[sci.electronics] Gold saves energy.

sehari@iastate.edu (Sehari Babak) (06/05/91)

Recently, there were much talk about way to reduce the energy consumption.
This not only  saves money, but eventually saves life as well.

Having this in mind, I am curious that haw much energy would we save. If
we gold plate all Al wires that is used for transportation of the energy?

Let us assume we have one mile of wire. It would probably costs around say
$1000 to $2000 to gold plate this wire.  Now depending on the current that
passes through this wire, we might save $2000 to $4000 in the first year
alone. This saving might increase even further, if the oil prices goes up
again, which is a very likely possibility due to declining oil reserves of
the world.

Has any research been conducted in this way of saving energy.

jshapiro@mcs213a.cs.umr.edu (Jeff Shapiro) (06/05/91)

In article <sehari.676081817@du248-12.cc.iastate.edu> sehari@iastate.edu (Sehari Babak) writes:
>Recently, there were much talk about way to reduce the energy consumption.
>This not only  saves money, but eventually saves life as well.
>
>Having this in mind, I am curious that haw much energy would we save. If
>we gold plate all Al wires that is used for transportation of the energy?

     [Stuff deleted]

I don't have my CRC handy but I'm pretty sure that gold is only used for
electrical contacts because it is pretty much inert.  I think both copper
and aluminum have better resistivities than gold.

Anybody have any numbers?

Jeff Shapiro
jshapiro@cs.umr.edu

haynes@felix.ucsc.edu (99700000) (06/05/91)

One table I have shows the resistivity of gold is 1.4 greater than copper,
and aluminum is 1.6 greater.  Silver is .94 relative to copper.  The
reason gold is used on electrical contacts is that it doesn't form an
insulating tarnish film.
--
haynes@cats.ucsc.edu
haynes@ucsccats.bitnet

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art."
        Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle

shirriff@sprite.berkeley.edu (Ken Shirriff) (06/05/91)

In article <16640@darkstar.ucsc.edu> haynes@felix.ucsc.edu (99700000) writes:
>One table I have shows the resistivity of gold is 1.4 greater than copper,
>and aluminum is 1.6 greater.

I think this discussion of resistivity is missing the point; what matters
is resistivity relative to cost.  If material A costs 10 times as
much as material B but has half the resistivity, you're probably
better off making cables out of B that are twice as thick than using cables
of A.  (Assuming the material cost is the only significant cost.)

In any case, I don't see what the sense of gold-plating the wires would
be; that sounds like rec.audio voodoo.

Ken Shirriff			shirriff@sprite.Berkeley.EDU

wreck@fmsrl7.UUCP (Ron Carter) (06/05/91)

In article <sehari.676081817@du248-12.cc.iastate.edu> sehari@iastate.edu (Sehari Babak) writes:
>... I am curious that haw much energy would we save. If
>we gold plate all Al wires that is used for transportation of the energy?
>
>Has any research been conducted in this way of saving energy.

Conduct your own research.  It's easy!

1.)	Compute the amount of gold a dollar will buy.  (It's
	about $350 for 1 Troy ounce, or 1/14 lb).
2.)	Compute the amount of aluminum a dollar will buy.
	(Scrap is selling for around $1/lb; new might be $2.)
3.)	Compute the diameter of a meter-long gold wire
	containing your $1 of gold.
4.)	Compute the diameter of a meter-long aluminum wire
	containing your $1 of aluminum.
5.)	Using values for impedance of metals (available in
	the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics), compute
	the resistance of the two meter-long wires.

The wire with the lower resistance would deliver power with
smaller losses for the same cost, and is the energy-saving winner.

So.  What answer did you come up with?

digex@world.std.com (doug e humphrey) (06/05/91)

For your calculations, scrap aluminum, good bulk scrap and not
a bunch of crushed cans that need a lot more processing, sells
for 40 to 50 cents per pound; I am pretty sure that the finished
product, in shape to make waire, or even already drawn as wire,
will cost way under $2.00 per pound.

