594@uwm.edu> iluvls@convex.csd.uwm.edu (James E Parks) writes:
|>			  I am all for Death to DAVE RHODES
|My translation reads:
|"I'm very sorry, but I sure hope they get that other guy who put me up to it."

Is there really a Dave Rhodes who goes from campus to campus convincing
foolish young men to participate in these pyramid schemes?

--
Gary Tse,  garyt@Convergent.COM				(408) 435-3540
I know engineers.  They love to change things.  - Dr. McCoy