[sci.electronics] SCSI <-> MFM

ewen@actrix.gen.nz (Ewen McNeill) (06/09/91)

I have been told that at one stage in computing history (probably not
_that_ long ago...), there existed one or more interface boards that
would connect to SCSI on one side, and an MFM drive on the other.  And
thus one could have a "SCSI" drive, without needing to buy another
drive.

I am not sure if these boards are still made.  However, I am looking for
one of them for something I am building.  I am quite prepared to accept
a second hand board, so long as it is in working condition.  A similar
board, doing SASI <-> MFM might be suitable instead.

Any pointers/contacts/etc appreciated.  Email, to the address below, or
posts in this group will be welcomed.  If anyone else can think of any
other UseNet groups to ask, I would be interested.

--
Ewen McNeill, ewen@actrix.gen.nz

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun09.025659.5795@actrix.gen.nz> ewen@actrix.gen.nz (Ewen McNeill) writes:
>I have been told that at one stage in computing history (probably not
>_that_ long ago...), there existed one or more interface boards that
>would connect to SCSI on one side, and an MFM drive on the other.  And
>thus one could have a "SCSI" drive, without needing to buy another
>drive.
>
>I am not sure if these boards are still made.  However, I am looking for
>one of them for something I am building.  I am quite prepared to accept
>a second hand board, so long as it is in working condition.  A similar
>board, doing SASI <-> MFM might be suitable instead.
>[...]

Adaptec, OMTI, et al, mfd such boards.  My own experiences center around the
Adaptec 4000A (MFM) and 4070 (2,7 RLL) cards which have served me well for
interfacing (for example) Maxtor XT2140, XT1140, XT2190, etc. drives to SCSI
busses on several computers.

Just today (Saturday) at the Silicon Valley Electronics Sidewalk Fleamarket I
saw hundreds of the 4000 cards in Weird Stuff Warehouse's booth.

If you want to contact them:

	Weird Stuff Warehouse / Surplus Solutions
	1190 Kern Avenue
	Sunnyvale CA  94086

	(408) 746-1100   [ FAX: (408) 746-1111 ]

'Tis was a strange Fleamarket; for example, a pallet (perhaps several hundred)
of hard disk drives was going for just $300 (three hundred bucks) for the whole
pallet.  Sheesh, if I only had a truck.

Pickings were almost as good as at the Silicon Valley Dumpster Crawl!  :-)

[For those who don't know, the "Dumpster Crawl" is an unofficial activity at
which the dumpsters of most companies are visited during the wee hours of the
morning ... the trick is to NOT get caught and to re-stock one's parts bins
with DRAMs, SIMMs, computers, monitors, disk drives, etc.  all the billyuns and
billyuns of $$$ worth of stuff that is simply thrown out ... even brand new
stuff that never went into production systems.  And, no, I haven't done that
myself ... just read about it in the local newspapers; I need "papers" (sales
receipts, etc.) for all the stuff I expense re: taxes).]

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]