Doug

In article <sehari.676081817@du248-12.cc.iastate.edu> sehari@iastate.edu (Sehari Babak) writes:
>Having this in mind, I am curious that haw much energy would we save. If
>we gold plate all Al wires that is used for transportation of the energy?

Uh, what makes you think gold plating will save energy?  The only effect
of a thin layer of gold plating on the surface, aside from making the cables
pretty :-), will be to make them a bit more corrosion-resistant.  Corrosion
is not normally a serious problem anyway.

To improve the conductivity of the cables, you're going to have to replace
the bulk material, not just add a plated surface.

P.S. Silver would be a better choice than gold for bulk conductivity.
--
"We're thinking about upgrading from    | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

dclaar@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (Doug Claar) (06/05/91)

Gold plating wires might work, but there are already cable theft
problems with the current materials. I don't see how you could
keep people from stealing the cable.

--Doug Claar
dclaar@cup.hp.com

touch@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Joseph D. Touch) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.163512.1314@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <sehari.676081817@du248-12.cc.iastate.edu> sehari@iastate.edu (Sehari Babak) writes:
>>Having this in mind, I am curious that haw much energy would we save. If
>>we gold plate all Al wires that is used for transportation of the energy?
>
>Uh, what makes you think gold plating will save energy?
>
>To improve the conductivity of the cables, you're going to have to replace
>the bulk material, not just add a plated surface.

Are you sure?  I thought AC travelled on the surface of the wire, not
in the bulk, or is this just a very high frequency phenomenon?  In
that case, plating would help a bit - in fact, you could use the
plating without the interior bulk (ala waveguides).

	Joe Touch
	University of Pennsylvania
	Dept of Computer and Information Science
	touch@cis.upenn.edu

tonya@hpldsla.sid.hp.com (Tony Arnerich) (06/06/91)

> Recently, there were much talk about way to reduce the energy consumption.
> This not only  saves money, but eventually saves life as well.

> Having this in mind, I am curious that haw much energy would we save. If
> we gold plate all Al wires that is used for transportation of the energy?

> Let us assume we have one mile of wire. It would probably costs around say
> $1000 to $2000 to gold plate this wire.

Penny-wise and dollar foolish. How are you going to get the gold onto the
wire?

simnet@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark R Poulson) (06/06/91)

In article <43275@fmsrl7.UUCP>, wreck@fmsrl7.UUCP (Ron Carter) writes:
> In article <sehari.676081817@du248-12.cc.iastate.edu> sehari@iastate.edu (Sehari Babak) writes:
> >... I am curious that haw much energy would we save. If
> >we gold plate all Al wires that is used for transportation of the energy?

Do you want to plate the wires or make them solid gold? Plating is only going
to help where the cable is terminated. Solid gold conductors would be quite
expensive. Note that power lines are rather large cable carrying tens (or is
it hundreds?) of amperes and gold ones couldn't be a much smaller gauge.

If you think that because the current is AC (so most of the current is carried
on the outside of the cable) you should notice that 60Hz AC is not too effected
by the skin effect so current flows throughout all of the cable.

Resistance in terminations could be overcome by making much larger terminations
out of cheap aluminum instead of small expensive gold ones.

I think you would save more money by using larger diameter aluminum cable (or
parallel cables of the size used now) to give a lower resistive loss.

		Mark

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (06/06/91)

There's a story lurking about this topic.

During WWII, some guys in a place named Oak Ridge needed some copper.
It seems as if they wanted to play with electromagnets for some reason.
;-}

Trouble was, LOTS of folks needed copper for other things, too.  So the
boffins got to thinking, and one with some special papers went one
state away to a place called Ft. Knox - where he had an appointment
with a big cheeze.

