[sci.electronics] Infra-Red Laser police radar guns...

wlsmith@valve.heart.rri.uwo.ca (Wayne Smith) (06/11/91)

There's been some talk lately about these new police `radar' guns on rec.autos
(I'm not sure if the term radar applies here).  Anyways, what I want
to know (from you laser experts) are:

The danger to drivers' eyes of getting laser light fired at them,

The ability of using IR detectors to detect the laser light,

The reflectivity of cars (ie modern cars with lots of front and rear
reflective plastic lenses vs older cars without them)

The jamming capability of car mouted IR diodes and/or incandescent headlights

BTW, I'm referring to the new radar guns which use laser light instead of
micro-wave radiation to determine a vehicle's speed.

dkazdan@cwsys3.cwru.edu (David Kazdan) (06/12/91)

In article <3343@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> wlsmith@valve.heart.rri.uwo.ca (Wayne Smith) writes:
>There's been some talk lately about these new police `radar' guns on rec.autos
>(I'm not sure if the term radar applies here).  Anyways, what I want
>to know (from you laser experts) are:
>
>The reflectivity of cars (ie modern cars with lots of front and rear
>reflective plastic lenses vs older cars without them)

I notice that the new Ohio license plates are retro-reflective--I wonder
if this is in preparation for laser speed traps?

		David Kazdan, AD8Y
		dkazdan@cwsys3.cwru.edu