[sci.electronics] MMIC's

crisp@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Russ Crisp) (06/14/91)

Hello again fellow netlanders.

I'm interested in building a couple of low-noise high-gain
vhf-uhf preamps, and have been told that MMIC's are great
little devices for such purposes, since they are stable, and
most configurations require but a few external components.

I've searched through all my catalogs, Digi-Key, Mouser,
Newark, etc.. and there is no mention of MMIC's in any
of them.  My question for some knowledgable person(s)
on the net is:  Where can I find: 1) a source of MMIC's
and 2) some information, and possibly circuit ideas on
the pratical application of these devices.  If I knew
the name of a manufacturer, I could call on them for info,
but I'm totally in the dark here.  Can some kind soul
help me out?

Thanks very much!
Russ Crisp
Western Carolina Univers

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (06/14/91)

MMICs were discussed at length in QST, late 1987, and there is some
information in any post-1987 ARRL Handbook.

Michael A. Covington | Artificial Intelligence Programs
The University of Georgia  |  Athens, GA 30602   U.S.A.

gd@erg.sri.com (Greg DesBrisay) (06/14/91)

Check out Mini-Circuits in Brooklyn, NY, and Avantek in Santa Clara, CA.

Greg
gd@sri.com

frankb@hpsad.HP.COM (Frank Ball) (06/15/91)

/ crisp@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Russ Crisp) / 12:31 pm  Jun 13, 1991 /

*I've searched through all my catalogs, Digi-Key, Mouser,
*Newark, etc.. and there is no mention of MMIC's in any
*of them.  My question for some knowledgable person(s)
*on the net is:  Where can I find: 1) a source of MMIC's
*and 2) some information, and possibly circuit ideas on
*the pratical application of these devices.  If I knew
*the name of a manufacturer, I could call on them for info,
*but I'm totally in the dark here.  Can some kind soul
*help me out?

Avantek Inc.
3175 Bowers Ave.
Santa Clara CA 95054

408-727-0700

They make quite a variety.  They have MSA-XXXX style part
numbers.  They are very good and cheap.

example:
MSA-1105 3dB bandwidth 50 MHz - 1.3 GHz
3.6 dB noise figure typ at 500 MHz
12 dB typ gain at 500 MHz
third order intercept point +30 dBm at 500 MHz

Mini Circuits
PO Box 166
Brooklyn, New York 11235
718-934-4500

MAR-X style part numbers.  Very similar to Avantek, slightly
lower TOI specs.  Cheaper.  I think these are made by Avantek,
but didn't quite meet Avantek's specs.

They are very easy to use.  They require input and output DC
blocking capacitors and a DC bias on the output (with a resistor
and maybe an inductor).  They are 50 ohms in/out.

Higher gain parts have exellent noise figure, but poorer flatness
and TOI.  Low gain parts have worse noise figure.  They are very
stable devices.

Frank Ball   frankb@hpsad.HP.COM   pyramid!hplabs!hpsad!frankb