[sci.electronics] Magnafluxing

garnett@theory.TC.Cornell.EDU (Roger Garnett) (06/04/91)

Does anyone know of a source for inexpensive magnafluxing equipment, or
plans to make your own? I can wind my own coils, if need be.
I want to be able to check for cracks in auto suspension and engine parts.

(Magnafluxing, for those who don't know: put an ferrous object in a
magnetic field, and sprinkle on iron powder/filings. Any cracks will
show up as a break in the field patterns.)
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@BATCOMPUTER.TC.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   |
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!

In article <1991Jun4.153321.28549@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> garnett@theory.TC.Cornell.EDU (Roger Garnett) writes:
>Does anyone know of a source for inexpensive magnafluxing equipment, or
>plans to make your own? I can wind my own coils, if need be.
>I want to be able to check for cracks in auto suspension and engine parts.
>(Magnafluxing, for those who don't know: put an ferrous object in a
>magnetic field, and sprinkle on iron powder/filings. Any cracks will
>show up as a break in the field patterns.)

	My best suggestion for "inexpensive" magnetic particle inspection
apparatus is to check with used machinery dealers, such as McKean Machinery
Sales of Cleveland, OH and Olean, NY.  Used Magnaflux apparatus is readily
available for as little as a few hundred dollars for a small solenoid-type
device to provide longitudinal magnetization.  Devices that produce
circular magnetization by passing actual current through the specimen
are usually much more expensive.

	I have never seen any DIY magnetic particle inspection apparatus,
although I suppose it is possible to design and build something.  The
necessary currents and magnetic fields are significant.  As an example,
for circular magnetization a current of at least 250 amperes/in-diameter
is necessary for even minimum particle development - fine resolution
inspection may require 1,000 amperes or more per inch of diameter.

	Most magnetic particle inspection is performed using AC magnetic
fields, although DC is used on highly stressed specimens where it is
desirable to identify surface and subsurface defects.

	You may wish to consider an alternate, and less expensive
inspection method using a dye-penetrant, such as Zyglo [tm].

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231       {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635   [note: ub=acsu.buffalo.edu] uunet!/      \aerion!larry