[sci.electronics] Camera on a chip? I have seen announcement on it.

goldberg@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Mark Goldberg) (06/04/91)

In article <andrewg.675695025@earwax.pd.uwa.oz.au> andrewg@earwax.pd.uwa.oz.au (Andrew Greenhill) writes:
>In <31710001@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com> dclaar@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (Doug Claar) writes:
>>I read somewhere that a chip is in progress, or will soon be available,
>>that incorporates an entire video camera on a chip for ~$40. Does
>>anyone have information on this, or was this just wishful thinking
>>on someone's part?
>
>I am also interested in this, . . . . .

In the current issue of VIDEOMAKER magazine (targeted to camcorder hobbyists)
there is a new product announcement for such a device.  A photograph
and tabulation of available models is given.

The camera-on-a-chip is made by Chinon.  There are actually about 5
different variations, varying by minor features such as whether or not
external sync (genlock) is accepted.  The device looks like a simple
printed-circuit board witha few large ICs and one imaging chip with
a lens-mounting collar.  Obviously you must add the lens, control switches,
power supply, and appropiate packing or mounting for the whole caboosh.
I don't have the article in front of me, but according to my vague recollection
the models all have about a 330-line horizontal resolution.  Both color
and monochrome versions are available.  Regarding prices, they are a
helluva lot more than $40, but under $1,000.

VIDEOMAKER magazine is available on newstands and in bookstores.

=========David Taylor Research Center (a US Navy lab) - Annapolis, MD==========
    /|/| /||)|/  /~_/\| |\|)[~|)/~_  |  "Everyone's entitled to MY opinion."
   / | |/~||\|\  \_/\/|_|/|)[_|\\_/  |      goldberg@oasys.dt.navy.mil
"Poor is the man whose pleasure depends on the permission of another."-Madonna

jmaster@intelhf.hf.intel.com (Justin Masters) (06/05/91)

In article <8133@oasys.dt.navy.mil> goldberg@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Mark Goldberg) writes:
|In article <andrewg.675695025@earwax.pd.uwa.oz.au> andrewg@earwax.pd.uwa.oz.au (Andrew Greenhill) writes:
|>In <31710001@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com> dclaar@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (Doug Claar) writes:
|>>I read somewhere that a chip is in progress, or will soon be available,
|>>that incorporates an entire video camera on a chip for ~$40. Does
|>>anyone have information on this, or was this just wishful thinking
|>>on someone's part?
|>
|>I am also interested in this, . . . . .
|

|In the current issue of VIDEOMAKER magazine (targeted to camcorder hobbyists)
|there is a new product announcement for such a device.  A photograph
|and tabulation of available models is given.
|
|The camera-on-a-chip is made by Chinon.  There are actually about 5
|different variations, varying by minor features such as whether or not
|external sync (genlock) is accepted.  The device looks like a simple
|printed-circuit board witha few large ICs and one imaging chip with
|a lens-mounting collar.  Obviously you must add the lens, control switches,
|power supply, and appropiate packing or mounting for the whole caboosh.
|I don't have the article in front of me, but according to my vague recollection
|the models all have about a 330-line horizontal resolution.  Both color
|and monochrome versions are available.  Regarding prices, they are a
|helluva lot more than $40, but under $1,000.

I received my VIDEOMAKER yesterday, and I believe I saw the picture of it, but where the heck was the info about it?  It was really weird.  This single picture sits in the middle of the editorial comments section, and there's nothing to describe it.  I think it only mentioned Chinon, and nothing about price.