After examining his guest's papers (that declared him to worthy of
trust and confidence AND engaged in vital war-work) the cheeze asked:

BC	And what can we do for you, Dr. Boffin?
DB	We need to borrow some silver.
BC 	Well, we don't usually loan out silver, but you appear
	to be very important. How much do you need?
DB	Oh, about 8 tons or so....

Guess the big cheeze got chest pains for some reason :_]
But they got it all back!
--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM

ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) (06/06/91)

From article <1991Jun5.163512.1314@zoo.toronto.edu>, by henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer):

> Uh, what makes you think gold plating will save energy?  The only effect
> of a thin layer of gold plating on the surface, aside from making the cables
> pretty :-), will be to make them a bit more corrosion-resistant.  Corrosion
> is not normally a serious problem anyway.

   There is something known as the skin effect, due to which, the
   higher the frequence, the closer to the skin the current travels.
   This is one of the reasons why the cables are never solid, but a
   bundle of thinner wires. The other reason is of course to have some
   tensile strength.
   With this knowledge, I would think that the bulk would not matter
   so much as the "skins" of the individual wires. So we would have to
   just coat the outermost wires with gold(so that they don't corrode)
   but coat all the inner wires with silver (since they are not in
   contact with external factors) so as to reduce resistivity to
   current through it.

   Just my 2.76 yen worth (today's rate).

   Someone please verify the skin effect stuff.

   Shailendra
   ssave@caen.engin.umich.edu
   sumax!ole.uucp!ssave

IO80900@MAINE.MAINE.EDU (06/06/91)

If I'm not mistaken, at room temps., silver is the best conductor,
followed (somewhat closely) by copper, then gold, then aluminum.
-C@G
C.A. Gagnon
IO80900@MAINE.BITNET
io80900@maine.maine.edu
But then again, what do I know...

rlbell@sunee.waterloo.edu (Richard Bell) (06/06/91)

In article <44194@netnews.upenn.edu> touch@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Joseph D. Touch) writes:
>Are you sure?  I thought AC travelled on the surface of the wire, not
>in the bulk, or is this just a very high frequency phenomenon?  In
>that case, plating would help a bit - in fact, you could use the
>plating without the interior bulk (ala waveguides).
>
>	Joe Touch
>	University of Pennsylvania
>	Dept of Computer and Information Science
>	touch@cis.upenn.edu

AC does not use the entire area of the conductor, only the outer two-thirds.
The inner third of the bundle is used for sturctural strength only, and is
replaced with a steel cable.  Because the overhead wire is made up of
individual strands, it would be hard to plate the "outer surface".

luns@spocom.guild.org (Luns Tee) (06/06/91)

jshapiro@mcs213a.cs.umr.edu (Jeff Shapiro) writes:

> I don't have my CRC handy but I'm pretty sure that gold is only used for
> electrical contacts because it is pretty much inert.  I think both copper
> and aluminum have better resistivities than gold.

   Gold is third and Aluminum is fifth on the list. Specific resistances
(resistance of a wire one foot long, one mil diameter, at 20 deg C) are

Silver    9.9
Copper   10.4
Gold     14.7
Chromium 15.6
Aluminum 17.0
Titanium 19.2
Sodium   25.9
Magnesium 26.2
Calcium   27.6
Rhodium   28.2
Tungsten  30.1
Manganese 30.1
Molybdenum 31.9
Zinc       34.6
Iridium    36.7
Potassium  36.7
Nickel     41.7
Cadmium    42.3
Indium     50.3

 do I need to go on? :-)

   Anyway, Aluminum is used instead of copper in power lines because its
cheaper. Ontario Hydro says that they've had problems with people
stealing copper power lines. =:-O

   As for Gold (and Chromium) plating, you're right on the money.

shirriff@sprite.berkeley.edu (Ken Shirriff) writes:

> I think this discussion of resistivity is missing the point; what matters
> is resistivity relative to cost.  If material A costs 10 times as
> much as material B but has half the resistivity, you're probably
> better off making cables out of B that are twice as thick than using cables
> of A.  (Assuming the material cost is the only significant cost.)
>
> In any case, I don't see what the sense of gold-plating the wires would
> be; that sounds like rec.audio voodoo.

