[sci.electronics] Aluminum saves energy

grege@gold.gvg.tek.com (Greg Ebert) (06/06/91)

Lets get one point settled. Gold plating 60Hz conductors is silly and
wasteful. At 60 Hz, the skin-depth [depth at which amplitude falls to 1/e
of original value, or ~ 0.37] is of the order of 1 cm for all metals.
Even at higher frequencies (Ghz), skin-depths are roughly equal. So
skin depth is not an important issue when selecting conductors.

Gold has a *LOWER* conductivity (4.5e7 mho/m) than copper (5.8e7 mho/meter).
Aluminum is slightly less conductive (3.5e7 mho/meter).

Gold may exhibit high resistance to corrosion, but so does aluminum
oxide. [Aluminum develops a thin Al2O3 coating in the presense of O2].

Electrical transmission lines are sized based upon how much RMS current
they must carry. For a given conductivity, the relative cross-sectional
areas relative to gold are:

	Copper=0.78, Aluminum=1.29

Now consider weight. Because above-ground wires must be supported, and the
cost of the supporting structure is determined by the weight of the
conductor, you want to minimize weight for a given conductivity.
For a given conductivity, the weight/unit_length relative to gold is:

	Copper=0.36, Aluminum=0.18

Note: Al=2.7 gm/cc, Cu=8.9 gm/cc, Au=19.3 gm/cc

[tensile strength is another issue, too]

Gee wiz! Aluminum has the lowest weight/unit_conductance. Could that
possibly be why every utility company uses aluminum wire ? [sarcasm]

I havn't looked at the commodity market tables lately, but I still
think copper is more expensive per-pound than Aluminum.

luns@spocom.guild.org (Luns Tee) (06/10/91)

grege@gold.gvg.tek.com (Greg Ebert) writes:

> [tensile strength is another issue, too]
>
> Gee wiz! Aluminum has the lowest weight/unit_conductance. Could that
> possibly be why every utility company uses aluminum wire ? [sarcasm]

    As far as tensile strength goes, I seem to recall that power lines
are aluminum wrapped steel cables. The steel being there for tensile
strength, the strength of the aluminum is unimportant.