[sci.electronics] Digital dash

jeh@cmkrnl.uucp (05/31/91)

In article <1970@ole.UUCP>, ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) writes:
> [...]
>   Sometime ago, I asked the net about a weekend project to
> make a tachometer for my car. I got numerous replies, for
> which I am thankful. Hopefully I will soon have a complete
> digital dash. I will post a summary for those interested.

Projects for such have been appearing in the hobby mags every now and then for
almost forever.  There was even one in one of the trade magazines, _EDN_ I
believe, circa 1974 (!) or 75 or so. That one was for a motorcycle.

Personally I would steer clear (ha ha) of a digital dash.  Saab, who builds
fighter planes as well as cars, has done extensive research on what kinds of
gauges can be read the most easily.  The answer?  Old-fashioned analog, with a
moving pointer against a stationary background.  The pointer and scale can be
electronically generated (ie on a computer-generated display) or mechanical,
circular or bar-graph style, but whatever the variant, it beats a digital
display six ways from zero.  You see, it is usually far more important to know
that "you're nearly at redline" than that "engine speed is 6,253.8 RPM", and
it's MUCH more important to know that "your oil pressure is low" than that
"your oil pressure is 21.3 psi".

For rapidly-changing things like a tach, the pointer and scale have another
big advantage:  It is easy to see how fast the reading is changing.  This is
almost impossible to derive from a digital readout.

Color-coding the scale for good, warning, and bad ranges -- or adding
color-coded idiot lights -- obviously helps to draw attention to those gauges
that need reading at the moment.  But color-coding gets tricky even for
something as simple as an automobile engine.  For instance, my water temp.
gauge swings almost up to the red part of the scale as the car warms up, and
then the thermostat opens and it goes down to the middle of its range where
it's supposed to be.  What would be nifty would be something that would draw my
attention to that gauge if the reading stayed up near the redline for more than
a few minutes.

How about a heads-up display?  And ONLY display those instruments that are
indicating out of "nominal" range.  Mount a backlit LCD atop your dash, wire it
so the display is mirror-imaged, and read its reflection off the windshield. Of
course since both the inner and outer surfaces of the windshield will reflect
you will get some ghosting in the vertical dimension.  This is, I think, why
the fighters with heads-up displays have a special piece of optic surface just
for this purpose (with an antireflection coating on the far surface).

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Kernel Mode Consulting, San Diego CA
Internet:  jeh@dcs.simpact.com, hanrahan@eisner.decus.org, or jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!cmkrnl!jeh

tindle@ms.uky.edu (Ken Tindle) (05/31/91)

In article <12974@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu
(Clarence Wilkerson) writes:
}I used to have an add-on cruise control for a Plymouth.
}The pickup was activated by 2 small magnets taped and glued
}to the drive shaft, fairly near the transmission. The weight
}was small, and fairly balanced anyway.

In article <54642@rphroy.UUCP>, vbreault@gmr.com (Val Breault) writes:

}There's a lot of stuff happening under your car.  Stones, water, vibration,
}dust. Then too, the driveshaft will wobble several thousandths on it's spline.
}Rather than attempt to make something that will work in that rather hostile
}environment, why not try this idea?

}In the days before automotive computerization, a cruise control setup
}consisted of a mechanical device that was attached via flexible cable
}between the transmission and speedometer.  You should be able to get one
}of these pretty cheap at a nearby junk yard (oops, 'Automotive Recycler').

An interesting idea- how did this mechanical setup work?

It seems to me that an encoder wheel attached to the speedometer cable, with
an interrupter IR diode/ phototransistor pair is the way to go.  You have to
rig the cable drive to pass through, since it is illegal under Federal law to
disable the odometer on purpose.  This has the benefit of being more universal
as well, since one can find the speedometer cable on older cars without too
much hassle (fiddling with it in such a way that it doesn't break in two later
is the hard part).

This will get you away from the driveshaft, and provide pulses you can count
in a digital circuit.  With these pulses, you can use the circuit provided
by Dakota Digital in Radio-Electronics.  That speedometer circuit also has a
twenty-step LED bar driven from two LM3914N's for an "analog" display, acknow-
ledging the need for such.  You have to change their input conditioning stage,
since they use an inductive driveshaft sensor.

