[sci.electronics] Excavating gold in the space--world gold production

peterk@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Peter Kauffner) (06/13/91)

asldh@acad2.alaska.edu writes:
>Are these quantities large enough to distort the market, or am I blowing a
>false alarm?

World gold production is about 1,500 tons a years. 10,000 tons should be more
enough to create a significant distortion. I doubt asteroids pose much threat
to gold prices, tho. Mining an asteroid will be godawful expensive.

Peter Kauffner                      UUCP: {crash tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!peterk
Minneapolis, Minnesota              INET: peterk@pnet51.orb.mn.org

"The more I study religion, the more I become convinced that man has
never worshiped anything except himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton