[sci.electronics] Cruise Control Speed Pick-up

sje@xylos.ma30.bull.com (Steven J. Edwards) (06/04/91)

In article <1974@ole.UUCP> ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) writes:

> From article <JON_SREE.91May31225851@world.std.com>, by jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth):
>> In article <5170138@hplsla.HP.COM> tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) writes:
>>    ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) writes:
>>
>>    >  I am trying to get a signal from the drive shaft of my car
>>    >using an inductive pickup. (To calculate and display speed)

>> lighter, don't you see noise correlated with the spark plug firing
>> on top of the 12V ? Can that be used ?
>>

>     If I wanted a transducer for a tachometer, I would. I meant
>     automobile speed when I said speed. Sorry about that. For the
>     tach, I *am* using pulses from the primary of the coil. (A little
>     cleaner and easier than the cigarette lighter)

>     Good idea though.

	I believe that most cars manufactured in the past decade that
allowed cruise control as an option already have an electric pulse
signal terminal somewhere in the back of the speedometer housing.
This was true of a 1981 Volvo in which I installed cruise control, and
the instructions for the generic cruise control electronic module
seemed to indicate that this was a standard feature.  It is much
easier to use this as a signal source than to fiddle with the
driveshaft or with transmission cable mechanical linkages.

      == Steven J. Edwards           Bull HN Information Systems Inc. ==
      == (508) 294-3484              300 Concord Road         MS 820A ==
      == sje@xylos.ma30.bull.com     Billerica, MA 01821          USA ==
"That Government which Governs the Least, Governs Best." -- Thomas Jefferson

jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) (06/04/91)

sje@xylos.ma30.bull.com (Steven J. Edwards) writes:

>	I believe that most cars manufactured in the past decade that
>allowed cruise control as an option already have an electric pulse
>signal terminal somewhere in the back of the speedometer housing.

Actually not.  Most american cars (as of my tour of dealers last year)
still use electromechanical cruise control that involves having
the speedometer cable pass through the unit.

For speed pickup, you have 2 easy solutions.  If your car is manual
shift, you can simply use the spark signal from any convenient point.
Does not work for automatics because of torque converter slip.  As a
reference point, I built a cruise control for my 280 and used the
spark signal with great success.

Failing that, you can install a pickup like the aftermarket units such
as sears and penneys sell.  This involves glueing 2 magnets to the drive
shaft and positioning a coil nearby.  for magnets, you can get samarium-
cobalt magnets from Rat-shack now for a couple of bux that are
very powerful.  Strong magnets are needed to allow a lot of clearance
with the pickup.  For the pickup, you can either order a replacement
part from Sears or Penneys or  you can use the solonoid coil from something
like a washing machine water valve.  Back when I was building custom
cruise controls for Z-cars, that's what I used.  I could get a friendly
appliance repairman to save me all his defective valves.  Simply pass an
appropriately sized bolt through the core of the coil to make a pole
piece.

I developed a bullet-proof method of attaching the magnets to the drive
shaft. Mine have been on my Z for 10 years.  In addition to the magnets,
you 'll need some 1" fiberglass ribbon and some 5 minute epoxee.  I get
my ribbon in rolls from an electric motor repair shop.  They use it to
wrap windings.

Two magnets 180 degrees apart seem to be optimum.  To attach them, simply
stick them to the drive shaft.  Then impregnate about 2 feet of fiberglass
ribbon with the 5 minute epoxee.  Wrap this ribbon IN THE DIRECTION OF
ROTATION around the magnets, smooth and allow to harden.  Be sure to
use the 5 minute clear epoxee.  The real stuff that takes hours to
harden is too hard and will fracture from heat stress.  The 5 minute
stuff stays somewhat flexible.

The waveform from this pickup looks quite similiar to the bipolar sawtooth
characteristic of variable reluctor ignition triggers.  It is best
detected with a slope-sensitive zero crossing detector that triggers
when the waveform crosses the baseline.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)

johne@hp-vcd.HP.COM (John Eaton) (06/05/91)

>For speed pickup, you have 2 easy solutions.  If your car is manual
>shift, you can simply use the spark signal from any convenient point.
>Does not work for automatics because of torque converter slip.  As a
>reference point, I built a cruise control for my 280 and used the
>spark signal with great success.
----------
When my old after market cruise control gave up the ghost I replaced it
with a newer model. The old one had the magnet on the drive shaft while
the new one had a single wire that plugged into an unused terminal on
my electric spark control. Even with an automatic transmission it does
a reasonable job at speed control. It's not as good as the magnet but
I can live with it.

I couldn't figure out how they did it either.

John Eaton
!hp-vcd!johne

rambler@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Dan Meyer) (06/08/91)

Just for the record, I had a cruise control that used an ignition coil pick-up
in an automatic transmission car, and the tourque converter had no lock-up
clutch like many new cars, and the results were entirely acceptable. the
speeed of my car varied a couple of miles per hour, but it was really no big
deal. I learned to set the highest desired speed on the downhill sections of
highway, and away I went.

-- Dan

Remember: " Buffalo never Oink " Seen on a South Dakota travel brocure.
Advertisment: Try the Railway Post Office , a railfan BBS ! (612) 377-2197.
UUCP: {crash tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!rambler
INET: rambler@pnet51.orb.mn.org