[sci.electronics] Tunnel diodes...who makes 'em these days?

CDHWilli@exua.exeter.ac.uk (Charles Williams) (05/28/91)

Feel free to flame me if this is a FAQ, but tell me where the FAQ list is
first!  Tunnel diodes are of interest to me because they should work okay at
low temperatures (ie 4K).  However I'm having difficulty finding anywhere that
still makes/supplies them.  Can anyone help with manufacturers please?
Email to me and I'll summarise and post.
Thanks in advance.

C.D.H.Williams@exeter.ac.uk

ornitz@kodak.kodak.com (Barry Ornitz) (06/04/91)

In article <CDHWILLI.91May28174423@exua.exua.exeter.ac.uk>
CDHWilli@exua.exeter.ac.uk (Charles Williams) writes:
>Feel free to flame me if this is a FAQ, but tell me where the FAQ list is
>first!  Tunnel diodes are of interest to me because they should work okay at
>low temperatures (ie 4K).  However I'm having difficulty finding anywhere that
>still makes/supplies them.  Can anyone help with manufacturers please?

This is not a frequently asked question.  In fact, I asked something similar
last year.  A number of "older" net readers were familiar with tunnel diodes.
A few kind souls even offered to open their "junque" boxes and give me a few!
[My application was a business one, so I did not take them up on their offers.
These folks were real gems; I was quite grateful for their offers.]  Many of
the younger folks in sci.electronics, those reared on micros, had never heard
of tunnel diodes.

In any event, I was only able to find one US manufacturer of tunnel diodes:
Custom Components, Inc.  They make a full line of germanium and gallium
arsenide devices, from amplifier diodes, to detector diodes, to oscillator
diodes, to switching diodes, to Schottky mixer diodes, to special microwave
devices, and to conventional back diodes.  They continue to supply all of the
GE tunnel diode devices from the 1960's too.  Their prices are not very
different from the 1960's prices for tunnel diodes either.  If you call them,
ask for Charles Blaine for technical questions.  Their full address is:
	Custom Components, Inc.
	P. O. Box 334
	Lebanon, New Jersey, 08833  USA
	201/534-6151
	201/534-5625 (facsimile)

Good luck with your project.
					Barry

 -----------------
 -----------------

ee5391aa@triton.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (06/04/91)

(Charles Williams) writes:

>Feel free to flame me if this is a FAQ, but tell me where the FAQ list is
>first!  Tunnel diodes are of interest to me because they should work okay at
>low temperatures (ie 4K).  However I'm having difficulty finding anywhere that
>still makes/supplies them.  Can anyone help with manufacturers please?

Hmmm...try one of the wide-spectrum catalogs like Newark.  AMTRAK uses a lot
of the things to prevent head-ons in their tunnels....

tk@wheat-chex.ai.mit.edu (Tom Knight) (06/05/91)

What makes you believe that tunnel diodes will work at 4K? I would
guess that carrier freezeout would start being a significant effect at
about 25K and would be near complete at 4K.  KT at T=4K is
approximately 3e-4 ev and the ionization energy of typical dopants is
more like 4.5e-2 ev, so you would guess that a fraction of about
1e-150 would be ionized (i.e. none).  Perhaps you are thinking of
Josephson junctions, which are made with metal/oxide/metal sandwiches,
and don't need to be doped.

In article <16303@life.ai.mit.edu> tk@wheat-chex.ai.mit.edu (Tom Knight) writes:
>What makes you believe that tunnel diodes will work at 4K? I would
>guess that carrier freezeout would start being a significant effect at
>about 25K and would be near complete at 4K...

I would also predict some problems with differential thermal contraction
causing cracking of package, chip, and/or leads well before then.  Back
when IBM was working on Josephson-junction computers, they put quite a
bit of effort into the problem of building circuit assemblies that could
go from room temperature to cryogenic temperatures and back repeatedly
and remain reliable.
--
"We're thinking about upgrading from    | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

CDHWilli@exua.exeter.ac.uk (Charles Williams) (06/07/91)

In article <16303@life.ai.mit.edu> tk@wheat-chex.ai.mit.edu (Tom Knight) writes:
>What makes you believe that tunnel diodes will work at 4K? I would
>guess that carrier freezeout would start being a significant effect at
>about 25K and would be near complete at 4K...

You *are* guessing.  See for example
B. Lengeler, Cryogenics 14 (1974) pp439-447

In article <1991Jun5.163259.1228@zoo.toronto.edu> (Henry Spencer) says:
>I would also predict some problems with differential thermal contraction
>causing cracking of package, chip, and/or leads well before then.  Back
>when IBM was working on Josephson-junction computers, they put quite a
>bit of effort into the problem of building circuit assemblies that could
>go from room temperature to cryogenic temperatures and back repeatedly
>and remain reliable.

Thermal contraction can be a problem, but not always.  A reasonably recent
review with 82 exciting references is
RK Kirshman, Cryogenics 25 (1985) pp115-122

BTW a Josephson version of the Am2901 4-bit Microprocessor has been protyped
by Fujitsu using Nb-AlOx-Nb technology.  Comparative performance:

Material      Clock (MHz)      Power dissipation (W)
Si            30               1.4
GaAs          72               2.2
Josephson     770              0.005

But that was over a year ago now.....