   There's one point you missed when it comes to RF connectors - the skin
effect. At higher frequencies, electrons tend to travel at the surface of
a conductor. If that happens to be oxidized copper or aluminum, the
benefit of a bit of gold plating would be worth it. Along the length of a
conductor though, the insulation is good enough to keep oxygen out.

elec140@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (06/06/91)

In article <1987@ole.UUCP>, ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) writes:
>    There is something known as the skin effect, due to which, the
>    higher the frequence, the closer to the skin the current travels.
>    This is one of the reasons why the cables are never solid, but a
>    bundle of thinner wires. The other reason is of course to have some
>    tensile strength.
>    With this knowledge, I would think that the bulk would not matter
>    so much as the "skins" of the individual wires. So we would have to
>    just coat the outermost wires with gold(so that they don't corrode)
>    but coat all the inner wires with silver (since they are not in
>    contact with external factors) so as to reduce resistivity to
>    current through it.
>
>    Just my 2.76 yen worth (today's rate).
>
>    Someone please verify the skin effect stuff.

What you say is correct as far as it goes. However the "skin depth" (ie the
thickness of the "skin" carrying most of the current) is dependent on
frequency. The higher the frequency the thiner the "skin" and you've got
problems. However from memory, the skin depth at 50 Hz (yes I'm in that part of
the world) is about 10 mm, which equates to a lot of gold !-)

Chris Kaiser
Postgrad - Elec Eng Dept
Canterbury University
Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND

E.MAIL: kaiser@elec.canterbury.ac.nz
	"When you're fresh out of lawyers
 	 You don't know how good it's gonna feel"
		- Al Stewart, 1988

johne@hp-vcd.HP.COM (John Eaton) (06/06/91)

<<<<
< Let us assume we have one mile of wire. It would probably costs around say
< $1000 to $2000 to gold plate this wire.
----------
One mile of one inch cable plated to 10 microinches of gold would consume
about 2 cubic inches of the metal. With plating and handling your numbers
look low.

Perhaps we should try mercury filled power lines.

John Eaton
!hp-vcd!johne

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (06/07/91)

>Are you sure?  I thought AC travelled on the surface of the wire, not
>in the bulk, or is this just a very high frequency phenomenon?  In

You're referring to the "skin effect," which is dependent both on the
frequency in question and the conductive material.  In copper at 60 Hz, the
skin effect is pretty much negligible.   The formula for the skin depth -
in millimeters - for copper is depth = 66.1/SQRT(f), with f being the
frequency in Hz.  For 60Hz, then, we have a skin depth of 8.53 mm, or about
1/3 in.  Any practical plating of the wire, even if it were with a material
of significantly better conductivity than aluminum (and gold *isn't*) simply
wouldn't be worth the effort.

Such "plated" wires (although I'm not sure that's how they're manufactured)
are in use, however.  For example, a type of wire called "copperweld," which
has a copper cladding over a steel core, is widely used for antennas and
other RF applications; the copper handles the RF energy, while the steel
provides strength.  A similar construction is used in some power-line cases,
with a steel core surrounded by copper or aluminum strands, and for the same
reason.

A good question, though.

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
myers@fc.hp.com                          |  sentient life-form on this planet.

rwa@cs.athabascau.ca (Ross Alexander) (06/07/91)

touch@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Joseph D. Touch) writes:
>In article <1991Jun5.163512.1314@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>To improve the conductivity of the cables, you're going to have to replace
>>the bulk material, not just add a plated surface.
>Are you sure?  I thought AC travelled on the surface of the wire, not
>in the bulk, or is this just a very high frequency phenomenon?