It's interesting to note that most aftermarket cruise controls now use a
connection to the ignition system instead of the driveshaft, which works IF
you don't have an "overdrive" transmission and this transmission is in its
highest gear (1:1) all the time the cruise is on.

So, can one of these older in-line mechanical devices be made to output a
pulse train?

--------------------------\ /-----------------------------------------------
INTERNET:tindle@ms.uky.edu | "Could you please continue the petty bickering?
BITNET: tindle@ukma.bitnet |  I find it most intriguing."   ---    Data,
Ken Tindle - Lexington, KY |  Star Trek, The Next Generation, "Haven"
--------------------------/ \-----------------------------------------------

vbreault@rinhp825.gmr.com (Val Breault) (05/31/91)

...<discussion of using early cruise control as part of digital dash>...

> An interesting idea- how did this mechanical setup work?

In the olden days, when the only electronics on a car was the radio, the
cruise control worked this way:

   The speed signal was carried by the speedometer cable to a mechanical
   device that was positioned under the hood.  Another speedometer cable
   carried the speed signal from that device to the speedometer itself.
   The device compared the desired speed against the actual speed and
   created an error signal using manifold vacuum.  The vacuum was supplied
   to a diaphragm that actuated the throttle.

If you get one of those buggers you can gut it and salvage some nifty stuff.
The housing with it's bearings and speedometer cable connectors will get
the speed signal to the existing speedometer.  With the mechanical comparitor
out of the way, you'll have plenty of room to mount your magnetic pickup.

Val Breault - vbreault@gmr.com

The opinions expressed by the author do not necessarily reflect the position of the General Motors Research Laboratories or the General Motors Corporation.

tonya@hpldsla.sid.hp.com (Tony Arnerich) (06/01/91)

I added on an after-market cruise control that used this setup.

A magnet and a weight (or was it 2 magnets?) was tie-wrapped onto
the driveshaft (the half-shaft, actually - the car was a SAAB with
FWD, and ~1" dia shafts). The inductive pickup was mounted on a
sheetmetal bracket that I custom-bent to get about 1/4" clearance.

It worked very well for at least 6 years (until I traded the car in)
without any need to readjust, replace, or repair.

Maybe you could find the relevant parts as a replacement kit?

tonya@sid.hp.com

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (06/03/91)

In article <1991May30.151040.50@cmkrnl.uucp> jeh@cmkrnl.uucp writes:
> Personally I would steer clear (ha ha) of a digital dash.

I would like to see both types of displays in my car.  I like the
analog needle to see rate of change, but I would also like to have
a digital display to see the precise speed my car is moving at.

For example, I know the State Patrol in Wisconsin (a very picky state
about traffic speed) normally does not give out speeding tickets unless
you are going 5MPH or more over the speed limit.  I would like to set
my cruise control at exactly 69MPH on the interstate.  With the analog
display, I never really know exactly how fast I am going.

Of course this assumes that a digital display is actually accurate to
the resolution that it displays at--which is not a good assumption unless
it has been calibrated.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications, Ltd.                        ...uunet!tcnet!newave!john

lester@infonode.ingr.com (Lester Bartel) (06/03/91)

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) writes:

>In article <1991May30.151040.50@cmkrnl.uucp> jeh@cmkrnl.uucp writes:

>For example, I know the State Patrol in Wisconsin (a very picky state
>about traffic speed) normally does not give out speeding tickets unless
>you are going 5MPH or more over the speed limit.  I would like to set
>my cruise control at exactly 69MPH on the interstate.  With the analog
>display, I never really know exactly how fast I am going.

>Of course this assumes that a digital display is actually accurate to
>the resolution that it displays at--which is not a good assumption unless
>it has been calibrated.

The speed of your readout can vary by over 2% depending on if you have
new or wornout tires on your car.  Figure about 3/16 inch usable tread
on a tire.  Subtract 2 times this from the diameter of a new tire and
recompute the circumference.  At 60 MPH thats over 1 MPH error.  So,
even if the display is accurately calibrated, tire wear will cause some
error.  Also, there is some tire slipage depending on road material and
conditions like water or sand (or ice :-) ).
--
Lester Bartel			b23b!naomi!lester@ingr.com
Dazix, An Intergraph Company	uunet!ingr!b23b!naomi!lester

ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) (06/03/91)

In article <1991May30.151040.50@cmkrnl.uucp>, Mr. Haha Jamie writes:

> Projects for such have been appearing in the hobby mags every now and then for
> almost forever.  There was even one in one of the trade magazines, _EDN_ I
> believe, circa 1974 (!) or 75 or so. That one was for a motorcycle.

