[sci.electronics] Looking for Rgb to composite adapter

gathings@cs.utk.edu (Golando Gathings) (06/10/91)

	I am looking for a little ckt that will take the ttl
levels of either a mono or color card of a pc compatible and convert
it to a composite signal.  I have seen it done before , but I do
not have the refs with me at this time.  All replies are welcome.

Thanks

Golando

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (gordon hlavenka) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun9.235022.20505@cs.utk.edu>
   gathings@cs.utk.edu (Golando Gathings) writes:

>	I am looking for a little ckt that will take the ttl
>levels of either a mono or color card of a pc compatible and convert
>it to a composite signal.

I have here a thing called the "Missing Link".  It's an oldie, perhaps
out of production.  It has a DB-9 on one end, and an RCA jack on the other.
You plug it on the RGB output of a CGA card, and it makes composite video.

There's nothing in it but resistors; email me if you want specifics.

The address on the package:  Active Components
                             4000 W. Clearwater Ave.
                             Kennewick, WA  99336
                             (509) 783-5065

This gizmo will produce grayscale BW video.  If you can dig into a CGA card,
you should be able to cobble up a burst and get color.  (Actually, every CGA
I've seen has had a composite output...)

Incidentally, know why the original PC ran at 4.77 MHz?  Because they could
use a crystal timebase running at 14.318180 Mhz and divide it by 3 (the 8284
clock driver does /3) to get something less than 5 MHz, the spec on cheap
8088s.  If you divide that same crystal by 4 you get...  If they'd used a 15Mhz
rock for the 8284, they'd have had to spend an extra 50 cents on every CGA
card to put a burst crystal on it.

I don't know of a way to get composite from an MDA/Herc card without proc-
essing; the scan freqs are all wrong for NTSC.

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?

mzenier@polari.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun9.235022.20505@cs.utk.edu> gathings@cs.utk.edu (Golando Gathings) writes:

>	I am looking for a little ckt that will take the ttl
>levels of either a mono or color card of a pc compatible and convert
>it to a composite signal.  I have seen it done before , but I do
>not have the refs with me at this time.  All replies are welcome.

1. Radio-Electronics  December 1989

2. Circuit Cellar Ink, Issue #1 and #2

3. Motorola Application note AN-932, "Application of the MC1377 color encoder"

The special delay lines and coil used to be listed as a seperate category
in the TOKO section of the Digi-Key catalog.  They may still carry them.

Remember that the horizontal line period has to be 63.555 microseconds
and the vertical period has to be 16.683 milliseconds for any NTSC
equipment to come close to accepting the output.  This rules out
mono and hercules cards.

Mark Zenier  markz@ssc.uucp  mzenier@polari.uucp