Skin effect is a function of frequency.  At DC, it's nil.  It doesn't
get particularly important until you're up around 100 MHz.
Qualification of last statement: yes, I know all the lofer phreaks
wind their stuff from Litz wire and they're only at 160 KHz or so.
But I'm speaking of the really high-power domain, like kilowatts.  At
lower powers, does it really matter much that a % or two of the power
is heating the cable?  Not to me, for one.

Also: a quick look in the Rubber Bible reveals that silver is
significantly better than gold as a bulk conductor.  Of course, silver
is much more suspect to corrosion, but you can cure that with a coat
of varnish.  It's fairly common practise to silver-plate VHF and UHF
cavities, but only the military bother to do this at HF.

--
Ross Alexander    rwa@cs.athabascau.ca    (403) 675 6311    ve6pdq
		`You were s'posed to laugh!' -- Zippy

elec140@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (06/07/91)

In article <2470021@hp-vcd.HP.COM>, johne@hp-vcd.HP.COM (John Eaton) writes:
> Perhaps we should try mercury filled power lines.
>

> John Eaton
> !hp-vcd!johne

Now there's an idea! Substitute phone lines for power lines and sell it to AT&T
for millions! You wouldn't need to send dc power down the phone lines then, you
could pump the mercury down one line and back up the other, and use the flow to
drive a turbine at the subscribers end! Of course you'd have to have a
non-continuous flow at the sub's end, otherwise their phone line would be
permanently shorted. A minor technical difficultly :-)

wlsmith@valve.heart.rri.uwo.ca (Wayne L. Smith) (06/07/91)

In article <7Fs532w164w@spocom.guild.org> luns@spocom.guild.org (Luns Tee) writes:
>   Anyway, Aluminum is used instead of copper in power lines because its
>cheaper. Ontario Hydro says that they've had problems with people
>stealing copper power lines. =:-O

I've heard stories of people tying copper lines to the back of their pick-ups
and driving down country roads, ripping the lines off the poles.

dave@seas.gwu.edu (Dave Owczarek) (06/07/91)

In article <7Fs532w164w@spocom.guild.org>
luns@spocom.guild.org (Luns Tee) writes:

>   Anyway, Aluminum is used instead of copper in power lines because its
>cheaper. Ontario Hydro says that they've had problems with people
>stealing copper power lines. =:-O

Today's Washington Post reports that an asteroid has been found orbiting the
Sun at a distance of about 20 million miles from Earth (closest point).  It
apparently contains 10000 tons of gold and 100000 tons of platinum, as well
as 10 billion tons of iron and 1 billion tons of nickel.  Its estimated
worth was put at around 1 trillion dollars.

Lets haul it in and make gold power lines out of it.  :^)

-Dave

Dave Owczarek, Operations Team  dave@seas.gwu.edu or uunet!seas.gwu.edu!dave
The George Washington University Engineering Computing Facility,  Wash. D.C.

gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) (06/08/91)

In article <1987@ole.UUCP> ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) writes:

>   Someone please verify the skin effect stuff.

Skin effect is of negligable effect at power line frequencies, bulk
conductivity still rules. If you raise the frequency to take advantage
of skin effect, you start to run into radiation losses as the length of
the conductors becomes an appreciable fraction of a wavelength. For
typical spans, most of the electrical energy would be lost to radiation
across only one span at less than 2 Mhz.  300/Mhz defines the wavelength
in meters for a given frequency.

Long distance transmission today uses DC at ultra high voltage to minimize
the amount of current the conductor is required to carry for a given
amount of power. Power loss is proportional to I^2*R, so the lower the
current, the lower the loss for a given conductor. Use of DC rather than
AC eliminates radiation losses over the long spans of long distance power
lines.

Gary

sirakide@motcid.UUCP (Dean Sirakides) (06/08/91)

wlsmith@valve.heart.rri.uwo.ca (Wayne L. Smith) writes:

>In article <7Fs532w164w@spocom.guild.org> luns@spocom.guild.org (Luns Tee) writes:
>>   Anyway, Aluminum is used instead of copper in power lines because its
>>cheaper. Ontario Hydro says that they've had problems with people
>>stealing copper power lines. =:-O

>I've heard stories of people tying copper lines to the back of their pick-ups
>and driving down country roads, ripping the lines off the poles.