  I am aware of this. The idea behind this venture is to make more
  than a just the run of the mill "digital dash"  Most articles
  (projects) in the mags do not come close. Even if they did, I would
  not use them. Takes the fun out of experimenting.

> Personally I would steer clear (ha ha) of a digital dash.  Saab, who builds
> fighter planes as well as cars, has done extensive research on what kinds of
> gauges can be read the most easily.  The answer?  Old-fashioned analog, with a

   This is perfectly true. But in the case of the speedometer, I would
   certainly like to have a completely digital readout. It is just
   easier to read.  The tach remains "analog" though I am still
   using comparators to make comparisons to light LEDs. The advantage:
   I can use different colored leds. I have a green section, an
   orange, and a red. When I am in the orange, I know I am approaching
   red.

   As far as reading battery voltage, I do need to know when I am
   charging and when I am discharging. (think of multicolored digital
   7-seg displays).

> moving pointer against a stationary background.  The pointer and scale can be
> electronically generated (ie on a computer-generated display) or mechanical,
> circular or bar-graph style, but whatever the variant, it beats a digital
> display six ways from zero.  You see, it is usually far more important to know
> that "you're nearly at redline" than that "engine speed is 6,253.8 RPM", and
> it's MUCH more important to know that "your oil pressure is low" than that
> "your oil pressure is 21.3 psi".

  BTW, the resolution of the tach is 50 rpm. (borderline too much) and
  oil will be green-orange-red.

> For rapidly-changing things like a tach, the pointer and scale have another
> big advantage:  It is easy to see how fast the reading is changing.  This is
> almost impossible to derive from a digital readout.
>
> Color-coding the scale for good, warning, and bad ranges -- or adding
> color-coded idiot lights -- obviously helps to draw attention to those gauges
> that need reading at the moment.  But color-coding gets tricky even for

  Not so idiotic.  The way I designed all of the stuff, is that as
  long as all the lights are green, I am fine. At a glance, I can find
  out if anything is wrong without actually taking the complete
  reading. For example, if I look down, and see everything green, I
  know everything is normal. If I look down, and see rpm approaching
  red (ie orange) I do a double take and see how close I am to it in
  terms of actual rpms..

> something as simple as an automobile engine.  For instance, my water temp.
> gauge swings almost up to the red part of the scale as the car warms up, and
> then the thermostat opens and it goes down to the middle of its range where
> it's supposed to be.  What would be nifty would be something that would draw my
> attention to that gauge if the reading stayed up near the redline for more than
> a few minutes.

  I think you need to have your thermostat looked at. The temp should
  approach red. Never be *in* it. Especially with summer coming up.

> How about a heads-up display?  And ONLY display those instruments that are
> indicating out of "nominal" range.  Mount a backlit LCD atop your dash, wire it
> so the display is mirror-imaged, and read its reflection off the windshield. Of
> course since both the inner and outer surfaces of the windshield will reflect
> you will get some ghosting in the vertical dimension.  This is, I think, why
> the fighters with heads-up displays have a special piece of optic surface just
> for this purpose (with an antireflection coating on the far surface).

  Thought of this one. Learjets have this. The only problem with this
  is that at noon or high sun, the reflection is almost non-existent.
  Would require high powered laser leds to light this.

  One final note. Digital becomes better when there is something
  intellegent you can do with the reading. I intend to use a 6811
  microcontroller which will tell me things like trip distance, miles
  per gallon, total distance, shift up (rpm too high), shift down
  (angle of car upwards or downwards, rpm too low)  and other things
  like that. Why all this? Because it is fun. Because it comes free.
  I have lots of free ports on the I/O. Because it is a challenge.
  Cars are some of the noisiest environments you can work with.
  Because I like to do things myself. And finally, because I don't
  have a tach or battery guage on my dash ^_^

> 	--- Jamie (Haha)Hanrahan, Kernel Mode Consulting, San Diego CA

  Shailendra
  ssave@caen.engin.umich.edu

agodwin@acorn.co.uk (Adrian Godwin) (06/03/91)

In article <847@newave.UUCP> john@newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III) writes:
>Of course this assumes that a digital display is actually accurate to
>the resolution that it displays at--which is not a good assumption unless
>it has been calibrated.

Don't just calibrate the digital speedometer - the pulse train it gets from
the speedo is dependent on wheel diameter, which is dependent on temperature
as well as tyre wear. If you want accuracy, consider using a Gunn-diode
microwave unit to measure ground speed by doppler shift.

-adrian

Adrian Godwin                                        (agodwin@acorn.co.uk)

jeh@cmkrnl.uucp (06/04/91)

In article <1973@ole.UUCP>, ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) writes:
> In article <1991May30.151040.50@cmkrnl.uucp>, Jamie Hanrahan writes:
>> Projects for such have been appearing in the hobby mags every now and then for
>> almost forever.  There was even one in one of the trade magazines, _EDN_ I
>> believe, circa 1974 (!) or 75 or so. That one was for a motorcycle.
>
>   I am aware of this. The idea behind this venture is to make more
>   than a just the run of the mill "digital dash"  Most articles
>   (projects) in the mags do not come close. Even if they did, I would
>   not use them. Takes the fun out of experimenting.

Then, taking your position to an extreme, you shouldn't be asking the net for
hints on driveshaft speed pickups -- experiment and figure it out for yourself!

Seriously, stumbling down blind alleys where others have gone before takes some
of the fun out of experimenting too.  It's useful to look at others' work if
only to get an idea of what not to do -- not necessarily for making a direct
copy.

That _EDN_ project, for instance, used only SSI and MSI TTL!!!  And it provided
only "dumb displays".  No way would anyone copy that today.  Still, there might
be some good ideas on signal pickup techniques, if nothing else.

>> .  For instance, my water temp.
>> gauge swings almost up to the red part of the scale as the car warms up, and
>> then the thermostat opens and it goes down to the middle of its range where
>> it's supposed to be.  What would be nifty would be something that would draw my
>> attention to that gauge if the reading stayed up near the redline for more than
>> a few minutes.
>
>   I think you need to have your thermostat looked at. The temp should
>   approach red. Never be *in* it. Especially with summer coming up.

I think you need to read the articles you respond to a bit more carefully.  I
said it gets "almost up to the red part", not *in* it.  The car is running
fine, thank you, and can take either side of the Grapevine at prevailing
traffic speeds in the summer with the air conditioner *on*, with not even a
hint of overheating.

But my underlying point is that a simple good-warning-bad indicator, based
solely on statically-defined ranges, is not really adequate.  And as long as
you're using a micro, you *can* do a better job.  In my example, I'd want to be
warned if my temp gauge was up *near* the red area for more than fifteen
seconds or so, even if it isn't *in* the red area, because that would be a
change from the car's typical behavior.  Similarly I'd want to be warned if
the gauge did *not* get near the red area during warm-up -- either the
thermostat is staying open all the time, or the temperature sensor has gone
bad.

>   One final note. Digital becomes better when there is something
>   intellegent you can do with the reading.

No argument here!  But that doesn't mean that the readouts have to be digital,
only the processing.

> I intend to use a 6811
>   microcontroller which will tell me things like trip distance, miles
>   per gallon, total distance, shift up (rpm too high), shift down
>   (angle of car upwards or downwards, rpm too low)  and other things
>   like that. Why all this? Because it is fun. Because it comes free.
>   I have lots of free ports on the I/O. Because it is a challenge.
>   Cars are some of the noisiest environments you can work with.
>   Because I like to do things myself. And finally, because I don't
>   have a tach or battery guage on my dash ^_^

Hey, no one said "don't do it"!  All I said was "*I* wouldn't use digital
readouts on the dash".  Go for it.  Experiment.  Try lots of options.
Interface to a G-Meter while you're at it!!!  Then write it up and sell it
to one of the hobby mags, both to recoup some of your parts costs, and so
that the rest of us can learn from YOUR experience!

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Kernel Mode Consulting, San Diego CA
Internet:  jeh@dcs.simpact.com, hanrahan@eisner.decus.org, or jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!cmkrnl!jeh

humphrey@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Tom Humphrey) (06/08/91)

For most Ford, GMC, VW and Chrysler applications, There is a company that
I am aware of that sells a pulse signal generator for these applications.
The unit attaches to the transmission where the speedo cable goes in and
puts out a given number of pulses per revolution.  This is a company that
makes and sells custom gauge sets. Classic instruments at (503)- 655-7900