[sci.electronics] Nintendo

thinman@cup.portal.com (Lance C Norskog) (01/01/91)

I understand you folks have torn apart Nintendo controllers.
Please just point me to an archive somewhere, or mail me what
you saved off on the subject.

I'm interested in the zapper guns.  Are these light pens?
There's now a helmet with a zap gun as an eyepiece thing,
and stereo headphones.  I'd love to attach this to a PC.
Any hints?

I've got info on running Nintendo joysticks through a serial port;
and also on running Power Gloves in raw mode.  I'll be happy to
post or mail these out.

Thanks,
Lance Norskog

tscorbit@eos.ncsu.edu (THOMAS SAVAGE CORBITT) (06/03/91)

I was wondering if anyone had any information about the chips
or programming for a Nintendo????
I have heard that it is a souped up 6502 chip with
extra registers and/or larger data bus etc....
any information would be very helpful.
Email me at tscorbit@eos.ncsu.edu and I will post
a complete review of my findings.
thanks,
Tom .
(         witty sig pending       )

In article <1991Jun3.100758.14310@ncsu.edu> tscorbit@eos.ncsu.edu (THOMAS SAVAGE CORBITT) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone had any information about the chips
>or programming for a Nintendo????
>I have heard that it is a souped up 6502 chip with
>extra registers and/or larger data bus etc....

It's actually kind of a souped-down 6502.  No extra registers or larger data
bus.  They redesigned portions of it to get around MOS Technology patents,
which apparently made a few bits go slower.

The new Nintendo gizmo supposedly used a 65C816, which is a slightly souped
up 6502 -- it has 24 bit addressing, 8 bit data bus, a segmentation register,
16 bit accumulator, and a few 16 bit functions (no multiply though).

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.