Of course there are the failed attempts:

A couple a weeks ago in Chicago the charred remains of a man were found
between two transformers on top of a ComEd pole.  The man was wearing
dish washing gloves and holding a hack saw (I think if I were going
to steal copper I'd go after the plumbing :)

Dean.

lrk@k5qwb.lonestar.org (Lyn R. Kennedy) (06/09/91)

wlsmith@valve.heart.rri.uwo.ca (Wayne L. Smith) writes:

> In article <7Fs532w164w@spocom.guild.org> luns@spocom.guild.org (Luns Tee) wr
> >   Anyway, Aluminum is used instead of copper in power lines because its
> >cheaper. Ontario Hydro says that they've had problems with people
> >stealing copper power lines. =:-O
>
> I've heard stories of people tying copper lines to the back of their pick-ups
> and driving down country roads, ripping the lines off the poles.

We had one in Dallas where two guys climbed a power pole to steal the
wire. The enterprise failed when they got to the 7200 volt stuf. One
of my friends describes this as 'self policing'. Took a while to
recover the bodies.

                 lrk@k5qwb.lonestar.org
73,              utacfd.utarl.edu!letni!kf5iw!k5qwb!lrk
Lyn Kennedy      K5QWB @ N5LDD.#NTX.TX.US.NA
                 P.O. Box 5133, Ovilla, TX, USA 75154

-------------- "We have met the enemy and he is us."  Pogo --------------

john@qip.UUCP (John Moore) (06/09/91)

In article <2943@ke4zv.UUCP> gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) writes:
]In article <1987@ole.UUCP> ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) writes:
]>
]>   Someone please verify the skin effect stuff.
]
]Skin effect is of negligable effect at power line frequencies, bulk
]conductivity still rules. If you raise the frequency to take advantage

At 60 Hz, the skin depth (where current density is reduced to 1/e of
its value at the surface) is .85 centimeters. Thus, for large conductors
it would have some effect.

]of skin effect, you start to run into radiation losses as the length of
]the conductors becomes an appreciable fraction of a wavelength. For
]typical spans, most of the electrical energy would be lost to radiation
]across only one span at less than 2 Mhz.  300/Mhz defines the wavelength
]in meters for a given frequency.

Where the current flow is balanced in a power line (normal case),
the radiation is negligible - the contributions by the conductors
cancel each other out.

--
John Moore HAM:NJ7E/CAP:T-Bird 381 {ames!ncar!noao!asuvax,mcdphx}!anasaz!john
USnail: 7525 Clearwater Pkwy, Scottsdale,AZ 85253 anasaz!john@asuvax.eas.asu.edu

gibbons@csn.org (Hugh Gibbons) (06/11/91)

In article <sehari.676081817@du248-12.cc.iastate.edu> sehari@iastate.edu (Sehari Babak) writes:
>Recently, there were much talk about way to reduce the energy consumption.
>This not only  saves money, but eventually saves life as well.
>
>Having this in mind, I am curious that haw much energy would we save. If
>we gold plate all Al wires that is used for transportation of the energy?
>
>Let us assume we have one mile of wire. It would probably costs around say
>$1000 to $2000 to gold plate this wire.  Now depending on the current that
>passes through this wire, we might save $2000 to $4000 in the first year
>alone. This saving might increase even further, if the oil prices goes up
>again, which is a very likely possibility due to declining oil reserves of
>the world.
>
>Has any research been conducted in this way of saving energy.

Electricity is transmitted at near-dc (quasi-static) frequencies;
under these conditions, the skin depth (depth of penetration of the
curent into the wire )is very long, so the wire would have to be
essentially solid gold to really get a significant  reduction in
resistance.

By the way, silver is a better conductor.
--
:-) Hugh Gibbons (-: